SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-14-2006, 07:52 PM
Sage Aficionado

All encoders are in use by clients viewing...

Im trying to change tv from a client pc but it says (ERROR (-9): All encoders are in use by clients viewing Live Tv... i only have one tv tunner, but i like to change channels thoug...
Old 01-14-2006, 10:04 PM
SageTVaholic

Is a different client (which could include the server) viewing liveTV? If so, you can't change channels since that would interrupt the other client. One tuner can only view one channel at a time, if you want more, you need more tuners.
Old 01-15-2006, 05:37 PM
Sage Aficionado

there must be something wrong.... when i have my client running, i cant change channels on the server too, says the same.... i tried uninstalling the program and delitin the sagetv directory and doin a fresh clean instalation, but it still the same...
Old 01-15-2006, 05:40 PM
SageTVaholic

Do you have video background or preview window enabled?
Old 01-16-2006, 06:32 AM
Sage Aficionado

yes i have video playback on menu backgrounds
Old 01-16-2006, 06:35 AM
SageTVaholic

That counts as LiveTV, try changing it to If Active or Never.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:00 PM
Sage Aficionado

Cant change channel while client is active

I when i connect the SageTVClient 4.1.3 i cant change channels on the server or the client....

Any help?
Old 01-16-2006, 01:08 PM
Sage Aficionado

Im using the same version... 4.1.3 ....

to change chanels. i have to put one of them into sleep mode....
Old 01-16-2006, 01:41 PM
SageTVaholic

Like I said, video background counts as LiveTV, make sure it's set to "If Active" or better yet "Never". You also have to make sure to stop recording (sleep mode does that).
Old 01-16-2006, 02:00 PM
Sage Aficionado

I tried putin on never the background and still didnt work.....
Old 01-16-2006, 06:32 PM
Sage Aficionado

Let me try to explain my problem... i have sagetv installed on a computer on my family room with my tv capture card, and a client computer on my bed room.... what i want to do is to wath tv at the family room and at my bed room at the same time.... i want to sage tv to be able to browse with the program guide and change channels on my bed room in a way that change it on the family room too.... what i see on the family room, i want to see it at the bed room at the same time... is that posible or not with sage tv?

i can change channels remotely only if i put on standby the sagetv server, "i dont want to do this"
Old 01-17-2006, 01:56 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielcab
Let me try to explain my problem... i have sagetv installed on a computer on my family room with my tv capture card, and a client computer on my bed room.... what i want to do is to wath tv at the family room and at my bed room at the same time.... i want to sage tv to be able to browse with the program guide and change channels on my bed room in a way that change it on the family room too.... what i see on the family room, i want to see it at the bed room at the same time... is that posible or not with sage tv?

i can change channels remotely only if i put on standby the sagetv server, "i dont want to do this"
I believe the answer is no. Sage Client acts like a completly different setup. the displays aren't "linked" There is no way to do what you want without some major customizations to the UI and even then it might not work the way you want.

Now you can set the channel in the family room and watch in the bedroom.. But you won't be able to change channels in the BR because the FR sage has control of the tuner. The BR sage is just watching the "recording" it's not watching what on the tuner. Your best bet is to get a second tuner so each one can seperatly tune channels but you'll have to manually synch them up if you want them to have the same show.

Does this make sense?
Old 01-18-2006, 11:51 AM
Sage Aficionado

not really

but i understand that i cant do what i want to do with sage tv... so bad i really wanted sage tv over btv for its features.. so bad it is not capable of tunning channels... btv can doit.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:20 PM
Sage Fanatic

Maybe someone else can explain it better.. But from what I understand of what you want to do, Sage/Sage client isn't the way to go. But.. Sage with an RF remote and a wireless video feed will do what you want. If your main goal to to have the exact same thing on two tv's and be able to change the channel from both rooms, then you only need Sage on the LR TV and an RF remote that will still work in the BR. Then you just need to broadcast the output to the BR and LR TVs.

Maybe Someday Sage will add some sort of link/clone feature that will allow streaming and control from one source to many... I have no need for it but I guess other folks do. I like the way sage/sage client is now.

Jim
Old 01-18-2006, 02:16 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielcab
not really

but i understand that i cant do what i want to do with sage tv... so bad i really wanted sage tv over btv for its features.. so bad it is not capable of tunning channels... btv can doit.
Do I have this right?

What you want to do is start watching on SageTV, then be able to change the channel on the Server session with the client?

Let me ask you this, what happens if somebody else is watching something on the server and you try to change channels on the client? Should it change the channel on them? Who takes precidence?

So you're saying that with BeyondTV and BeyondTV Link, if you start watching something live in BeyondTV, you can connect with Link and change the channel of the server? That's surprising.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:32 PM
Sage Fanatic

Stanger,

My guess is that they have a broadcast mode where they can stream to any client and any client has control.

They advertise "watch live TV on any PC from the server"

I'm not sure why anyone would want to watch the same thing on multiple tvs.... Maybe if you have a superbowl party and not everyone would fit in the livingroom and had to spill over to the bedroom... Or if you were constantly walking between the livingroom and bedroom?? Beats me.. but I guess I've wanted to stream Music to my whole house and have it somewhat synchronized so if I go from my upstairs to my basement I can still hear the same music but on different machines.. (I still haven't found a good way to do that..but I've stopped looking) So maybe there is use for it...

Maybe that's a feature for Sage to put in at a later date..

JB
Old 01-18-2006, 02:36 PM

My copy of BTV and link certainly do not do this that I know of. Nor would I want them too. However, you might be able to do something like this with the webadmin.

Don't forget the check out the SageMC16x9 Wiki if you have any configuration or general usage questions. New content is being added all the time!
Old 01-18-2006, 02:40 PM
Sage Fanatic

You know.. The more I think about it.. I think this would be a great feature... Say I'm cooking in the kitchen and watching TV in the living room.. The timer goes off and now I have to pause and go to the kitchen, do what I need to do and then go back to the living room and continue.
but if I could stream.. then I could just walk to the kitchen
and continue where watching on the kitchen computer, maybe pausing if I have to, and then I do what I need to in the kitchen... and then go back to the living room..

Hmmm.....

JB
Old 01-20-2006, 05:42 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
Do I have this right?

What you want to do is start watching on SageTV, then be able to change the channel on the Server session with the client?

Let me ask you this, what happens if somebody else is watching something on the server and you try to change channels on the client? Should it change the channel on them? Who takes precidence?

So you're saying that with BeyondTV and BeyondTV Link, if you start watching something live in BeyondTV, you can connect with Link and change the channel of the server? That's surprising.
Yep, you can change channels from the BTVlink.... im amazed that sagetv cant do this simple task... maybe for some people is not a big deal, but for someon that only have one satelite tv decoder and dont want to buy another its a big deal, at least for me, that i want to use 1 tv decoder with 2 networked computers....

Im havin a real bad time tryin to decide with one buy, i really love sage tv over btv, but sage is missin something important to me right now.... i hope they put this feature on near futures editions....
Old 01-20-2006, 06:03 PM
Sage Icon

There was a HDTV satelite network that died before it ever got off the ground last year that was going to have a similar feature in it's networked PVR's. Basically, you could have the stream switched to another client in another room or simply broadcast the stream to all or a subset of clients. I thought that it would be a really cool feature but the company died in the planning stages or was bought by one of the D*'s or something like that and the networked PVR system they planned died with it. I forgot about it then but I would also like this feature in Sage as well. I'm the family chef so I am moving between the kitchen and TV room a lot. It would also be even more useful for music.