SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-11-2006, 04:28 PM
Sage User

Setting JVM heap sizes

Couldn't find this with a search.
Is there a way to set the startup and max jvm heap sizes for the server and client? I wonder how Sage sets the defaults for these? I'd like to reduce the impact of any garbage collection if possible.

For example
java -Xms256m -Xmx512m ...
Old 01-11-2006, 06:31 PM
Sage

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Frey Technologies\SageTV\JVMMaxHeapSizeMB

Can be used to set the heap max in the JVM in MB. There's no way to override the initial heap size setting in SageTV.
Old 01-11-2006, 06:48 PM
SageTVaholic

Would you elaborate please? What would limiting this do for anyone?
Old 01-13-2006, 01:46 AM
Sage User

The JVM always imposes a maximum heap size. For a normal JVM the max heap is set to 64MB by default. I have no idea what SageTV sets it to be default. I was more interested in setting the initial heap size to something larger in order to avoid the inevitable performance hit caused by the garbage collector.
Old 05-31-2006, 04:49 AM
Sage User

Bigger Is Better?

I was getting my heap size filled. So the log was "[Full GC ..." and it took 120sec to do the garbage collection. The size of the heap then was like 128megs.

I've just changed the max size to 512 and the max time to 10. I'm hoping that means it won't force a garbage collection until it hits 512. And even then, it won't take longer than 10sec on garbage collection.

The only time this is really a pain is when I'm using the menus. Although, the playback of video is fine (while in the program menu for example) during the gc. Wouldn't it be great if it did the garbage collection while I was watchin (not menu).
Old 06-27-2006, 08:47 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trothwell
I was getting my heap size filled. So the log was "[Full GC ..." and it took 120sec to do the garbage collection. The size of the heap then was like 128megs.

I've just changed the max size to 512 and the max time to 10. I'm hoping that means it won't force a garbage collection until it hits 512. And even then, it won't take longer than 10sec on garbage collection.

The only time this is really a pain is when I'm using the menus. Although, the playback of video is fine (while in the program menu for example) during the gc. Wouldn't it be great if it did the garbage collection while I was watchin (not menu).

How did this work out for you?
Where did you make these changes? In the registry?

thanks
Machine:Dell Dimension 9200;Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor E6320 (4MB L2 cache,1.86GHz,1066FSB); RAM: 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz- 2DIMMs; Graphics Card: 128MB nVidia GeForce 8300 GS; Tuner: Hauppauge WinTV-PVR 500 MCE
Storage: OS/Apps: 160GB (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache ; Recordings: Seagate 300GB 7200 RPM SATA; Signal: Comcast Digital Cable with HD Converter;
Old 06-27-2006, 11:47 PM
Sage User

A hard drive failed which resulted in Windows reinstall. I didn't modify the settings again though. It seems like the latest version of SageTV fixed something. I don't have problems with the app hanging during the GC.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:13 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trothwell
Trothwell, where did you make this change? I don't see the max time attribute in the registry path mentioned above.
Machine:Dell Dimension 9200;Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor E6320 (4MB L2 cache,1.86GHz,1066FSB); RAM: 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz- 2DIMMs; Graphics Card: 128MB nVidia GeForce 8300 GS; Tuner: Hauppauge WinTV-PVR 500 MCE
Storage: OS/Apps: 160GB (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache ; Recordings: Seagate 300GB 7200 RPM SATA; Signal: Comcast Digital Cable with HD Converter;