SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 01-26-2006, 10:50 PM
Sage Advanced User

Problem with dual PVR150s

I recently installed a 2nd PVR150. The original one is a PVR-150MCE (Lets call it tuner1), this new one is a PVR-150MCE w/no FM (tuner2). After I added tuner2, I set it up and everything seemed to be working. Later I went to watch a recording of The Shield and the quality was horrible. I did a little testing and found that tuner2 looks bad on the FX channel. Which is odd because it looks fine on all the other channels I watch. If I use tuner1 to watch FX it looks fine.

Now I removed tuner1 from the system to see if there was something wrong with tuner2. However, with just tuner2 installed FX looks fine.

EDIT: I then reinstalled tuner1, and now tuner1 looks like crap on FX and tuner2 looks fine. So whatever tuner I install last looks like crap on FX. And it is also the tuner that is always used first, even if I set them up in sage in the opposite order. Italic part isn't true, sry for the confusion.

It seems that it is always tuner2 that looks bad on FX. It doesn't matter which I install first. However, if I only have tuner2 installed it looks fine so I don't think its the tuner. I checked the IRQs and one of the tuners was sharing an IRQ. I disabled the other device thinking it may be an IRQ conflict but it didn't help.

Anybody ever experience anything like this before or have any suggestions?

Last edited by Oats; 01-27-2006 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:04 PM
Sage Icon

try experimenting with what channel TunerX is tuned to when TunerY is on that FX channel. Perhaps TunerX is emitting an interfering signal for the other tuner (i.e., the local osc.). Maybe look at live TV on FX on tunerX while tunerY moves to various channels.

Or I'm full of it.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:54 PM
Sage User

Interested individual here...I am contemplating installing a 2nd tuner (identical PVR-150 to the 1st which is working great). I hope all works well for you Oats.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:09 AM
Sage User

The most common problem I have seen with the PVR150 series cards (audio problems / poor video quality / hardware initialization error) comes from installing the drivers that come with the newest card after installing the first card with the driver that came with it.

When you install a second (or third, or...) hauppauge PVR150/150MCE card it is critical that you use the same drivers for all the (identical) cards. This means that you MUST completely remove all the Hauppauge drivers and reinstall them.

The problem you are seeing is due to the driver mismatch. Once you reinstall the drivers you will not have any problems.

The last several versions of the drivers work with all retail and OEM versions of the PVR150/PVR150MCE cards. The PVR150 support area on the Hauppauge site has a small utility that will remove that drivers completely, and the latest drivers. You only need the drivers... the PVR software file is for their wintv2000 software.

Run the removal utility, shut down your computer, install both cards, restart your computer and install the drivers

If you are using the remote control on a PVR150 Retail card (with the transciever built into the card) and you install a second retail card, you will need to remove and reinstall the IR software as well. Make sure you only connect the IR cable into one of the cards. The IR software will use the card that has the cable attached.

-----------------------------
Using:
MSI RS482M4-ILD / 1G DDR400 / Athlon64 3000+ / DVI output
SenaTek MiniATX system case
1 x 60G Internal HardDrive / 4 x 250G External USB2 HardDrive
Digimate DGL32 32" HDTV LCD TV
SageTV v4.1.6 with Dynamic menus / MiniGuide / Comskip
MS MCE 2005 remote with Girder v3.3
Hauppauge PVR150 Retail
Hauppauge PVR150MCE Retail with FM
Diamond XtremeTV PVR600 USB2