SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-12-2006, 06:50 AM
Sage User

Multiple Tuner Question

This is my first post to this group; I have been using Sage for some 6 months now and am generally very happy with the functionality that it provides.

Having upgraded to v 4.0 from 2.2 I have two new problems which weren't there before.

The first is that the server hangs occasionaly whilst recording for no apparent reason.

The second is that my son can be watching a channel on a client in one room and a scheduled recording starts on the server (There are 3 Hauppauge 150s in the server). Instead of using an unused source, the server changes the channed on the source that my son is watching. My son then has to close the file on his client and select his original programe again from the guide whicch opens up a new source. This action doesn't afffect the recording which continues without change. This problem can also occur where, rather than a scheduled recording, I selct a program from the guide in another room. It has also been known for one scheduled recording to overwrite another.

This problem has only manifest since I upgraded to v4.0. Has anyone else experienced it who can give me some help regarding resolution.

For the record I have 5 clients, 4 using MPVs and one using a PC.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:48 AM
Sage User

Send a message via AIM to Guyverix Send a message via Yahoo to Guyverix
Multiple Tuner Question

apparently there is a setting in the properties for sage so you can set priorities for your tuners... Opus4 mentions it about half way down the thread. Maybe you could set recording priorities for certain tuners so that they will not interfere. I have never messed with this, so I cant tell you if it will do you any good or not though...

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...t=tuner+prefer
Old 01-12-2006, 09:09 AM
Sage User

I was about to post a very similar question.

I bought sage to use as a "live tv" for the living room and also to use as a client on my PC.

Can I use these merit settings to say that the live tv server always uses source A and the client source B?

I understand that if a *scheduled* recording is taking place that it will use the alternate tuner and that is good. In the absence of a *scheduled* recording I just want it to use the one assigned to that client.

The reason for this is that I have 2 STBs in the living room. One is a dedicated STB for Sage and the other is either for the client on another PC or is linked via a video sender to a TV in the bedroom.

What happens is that a single active client will change the channel on alternate tuners therefore changing the channel for someone watching via the video sender.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:30 AM
Administrator

If the priority merit is set, then it always tries to walk through the tuners in that order, which could interfere w/live as mentioned in the first post. Has the merit been set already? Unless you really _need_ to use priority settings, I wouldn't do so.

The merit settings just give a preferred priority (which isn't always followed 100% of the time); it does not say which one is for live TV & so on... since all of that are simply recordings anyway.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:16 PM
Sage User

Thanks for that - would I be able to do an import module to change this functionality through studio. I don't have any experience of it but I am a programmer so I'd hope I can and will have a stab at some point.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:58 PM
Administrator

Not really -- the core handles all recording, scheduling, tuner control, etc.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:42 PM
Sage User

Thanks for the replies but I've checked the sage properties file; it's set to "encoder_merit=0" It's a strange problem because it doesn't happen systematically - only at irregular intervals.