SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

View Poll Results: Blu-ray, HD-DVD, DVD, don't care?
I'll buy whatever it takes to get the movies I want in HD. 10 6.06%
I'll buy Blu-ray since it will win. 9 5.45%
I'll buy HD-DVD, it's gona win. 8 4.85%
I'll buy whatever's out first. 1 0.61%
I'm gona wait and buy whoever's left standing. 35 21.21%
I'm gona stick with DVD until the CP/DRM issues are sorted out. 79 47.88%
Who cares? 23 13.94%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-22-2007, 02:54 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenixdragon View Post
I have to say I love how easy you can copy HD DVD to your HDD now and Blu Ray is right around the corner. And sure far their isn' anything the MPAA can do about it. So DRM is stripped.
It's actually already here, in fact, from what little I can tell, Blu-ray is a bit easier as it uses more "legacy" formats (specifically Transport Streams, DTS, DD, and PCM, vs HD DVD which is almost all new).

Quote:
I hope HD DVD wins as I hate Sony's cocky attitude about everything towards the consumer. But right now HD DVD's problem is that there is no writable HD DVD discs.
I don't see that as a problem, I don't know why there's any correlation between having writable discs and the success of a movie-delivery format.

Quote:
Blu Ray has them all oevr the place now. HD DVD is going to be hurting if they do not get this out very soon.
Why?

Quote:
In fact they already are losing ground beacuse Blu Ray burners and media is out there.
They're loosing ground because there haven't been any good releases since last year while Blu-ray is big into "catch-up" mode. HD DVD releases have been pathetic lately.

Quote:
I'd buy a HD DVD burner if it was a few hundred bucks with media maybe even being $5 a discs, at least intially. And having hte ability top copy back from my HDD to a blank HD DVD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkohn
I just don't understand how people can say this unless they're just sitting too far away from the TV. Maybe some people just don't really care about image quality that much, but to me the difference between SD and HD is very noticeable.
I can, if you sit back (figuratively) and really look at the differences objectively, you'll soon come to a realization about the reality of the difference.

Probably the "most important" part of a movie is the closeups, and on closeups, the difference between DVD and HD is subtle. There just isn't a lot of detail in faces, and DVD can capture most all of it. If you look at well-presented DVD, you'll see that it's capable of resolving individual hairs on people faces during closeups.

Now where HD really shines, or where DVD falters, is on long shots and backgrounds. These are the places where the limitations of DVD's resolution become apparent. I posted picks that illustrate that here:
http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showthr...8&postcount=28

On the cityscape, you can easily tell the difference, the detail is much greater on the HD vs the DVD, but on the closeup of Riddic, there's just not nearly the difference.