SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 01-30-2006, 11:22 AM

Lost. Wanting to watch DVD's on any and all TV's

I know this question may have already been answered, if so I apologize now, and ask you to direct me to the thread that will help me. Thank you.

I have been reading and searching this site, and getting pretty confused, trying to put it all together.
Here is what I want to do at this time.
1. Program to record live TV from 1 spot (be it via PC or TV). May expand later. I think I understand that I would need a second tuner card in server to accomplish this from a second TV, third tuner for third TV, etc… .
2. Watch/listen to anything (dvd/cd/tv ) saved on hard drive (server) from ‘any’ TV in house. I believe this would be as simple as using the extender connected to each TV? I have hard wired a complete network throughout the house. I believe I would have to upgrade my router (have a 10/100 right now).
3. When I get to building the Home Theater (yr or so) I will worry about the HD tv’s at that point. Just using simple old TV’s at this time.
4. Do not need to watch live TV thru system, will continue to watch TV the ‘normal’ way.
5. VCR is shot, and don’t want to buy a DVD recorder and stacks of blank DVD’s
Thank you for your help.
Dave
Old 01-30-2006, 11:27 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm382
I know this question may have already been answered, if so I apologize now, and ask you to direct me to the thread that will help me. Thank you.

I have been reading and searching this site, and getting pretty confused, trying to put it all together.
Here is what I want to do at this time.
1. Program to record live TV from 1 spot (be it via PC or TV). May expand later. I think I understand that I would need a second tuner card in server to accomplish this from a second TV, third tuner for third TV, etc… .
Yup, you'll need one tuner for each channel/program you want to record (recording includes LiveTV) simultaneously. You don't need one for each TV if you don't want to watch something different live on each TV at the same time.

Quote:
2. Watch/listen to anything (dvd/cd/tv ) saved on hard drive (server) from ‘any’ TV in house. I believe this would be as simple as using the extender connected to each TV?
No, extenders have somewhat limited media support. If you want to watch everything/anything, you'll need a PC client. Extenders don't support DVD at the moment.