SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 09-01-2003, 11:32 AM
Sage Expert

Send a message via AIM to laurenglenn Send a message via MSN to laurenglenn
Show descriptions in EPG are more generic?

Has anyone noticed lately that some of the EPG show descriptions are much more generic? For example, I have numerous Stargate entries now that have the same description with no episode title.

On my system, all upcoming Stargate SG-1 shows with the same description: "A team searches for clues to save the Earth from imminent destruction"

Lauren
Old 09-01-2003, 11:37 AM
Sage Icon

Re: Show descriptions in EPG are more generic?

Quote:
Originally posted by laurenglenn
Has anyone noticed lately that some of the EPG show descriptions are much more generic? For example, I have numerous Stargate entries now that have the same description with no episode title.

On my system, all upcoming Stargate SG-1 shows with the same description: "A team searches for clues to save the Earth from imminent destruction"

Lauren
It really depends on the source of the EPG data. XMLTV gives me that quite often with "Samuri Jack" but my TiVo wasn't much better in some cases. If the EPG provider is not given the program description, it seems to fall back to the generic version. I noticed that my TiVo was hit-and-miss (usually more miss than hit) with the description of "The Daily Show," so I had to use a manual recording or risk getting four versions of the show each day.

I know it isn't much help, but what you are seeing is not unusual (unfortunately)
Old 09-01-2003, 12:01 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via AIM to laurenglenn Send a message via MSN to laurenglenn
Re: Re: Show descriptions in EPG are more generic?

Quote:
Originally posted by fidget
It really depends on the source of the EPG data. XMLTV gives me that quite often with "Samuri Jack" but my TiVo wasn't much better in some cases. If the EPG provider is not given the program description, it seems to fall back to the generic version. I noticed that my TiVo was hit-and-miss (usually more miss than hit) with the description of "The Daily Show," so I had to use a manual recording or risk getting four versions of the show each day.

I know it isn't much help, but what you are seeing is not unusual (unfortunately)
Well, it's using Frey's data and not XMLTV. Partially because the XMLTV didn't support Rerun/First Run status.

It is unusual in the fact that it didn't start happening until recently. It's happening for quite a few shows, including Daily Show, Stargate SG-1, Drew Carrey Show, Whose Line is it Anyway?, etc...

Lauren
Old 09-01-2003, 12:22 PM
SageTV Co-Founder

The data is only as good as what the networks provide to Tribune/Zap2it. They may be slacking because the fall season is about to start and they are not giving too much descriptions for the old re-runs. Just my guess....
Old 09-02-2003, 12:16 AM

Quote:
It's definitely a network issue. My Tivo has the exact same description for Monday's Stargate SG-1. I decided to just delete my Tivo SeasonPass for "StarGate SG-1" on SciFi and made a manual repeating recording* for fridays shows. I still have the SeasonPass's for Stargate on other channels** that show older syndicated episodes.

*This made me realize how muuch I miss the ability to do repeating manual recordings in SageTV.

**The channel preference of Tivo's SeasonPass is one of the few things that SageTV still needs. If Sage could also add a timeslot preference for Favorites, it would solve "The Daily Show" type issue as well.

Last edited by justme; 09-02-2003 at 01:05 AM.