SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 01-24-2006, 02:12 AM
Sage Fanatic

STVI: Feature Request, automatic per channel volume gain

Some of our channels are way louder or way more quiet than others. This may be because of differences in the broadcast format between the channels or between tuners etc. Heck maybe even the cable company is to blame. Anyway, I noticed that my HDTV channels are much quiter than the analog cable channels.

If I could set a bias for these channels of, + or - a set percentage, I could probably normalize the output pretty easily. I.e. what ever the current volume is set to, when I change to channel X turn it up 10% and when I turn it back to a normal channel turn it down 10%. I suppose that this by default may make the maximum volume for all normal channels 90% but I can correct that by turning up the volume on the tv another 10%.

I also notice a large volume discrepancy when playing DVD's or imported videos. For me this whole issue may be that I lack a surround sound system. Maybe the majority of my sound is supposed to be going through a center channel that I don't have. Thus it sounds too quiet.

Regardless of the cause, I think such an import module or STV feature would be usefull for many of us.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:25 PM
SageTVaholic

I know this isn't what you're looking for, but the AC3 filter has some volume normalization features that will allow you to even out the sound between the different sources. I believe the problem with your HDTV and DVD being much lower in volume is the dynamic range difference.

I think there have been a few threads on these forums about evening out the sound.