SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 01-29-2006, 12:11 PM
Sage User

Control DirecTV Box With SageTV HPTC

Hello,
I am setting up Sage TV (HTPC) for the first time. My question, is how do I get the HTPC with Sage to change the channels on my Directv box? On my Tivo, it had the IR output cable that lead to the IR eye on the box. I know I can manually change channels, but say I have programs to auto record, it needs to be able to change it automatically? Normally there is a cable, one end mini plug and other emitter that hooks to the front of the Directv box. This is where I am confused, what means does Sage control channel changing of the box. Thanks for the help.

Thanks JR
Old 01-29-2006, 12:26 PM
Sage Fanatic

Yes it does have the ability to change the channels with the default install. There are two options, either IR or Serial control (if your reciever has it). Serial is much better IMO - faster channel changes. To do that though you would need a special serial cable - you can search these forums for info on how to make one or can buy one online. It's all in the tuner setup.

EDIT:
For IR just check out the SageTV store - you can get the USB-UIRT there.

For premade serial cables check out http://www.dtvcontrol.com/

Last edited by dbfresh23; 01-29-2006 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-29-2006, 12:58 PM
Sage User

So they make a cable that is serial for the HTPC and data (low speed data) on the back of the Directv box? That probably answers all, I did not realize there was a cable like that,

Thanks JR
Old 01-29-2006, 01:06 PM
Sage Fanatic

What receivers do you have? There are some that work better then others. I'd search this forum for your reciever and see how successful others have been with it.

They aren't all low speed data, some have the actual DB9 Seral connection on it. If that's the case then you'll need two of the connectors plus the cable. FYI - depending on how good you are with that type of stuff, the ends can be had for like $2-3 each. I got a couple online and made them so I could just use a standard ethernet cable.
Old 01-29-2006, 03:45 PM
Sage Fanatic

The serial cables don't work with the D11's (yet). They work GREAT with the D10.

The utility that you get at the link posted by dbfresh can also turn off the on screen display and the IR ports so that you never see the blue overlay and someone can't accidently change the channel with a remote control.

Serial control is also (so I've heard) much faster and reliable.

Jere
Old 01-29-2006, 10:54 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jere_Jones
The utility that you get at the link posted by dbfresh can also turn off the on screen display and the IR ports so that you never see the blue overlay and someone can't accidently change the channel with a remote control.
HUH? This is news to me! You talking about the little osd that pops up when the channel is changed? How in the world are you turning that off - that drives me nuts!
Old 01-30-2006, 12:38 AM
Sage Expert

Yeah really! How!!!!
Old 01-30-2006, 12:44 PM
Sage Fanatic

In the DTV utility at dtvcontrol.com, there are buttons for Disable IR and Hide. Push them and bang, no IR control and no OSD!

That little program is also a great way to test the serial connection to your receiver.

Jere
Old 01-30-2006, 12:50 PM
Sage Fanatic

What recievers do you know this to work with? I know I've done that with my old mitsu and the osd still pops up.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:56 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbfresh23
What recievers do you know this to work with? I know I've done that with my old mitsu and the osd still pops up.
The only one I KNOW it works with is the D10-100. I've heard reports of it working on the D10-200 and D10-300 also.

Those D10-100's are only 10 bucks so it's a worthwhile investment!

Jere
Old 01-30-2006, 01:02 PM
Sage Fanatic

Ha, and here I have 2 D10-100s that I'm paying for and just don't have them hooked up to anything! Guess what I'm doing when I get home!

Really hope this works - and THANKS!
Old 01-30-2006, 01:11 PM
Sage Aficionado

Where are they listed for $10 at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jere_Jones

Those D10-100's are only 10 bucks so it's a worthwhile investment!
Where can I get them for $10?
Old 01-30-2006, 01:13 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCritical
Where are they listed for $10 at?
Ebay
Old 01-30-2006, 01:20 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCritical
Where can I get them for $10?
I got lucky and one of the ebayers selling them for $10 is a local store here in Jacksonville, so I just went down there and picked a couple up.

Jere
Old 01-30-2006, 01:21 PM
Sage Fanatic

I actually won an auction for 1 penny for a sealed D10 - sure s/h was like $12 - still not bad though!
Old 01-30-2006, 06:13 PM
Sage User

Hello,
Does anyone know where I can buy the low speed data cable, serial one end, phone connector so I can control Directv box with my Sage.

Thanks JR
Old 01-30-2006, 06:35 PM
Sage Fanatic

WOW - This is awesome! No more reciever OSD when I change channels!! Thanks again Jere!
Old 01-30-2006, 06:41 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspower
Hello,
Does anyone know where I can buy the low speed data cable, serial one end, phone connector so I can control Directv box with my Sage.
You should be able to buy one from the link I posted earlier. I believe you would need the $17 one that includes both ends.

Alternatively - I just went to the dollar store - paid a buck for a handset cable, cut one end off and crimped an RJ45 ethernet adapter on it and plugged it into an RJ45 to db9 adapter. Sounds like a lot but it took me all of 10 minutes to do and figure it saved me about $30 - since I would have needed 2 of them. The hardest part to get was the RJ45 to db9 adapter - I got that off ebay - they don't sell them in radio shack stores, maybe online though.

If you do go the build your own route make absolute sure that you get HANDSET cables as these are smaller then regular telephone cables.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:34 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbfresh23
If you do go the build your own route make absolute sure that you get HANDSET cables as these are smaller then regular telephone cables.
If you're going to build your own cable, you might as well do it right. What was easiest for me was to buy a female DB9 to female DB9 cable and cut it in half. Then I put a RJ22 (the handset connector) on the cut ends and BAM- two working cables for $11. (The cable was $9.99) When choosing the length, look for the double the distance you need since you will be cutting it in half.

It is strong and looks extremely professional.

Jere
Old 01-30-2006, 08:27 PM
Sage Fanatic

OK OK - that will look more professional them my way - but finding those RJ22 connectors, what a PITA! My was was more of the I don't want to wait so I just used the phone cord. I made the original mistake of thinking that DTV would be logical and use RJ11 which is much easier to find.