SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 01-15-2006, 11:57 AM
Sage Aficionado

How often should you expect to reboot the server?

I have SageTV installed my office PC and have it working double duty...home office PC and SageTV server. I use my Office PC for little more than internet surfing, an occasional word document, e-mail, occasional Excel file, and Quicken. Nothing real intensive and I am always careful of when ShowAnalyzer is running, a show is recording, etc. to be extra patient, use my laptop, whatever.

Anyway, I have been digging through this forum for a while now, I have two (soon to be three) MVPs with 4.1.4 installed. 4.1.4 plus the beta MVP.bin. After grabbing the betsa, I got my MVPs working and everything is pretty much a go. The wife is starting to ease into it and so far so good.

However, I am finding I have to restart the Sage Server/home office PC every 2, maybe 3 days. If I don't, the MVPs sill strat to stick at the teal SageTV screen telling me to please wait while it tries to load the STV or whatever it needs to do to the MVP. Once I reboot the SaveTV server, everything is back to normal.

Anybody else experience this? Is this to be expected?

And, well, here is an uneducated curiosity question as I have not been able to pin-point if this is it or not. But, I also have an HP OfficeJet 7410 networked for printing, faxing, etc. I am wondering if there may be a conflict or problem there. Just a suspicion right now as everything was working fine this morning until the wife logged on and printed something...of course, it is day 3 of the server being up too...
Old 01-16-2006, 02:17 AM
Sage User

I'm experiencing pretty much the same thing. I need to reboot after 2 or 3 days of uptime. Mine isn't connected to anything but my network (no networked printers, just 1 other pc and Vonage) and my television. Sometimes it seems to hang for no reason at all. I'll be watching TV and try and change the channel and the little sage icon comes up saying that it's working on something and it never goes away.

I've also experienced a wierd IR problem too, but I suspect it is probably unrelated to the reboot. Sometimes the IR remote (the one that comes with the Hauppauge PVR 250) just partially stops working. The channel up/down and volume controls continue to work, but all the other buttons stop working. Restarting the IR always fixes this, but not always for very long.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:49 AM
SageTVaholic

Unless I'm upgrading something I usually DON'T reboot. The longest I've had mine running is for 6-8 MONTHS without an issue or a reboot. This has been since version 2.2. Now running the latest 4.14. With PC clients and MVP client.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:10 AM
Sage Advanced User

Geezz.. I reboot at least once a day using the latest version. If I forget to put SageTV to sleep/screensaver mode it will lock up on me over night.
SageTV 4.1 / JVC Analog TV 27"/ 2.93G speed Computer/ 512mb Ram/ Pvr-150 / 45 Hauppage remote / Verto GeForce FX 5500 128mb svideo out/ Dishnetwork 501 box/VideoRedo Plus/ShowAnalyzer/DVDStyler Free Mpeg to Dvd recorder
Old 01-16-2006, 08:32 AM
Sage Aficionado

I have been having similar issues. I need to reboot every 2 to 3 days or my system will sometimes just hang when I try to do something like ff or rw. I am not using my system for anything but sage and a mvp attached. I have 4.14 installed without the beta mvp.bin (couldn't get it to work consistantly) My CPU will spike to 100% usage and my temps start to climb to above 50C. Normally they run around 40C.
1 HDHomeRun
4TB Storage, GB Network
2 MVPs, 1 HD100 & 1 HD300
Old 01-16-2006, 09:07 AM
Sage Icon

I reboot only after a critical XP security patch is installed. Other than that I never reboot. I do not have an MVP.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:33 AM
Sage Icon

I'm currently up for 2 months now. Up for a little over 3 months before that. The reboot was for replacing a dvd writer. I have 5 tuners, record about 5-7 shows daily, pc doubles as a 24/7 encoding machine, I have a HP PSC 2510 network printer, no MVPs but 3 clients attached.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:35 AM
Sage Advanced User

I will reboot with updates, and if im doing something on the server and nothing is recording sometimes I will just reboot for the heck of it. I will typically go weeks without it though.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:55 AM
Sage Advanced User

I reboot only when an update requires me to do so. I don't run a UI on the server side, just 3 mvp clients and 1 pc client.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:46 PM
Sage Icon

I should have kept out of this one...
Les than 2 hours after posting this our neighborhood had a blackout and my UPS couldn't make it through it.
Back to 1 hour again. I JINXed myself
Old 01-17-2006, 11:23 AM
SageTVaholic

Hehehehe. That is funny Dvd_maniac....hehehehe.

As for how often I have to reboot. Well off of my old Celeron machine, I could go Months without rebooting. I don't know how long my current setup will go. I rebooted it over the weekend because I moved some hardware around, but I would say before that it was up pretty much for about 2 weeks (did my "christmas" upgrades at that point). Now that I am done playing (at least for a little while), I can't image any downtime.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 01-17-2006, 02:44 PM
Sage Aficionado

I just applied the latest MS patches and had to reboot. I believe I had 2 months of uptime previously. The reboot before that was also due to MS patches. Since I stopped watching TV on server, I never need to reboot the server anymore
Old 01-18-2006, 09:16 PM
Sage Advanced User

I have a dedicated SageTV server with an MVP as the only client. Before the media extender support came out I never had to reboot. Since installing the the lastest Sage with built-in MVP support I've had to reboot almost daily. I have also tried the beta mvp.bin but it didn't make much difference.

Has anyone logged a support issue yet?
Old 01-19-2006, 04:02 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvrpenguin
I have a dedicated SageTV server with an MVP as the only client. Before the media extender support came out I never had to reboot. Since installing the the lastest Sage with built-in MVP support I've had to reboot almost daily. I have also tried the beta mvp.bin but it didn't make much difference.

Has anyone logged a support issue yet?
Try v4.1.5, it seems to have a lot of improvements when it comes to handling the MVP.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:11 PM
Sage Aficionado

I have been purposely waiting to see how 4.1.5 works before posting this, but as blade alluded, 4.1.5 has been the difference between night and day for me on the MVPs with respect to a number of issues...this being the main problem I was having. So far, I have been up since the day the beta was released, no stuttering, no rebooting required, very fast response, etc. with no problems in sight (knock on wood) 4.1.5 has really helped the WAF in my book

Now, FWIW, my problem now is the MVPs keep defaulting back to the original STV. Very annoying. Nonetheless, I am pretty sure the recommendation I read elsewhere (and am kicking myself for not thinking of it) of changing the name of my modified STV to the default name will fix that and I will be golden.

Finally, not to irritate Narflex, Opus, etc. more, but the only thing left for me then is the transcoding of AC3 audio for DVD playback via the MVP. (Sorry, I am sure you haven't heard that one much.)
Old 01-20-2006, 06:49 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade
Try v4.1.5, it seems to have a lot of improvements when it comes to handling the MVP.
Me too! My MVP is much more responsive and faster to commands now.

Nice work!