SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 01-09-2006, 04:10 PM
Sage User

MVPs Bogging Down over time

Has anyone else noticed a problem with their MVPs bogging down over time? From a clean restart of the Sage service (Sage 4.1.4) on a fairly robust computer dedicated almost exclusively to use as a Sage server (a Dell Optiplex GX260 P4 2.8GHz/1GB), my MVPs initially run well, even when I have several operating at the same time (some over wireless g connections). Over time, however, the UI starts to slow down and we notice more and more stuttering, to the point that we need to stop and restart the Sage service to get it responsive again. Sometimes the MVPs just freeze entirely. I don't notice any significant increase in the mem usage by the Sage sage service in Windows task manager when this occurs. I have not tracked the time periods between stops/restarts very closely, but during heavier usage it is a period of hours. I probably could live with it if it was every few days, but multiple times a day seems impractical to me.

Any thoughts/suggestions?
Old 01-09-2006, 05:27 PM
Sage Advanced User

I have this EXACT same problem. I haven't really paid attention to how long a period of time it is. But for me, it seems to be a couple of days (with light usage). After that point, video playback always stutters and I have to restart the service to fix it. However, in my case, I do notice the Sage service using more and more RAM as time goes on. I don't know if this has anything to do with it. I think the service uses around 80MB on startup and has been as high as 140MB+ after running for a few days!!
Pegasus - SageTV/HomeSeer Server: Core2Duo 1.8GHz, 1GB, 1.5TB RAID5, 2.25TB RAID5, Radeon X1050, (2) Hauppauge PVR250 (only used for security cameras now), SiliconDust HDHomeRun, Hauppauge HD-PVR, WinXP Pro
Prometheus - SageTV Client: Core2Duo 2.66GHz, 1GB, 500GB, GeForce 8400GS, WinXP Pro, 848x480 to InFocus SP4805 projector on a 78" screen
HD Theater (HD200) connected via HDMI to Panasonic TH-42PX60U 42" plasma
web server plugin | 2 MediaMVP Extenders | FiOS TV
Old 01-09-2006, 06:59 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFlight
I have this EXACT same problem. !
If this is true for the majority of users, that would be a big NEGATIVE. Not fun having to reboot/reset a box in such short frequencies.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:09 PM
Sage Advanced User

I agree, it is a pain. However, sometimes you have to deal with these pains when using brand new features/products. I'd love for things to be perfect from the start but it's not realistic. I don't know if this is a problem for everyone. I would think we would be hearing more about it if it was. But, since at least two people have this problem I have to imagine there's a reason. Hopefully a future update will address it. Meanwhile, I'm actually building a SageTV client computer to replace my MVP. Actually, I'm still going to use the MVP, just in another room. I currently have it hooked up to an LCD HDTV and I'd like to be able to playback HD material. Hence the computer based client.
Pegasus - SageTV/HomeSeer Server: Core2Duo 1.8GHz, 1GB, 1.5TB RAID5, 2.25TB RAID5, Radeon X1050, (2) Hauppauge PVR250 (only used for security cameras now), SiliconDust HDHomeRun, Hauppauge HD-PVR, WinXP Pro
Prometheus - SageTV Client: Core2Duo 2.66GHz, 1GB, 500GB, GeForce 8400GS, WinXP Pro, 848x480 to InFocus SP4805 projector on a 78" screen
HD Theater (HD200) connected via HDMI to Panasonic TH-42PX60U 42" plasma
web server plugin | 2 MediaMVP Extenders | FiOS TV
Old 01-09-2006, 10:14 PM
Sage User

I misspoke -- I haven't looked to see if the amount of ram used increases. I was just checking whether the percentage of cpu usage was spiking. I will try to keep an eye on the amount of ram used to see if it is escalating.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:22 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFlight
But, since at least two people have this problem I have to imagine there's a reason.
Is there a way to take a poll at this web site just to see if on average, SageTV Media Extender users notice any freezes over time on their units? If yes, a quick survey would help like hard wire ethernet .vs. wireless; dedicated network yes/no; slow SageTV PC server yes/no.

This info will help diagnose Media Externder uses if there is a common theme with freezes.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:30 AM
Sage Icon

The forum system here will allow you to create polls, not sure about this specific message base though. Just try to create a new message with a poll attached and see if it lets you.

If regular users can't, maybe we can get Opus to set one up?