SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 01-17-2006, 03:29 PM
Sage User

MVP-"The Kiss of Death"

I've been using an MVP Sage Client along with 3 other regular PC Sage Clients for about a month now, and have a recurring problem which is reproducible. This problem did not arise when only using the PC-based clients, and only started when the MVP was added.

When the MVP and another (PC based) Sage client are simultaneously using the SageTV server, the server is unable to re-establish contact when any client after the MVP has finished. As soon as a program is done streaming to the MVP, the SageTV server can no longer be contacted by either the MVP or a PC client. This issue only arises when both MVP and client were both streaming at the same time. Closing the MVP session seems to be "the kiss of dieath".

In order to get the server available once again, all that is needed is to unplug the RJ-45 network cable from the SageTV server for a few seconds and then plug it back in again. No reboot of the SageTV server is required.

Something must be left in an improper state when MVP exists. The 3 regular PC clients seem to work just fine without any problems, and only when the MVP is used does this new communication issue arise.

I am using the latest beta Sage software including the "alpha" mvp.bin.

When I try to update to the newest mvp.bin, I have stuttering and booting problems from the MVP., so I have decided to stick with a version that works almost correctly rather than one which doesn't seem to work at all with the MVP.

Any suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks,

Larry
Old 01-27-2006, 11:27 PM
Sage User

The new beta solves my problem. The first SageTV client to stop streaming no longer disconnects with a "kiss of death". All subsequent client traffic now works correctly both from MVP and standard PC clients.

Looks like the correct strategy to solve this problem was to merely wait until a more stable beta release occurred.

Larry