SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 01-19-2006, 11:47 AM
Sage Fanatic

What's The Next Solution Available After MVP's?

I am looking to see what is the next available solution if I don't want to go the SageTV Media Extender route?

Yes, I know I can setup a PC as a client, but I don't like the noise, size, or heat they put out.

I have 4 TV's and the MVP's sounded like a nice solution, but as I just found out, the MVP's put out about 35% less brightness coming out the box. So I am thinking about abandoning the MVP route and seeking other solutions that "work".
Old 01-19-2006, 12:38 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by willemse
Dear Joe123,

What's next is:

1- To have patience for a MPV solution which definitely will come as my experience with Sage, over several years has learned me.
2- Stop polluting this forum with creating new treads on same subject
3- Stop wasting time and false energy by blaming Sage for this problem while Sage is working on real solution as indicated. It is only a short time that Sage has made the MPV client available so give it time. Just changing brightness and contrast in the capture source is not real a fix as pointed out in other threads. It fixes one hole and creates new issues documented earlier in other threads.

So please…
Wow, I am not sure this is the kind of help Joe was after.. I'll try to answer in a more constructive manner.

If you are concerned with the brightness output of the MVP, and you don't want to apply the aforementioned fixes, you may want to consider tucking your PC client somewhere out of sight and running long cables to the TV/entertainment area.

Depending on your TV's inputs, it can get complicated. I have seen options for DVI, USB, and SVIDEO over CAT5E. I am sure you can also run a piece of fibre for optical SPDIF or CAT5E for TOSlink as well. USB is assumed for IR receiver, although you can run an IR receiver in a wall plate or such too.

HIH

B
Old 01-19-2006, 01:42 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins
Wow, I am not sure this is the kind of help Joe was after.. I'll try to answer in a more constructive manner.
Thanks Jenkins. Yeah, I think that other poster has some stock options or financial connection and blew a gasket

I have 4 SD TV's and 1 HD TV that I would like to connect. I am planning on putting the PC Server next to the HD TV with a nice Video card for the HD TV and then connect all other TV's via ethernet which I already have. Unfortunately, running video cables would be too long of a run and hard to do.

What I am trying to achive as far as TV viewing on my SD TV's is to be able to get similar image quality result I currently get with my TIVO box connect to one of my SD TVs.

When I switch bettwen TIVO and SageTV Media Externder (MVP), there is a DAY and NIGHT difference as far as the picture quality/brightness goes.

Last edited by joe123; 01-19-2006 at 02:44 PM.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:29 PM
SageTVaholic

Well, there would be a few more options which increase the cost

1) Run the unit through another device (DVD Player, VCR, Switchbox?) Someone on another thread reported success with the DVD player.

2) Buy/Build a quiet PC. http://www.mini-itx.com/store/

3) Buy a TV with input level adjustments so that TV on the MVP can be adjusted independently of any other input.

Good luck!
Old 01-19-2006, 03:44 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins
1) Run the unit through another device (DVD Player, VCR, Switchbox?) Someone on another thread reported success with the DVD player.
I had to do this for one of my MVP's. When hooked up to my Zenith TV it would be over saturated with Green on the MVP image, My Cable and DVD images were fine, just the MVP, I also changed the inputs. so I passed the MVP though my VCR and now the picture is as good as the cable.
My 2nd MVP does not have the problem on a Sylvania rear-projection TV and I tried to swap the MVP's and get the same result. It got to be the way the Zenith decodes the signal from the MVP.

I am waiting for the HD Media Extender to fix the problem or I may need to upgrade my Zenith TV to something else. I want HD!!
Old 01-19-2006, 04:39 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jquinlan
I had to do this for one of my MVP's. When hooked up to my Zenith TV it would be over saturated with Green on the MVP image, My Cable and DVD images were fine, just the MVP, I also changed the inputs. so I passed the MVP though my VCR and now the picture is as good as the cable.
That's a nice workable solution. I am going to try to see if my DVD player has input/output so that I can pass MVP signal through it to see if it helps with the image brightness.

If it works, this would be a nice workable method
Old 01-20-2006, 12:53 AM
Sage Aficionado

These should work as a plan B if the DVD/VHS loopthru solution does not work.

I purchased the SCC-2 to use while converting my old VHS home videos to DVD. It should work to adjust the color from the MVP. A cheaper alternative is to use the CT-2. If you have money burning a hole in your wallet, you could get the TBC-1000.
The CT-2 has only four factory pre-set levels of brightness adjustment but it should fix the brightness problem from the MVP.

Last edited by Menehune; 01-20-2006 at 01:07 AM.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:43 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menehune
These should work as a plan B if the DVD/VHS loopthru solution does not work.

I purchased the SCC-2 to use while converting my old VHS home videos to DVD. It should work to adjust the color from the MVP. A cheaper alternative is to use the CT-2. If you have money burning a hole in your wallet, you could get the TBC-1000.
The CT-2 has only four factory pre-set levels of brightness adjustment but it should fix the brightness problem from the MVP.
Thank you. That was very helpful.