SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-07-2006, 05:27 AM
Sage Icon

Discovering SageTV servers

Please help - I've been at this for hours. I'm just starting to set up my Sage network and none of my clients can find the Sage Server. One client found it one time and that was it. I've already tried reinstalling the software. I get the same message everytime, "Unable to connect to the SageTV server at the specified address.....etc"

The first time it discovered the 192.xxx address automatically. After that I have tried to put it in and Sage just won't connect. I am able to ping the address and I'm able to map and see the drives on the network and see them in My Computer as drive letters (that I mapped). I also see that the SageTV Service Control is enabled and started. I'm at a loss as to what to do next. I have also tried disabling my firewalls and still no luck.

All advice appreciated,
Thanks,
Mike
Old 01-07-2006, 10:18 AM
Administrator

The only things I can suggest are in this FAQ.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-07-2006, 02:52 PM
Sage Icon

How can I be absolutely sure that the client and server are the same version (I'm pretty sure they are but I just want to double check)? You would think that Sage would be more detailed on the error such as "incorrect versions" or "duplicate keys", etc. I had Sage server on a client workstation which I've now moved to my main machine and installed a client (where the server used to be). But, I don't think that's the problem because it won't work on my other computer as well. How can I double check to make sure they are no duplicate keys as well (I'm pretty sure I did everything right) and it did connect one time so I just don't understand the problem.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 01-07-2006, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1961
How can I be absolutely sure that the client and server are the same version
The version is shown on the System Information screen. For v4 & later, they don't have to match exactly, but they do have to be compatible versions. v4 cannot talk to v4.1, but v4.1.3 can be used with v4.1.4.

Quote:
How can I double check to make sure they are no duplicate keys as well (I'm pretty sure I did everything right) and it did connect one time so I just don't understand the problem.
You can't get a report of what key is on each machine. If you suspect that there are duplicate keys in use, then you shoudl use the REGISTER command line parameter to reregister each one... and then mark what each client is using.

Did you configure each client to auto-connect in the past & then changed the address of the server? If so, then you can try clearing this property: autoconnect_server_hostname

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:14 PM
Sage Icon

Hello - I have more information. I remember last night (as I mentioned in my prior post) I was able to sign on once. Now, what I remember is while signed on I received a message that says:

the connection to the SageTV server has been
lost. Attempting to restore the connection...

The reason I remembered this is when I checked (per your last reply) in the properties: autoconnect_server_hostname=

it was as above. I then tried to change it to: autoconnect_server_hostname=192.168.1.104
which is my server's IP and it still did not work but when I change it to that it again gives that message. I then tried to change my server's IP to a fixed IP and it still doesn't work. But, I can easily ping the server and I have drives mapped to it from the client. I even tried to install version 4.1.3 (both client and server) instead of 4.1.4 and still no luck. I think the client and server are in a different workgroup but I can't imagine that that would matter since the IP range is the same (192.168.1.xxx) and the subnet masks are the same and I can ping it and map the drives.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 01-07-2006, 10:43 PM
Sage Icon

I found these to be true:

1. Your server must have a static IP. If it DHCPs and gets a different address someday than it had the first time the client(s) connected, the clients cannot "find" the server even if you specify to the client the new IP. I don't know if this is intended or cockpit trouble on my part. But no reinstall/reregister of the client at my site allowed the client to EVER use an IP different from its first-ever connection to the server. Of course this includes rebooting or restarting the server too.

2. This is obtuse: My server uses a WiFi link. The Linksys WRT54G w-router with the Talisman 1.05 software refuses to pass all the necessary SageTV client packets/protocols. It will not work. If the server connects by wire, no problem. If the client PC connects wirelessly it work - as if the Talisman firmware doesn't bridge correctly for SageTV; it does work correctly for every other application I've tried including VNC.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:01 PM
Sage Icon

But I got the error:

the connection to the SageTV server has been
lost. Attempting to restore the connection...

last night when it had the same IP address while connected. Since it could not reconnect to that IP, I figured I may as well try a new static IP address but it won't connect. I've since even tried putting everything in the same workgroup and it still won't connect. Once I got the error that was it....I can no longer connect on any of my client computers. I've restarted all computers multiple times, restarted the server, restarted the routers and reinstalling the program. Again....another terribly frustrating problem with Sage....I feel like once I can get it working it will work great but right now I can't get any client's to connect to the server. What can I do now? Do I have to completely uninstall the Sage server program including registry entries through the control panel? There must be something else I can do short of that....

Mike
Old 01-08-2006, 12:19 AM
Sage Icon

May have been a firewall issue after all. Everything seems to be connecting. Thank you for all the help and feedback.

Mike