SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 01-28-2006, 08:04 PM
Sage Advanced User

Sage freezes at the end of a show

This has been happening more and more to me, it happens with the latest release as well as several prior releases. It also happens on the 4.1.6 beta. Essentially when the show is at the very end SageTV will just lock up and not let me return to the main menu. It does not even lock up and use 100% CPU it just stops responding. The little spinning SageTV icon does appear. It only happens on recorded shows I am watching at a later time. Anyone have any ideas what is causing this?

Some of my ideas I am trying to test out:

1) The decoder is causing a lock up
2) Maybe comskip is telling SageTV to skip past the end of the file which borks Sage?

My system:

AMD 64 3000
1 GB Memory
Sage 4.1.6
Nvidia PureVideo MPEG2 Decoder.
Old 01-28-2006, 09:27 PM
Administrator

You could check the debug log to see what info it contains. Maybe there would be some clues as to what is happening. If debug isn't already on, you can set debug_logging=TRUE (exactly as shown).

Also, since you mention comskip, I would suggest trying it with the default STV to see what happens when no customizations are used.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:22 AM
Sage Aficionado

In the MyTheatre plugin thread Motofreak75 identified that this is an issue with the updated MpegDeMux.ax (size 140kb). Since then I've been using the older MpegDeMux.ax (size 120kb) that gets installed with version 4. This fixes the issue for me and others on that thread.

I've posted the version of MpegDeMux.ax that seems to fix this issue on that thread. It works for me but I'm not sure what the knock on effects of using it are or what new features are missing ...
Old 01-29-2006, 03:41 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via ICQ to Motofreak75
the latest beta has the fix in it already, there has to be something else, use the debuglog=TRUE as Opus4 says, and then keep Sagetv stock, see if it locks and continue to add your mods unitl is does.

Also since your using Nvidia decoders, make sure you set the deocders correctly in Windows media player and have it match Sage's settings (VMR9 or overlay) if your trying to use VMR9 in sage and you dont have it set in the decoders, then Sage does funny things. It seems Sage doesnt tell the decoders to change over and then you have a conflict with the decoder settings.

I found that one out on my own (and reported to sage)
Old 01-30-2006, 08:39 PM
Sage Advanced User

I can't attached my log, it says invalid file. What should I do with it? It seems quite hard to decipher.

-Matthew
Old 01-30-2006, 09:22 PM
Sage Expert

have you tried using winzip/winrar to compress the file ?
Old 01-30-2006, 09:27 PM
Sage Advanced User

Clever, that slipped my mind. Log is attached.

-Matthew
Attached Files
File Type: zip sagetvclient_1.zip (165.4 KB, 250 views)
Old 01-30-2006, 09:40 PM
Administrator

I noticed that you are still using a custom STV. Try it with the default STV w/no customizations added & w/o the extras turned on. If it still happens, submit the log as part of a bug report. I'm not sure if it is in there, but you would want to include what type of tuner is creating the recordings.

Also, there were some lines toward the end that mentioned some sort of "DX9Renderer creation failed". Make sure DirectX & your video card drivers are up to date. Also try turning off 3D Acceleration in Detailed Setup -> Advanced & see if it still happens.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:44 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
I noticed that you are still using a custom STV. Try it with the default STV w/no customizations added & w/o the extras turned on. If it still happens, submit the log as part of a bug report. I'm not sure if it is in there, but you would want to include what type of tuner is creating the recordings.

Also, there were some lines toward the end that mentioned some sort of "DX9Renderer creation failed". Make sure DirectX & your video card drivers are up to date. Also try turning off 3D Acceleration in Detailed Setup -> Advanced & see if it still happens.

- Andy
I will try and run with normal STV first, I thought I would try to provide a debug log first.

Also I have to run in VMR9 with FSE b/c I am using an Nvidia 6600GT which only works without tearing with those settings. And I am using the latest drivers.

-Matthew
Old 01-30-2006, 09:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsm
Also I have to run in VMR9 with FSE b/c I am using an Nvidia 6600GT which only works without tearing with those settings.
Yes, but the point would be to simply find out what happens at the end of a show. If it happens all the time, this should be a quick thing to check. If it is intermittant, you would just try several shows in a row -- FF close to the end & let it finish.

You don't have to use the setting permanently.

- Andy
Old 01-30-2006, 10:03 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
Yes, but the point would be to simply find out what happens at the end of a show. If it happens all the time, this should be a quick thing to check. If it is intermittant, you would just try several shows in a row -- FF close to the end & let it finish.

You don't have to use the setting permanently.

- Andy
I have tried this, but it seems to only happen after SageTV has not been used for a while. I know it sounds crazy, but I can not make it happen. I have tried watching lots of the very end of shows, as well as rewatching the same show right after it crashed. No crash occurs.

-Matthew
Old 01-30-2006, 10:28 PM
Sage Expert

also have you verified this issue with the server ? it seems that the server isnt sending anything when it stalls, you need to log the server to get a better answer.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:35 PM
Sage Advanced User

I'm running in the service mode, so the same machine is serving up the files.

-Matthew
Old 02-03-2006, 03:11 PM
Sage Aficionado

I have seen this happen quite a bit as well. At the end of show it would end properly most the time, but the issue is if I go back in and try to watch it again it stays stuck at the end of the show, and either freezes and have to repower, or hit stop again, and if responds then next time it MIGHT go back to start as it should. Also, often when i go back and does not freeze, the counter will continue even tho nothing is there - such as 1 hour show, count the seconds after one hour. I am using service mode w/ MVP
Old 02-06-2006, 01:22 AM
Sage Advanced User

Here is a new log with the error. It seems to have some relevant errors messages at the end of the log? Can anyone else comprehend them? Should I file a bug report?
Attached Files
File Type: zip sagetvclient_0.zip (144.7 KB, 237 views)
Old 02-06-2006, 09:57 AM
Sage Expert

what version purevideo drivers ? Because I see the native error and I think (not sure) that this is from using an old version of Nvidia's decoders (150 think) or your tryign to use the new version with without a supported audio card. Are you using the latest 1.02.185 ?

Also Opus4 told you to use a defualt STV for testing? it doesn't look like a default one to me its very hard to find out whats going on with your sage setup when you have modded it a lot. Please use a stock stv/xml and send back some logs. Also with all driver and program versions please.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:05 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofreak75
what version purevideo drivers ? Because I see the native error and I think (not sure) that this is from using an old version of Nvidia's decoders (150 think) or your tryign to use the new version with without a supported audio card. Are you using the latest 1.02.185 ?

Also Opus4 told you to use a defualt STV for testing? it doesn't look like a default one to me its very hard to find out whats going on with your sage setup when you have modded it a lot. Please use a stock stv/xml and send back some logs. Also with all driver and program versions please.
I am using the latest NVIDIA drivers. Also this freeze took a week to occur again. I don't want to have to use the default STV for a week to discover if the bug occurs. The default STV did not have the error when I used it for a day, but that does not really mean anything because these freezes occur few and far between.

-Matthew
Old 02-09-2006, 12:19 PM
Sage Advanced User

Any fix for this? This is happening to me as well. Usually if I don't exit back to the main menu after the end of a show it freezes after a period of time.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:53 PM
Sage Expert

are you running in service mode aswell ? I was able to create the EOS bug again, if I ran the server in service mode and then start a client on the same machine. But everything works like it should, when I'm running the server itself. Also Nvidia's 150 decoders had a lot of problems in it and help create some pausing with sage I found (a while back) and have been using the latest decoders for the past few weeks with the latest Sage beta with no problems running VMR9 with HDTV/SDTV etc...

Last edited by Motofreak75; 02-09-2006 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:04 PM
Sage Advanced User

I'm running the server in service mode, but use seperate client machines. Are you suggesting I don't run it in service mode?

I am using nvideo pure video driver version 1.02_150. Do I need to get a newer version?