SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 01-31-2006, 12:39 PM
Sage Fanatic

New Hardware, Fresh Install 4.1.6, Half of recordings gone

I switched out some hardware and rebuilt my HTPC over the weekend. I now have 4.1.6 installed and all seems as expected accept when I overlayed a backup copy of my old wiz.bin and wiz.bak files into my fresh install directory, I only get about half of my recordings to show up in the "Sage Recordings" folder. The rest of the recordings show up in the imported video's folder with out their guide info. etc.

I double checked and the recording drives Y: and Z: are correctly assigned in detailed set up. The imported video files are also correctly assigned in detailed setup and are stored on a folder drive X:

This drive naming scheme has changed since my previous install. The Y and Z drivers were formerly D and E, and the imported folder was a subfolder on one of these drives. I thought I read that as long as the video files still had their id numbers in the file name they would be properly included in the recordings folder in sage after such a rebuild / swicheroo.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Old 01-31-2006, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Were the drive letters all mapped drives previously? Are those letters still available for SageTV to see that the recordings are no longer there?

Look in the beta progress sticky & check the link to v4.1.5 for its release notes. I think there was a property you can try setting to prevent db cleanup when moving files.

All those recordings were in that wiz.bin backup?

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:55 PM
Sage Fanatic

Ya they were all in the wiz.bin and backup. I made a backup of the entire folder then tore the computer appart and moved the capture cards to a newer machine and coppied the folders containing the recordings to the new drives on the new computer.

These drives are local drives, and they were local on the old machine too. Ill try re importing the wez files after looking into the db clean up setting. Though it would seem that any db cleanup would have to have been done sometime after the drives were removed from the old system.

Ill try a backup from a few days earlier to check.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:17 PM
Sage Fanatic

I exited sage, set wizard/disable_maintenance=True in the properties file, over wrote the wiz.bin and wiz.bak files with copies from the 22nd.

Restarted sage and there was no difference. A bunch of recordings in the import list but not so many in the recordings list.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:00 PM
Sage Icon

If you could set up the naming of your new HD's to be the same as the old HD's and use the old wiz.bin, it'd probably work just fine, unfortunately I don't feel that SAge is 100% when doing file moves.

When I moved my recordings stored on multiple recording drives onto a new RAID 5 drvie, I found that with my original wiz.bin, Sage would "find" around 90% of my recordings. The rest would become imports. I would shut down Sage and copy back in the same original wiz.bin and Sage would "find" a different batch of files and import the rest. I guess it just didn't like reindexing large batches of files, I was throwing 100+ moves at a time, one 250GB drive at a time, restarting Sage after each set of moves.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:27 PM
Administrator

You've also tried setting make_all_mediafiles_local=true, as mentioned in this run-on of a FAQ entry in the last Q? There is a also note from SageTV after that, but be sure that new property is set to prevent database maintenance in the midst of all that. It has been a long time since I moved a lot of files, but that last Q describes what I did quite a while back... not sure if any of it is too far out of date.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:57 PM
Sage Fanatic

I removed my imports folder and both my recording drives and restarted sage. Funny thing is nothing changed, recordings showed up in both the imports folder and in the recordings folder.

My computer then crashed. I don't know if that was sage or a overclocking fopa. Anyway after a reboot I deleted the wiz files and Sage showed no recordings or favorites.

I then changed the drive letters on my drives back to D and E and directed sage to use them for recording directories. I then shut down sage and copied my latest backup of the wiz files back into the sage dir again.

After a Sage restart everything worked again. It was definitely weird there for a little while. Some programs were even mis marked with the wrong name. I also noticed that recordings that were segmented into two files showed up in both the recordings menu and the imported video's menu. After watching them and deleting them they were gone from both however.

(wiping sweat from brow) The only thing lost now are a few points from the WAF. Some of her recordings were missed due to my fumbling around for the last couple of hours.

Thanks for your help, I wonder, if I plug in some usb drives, name them Y: and Z: and add them to sage as recording directories, then quit sage and swap drive letter names, D: for Y: and E: for Z: Can I then restart sage and remove the drives D: and E: and keep all of my recodings coherent in the database? For some reason I want drives Y and Z dedicated to sage.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:09 AM
Administrator

I know I asked this, but I'm not clear on the answer: did drives D & E not exist at all when you were trying to get the recordings recognized on drives Y & Z? If that is the case, remember: SageTV has to see them some place. Just create mapped drives for those 2 letters, pointing to some blank dir. SageTV will then be able to see that the recordings aren't on those drives any more.

In SageTV, set up all recording dirs: d, e, y, z. Close SageTV. change drive letters to y & z; add d & e as mapped drives. Restart SageTV. If things move correctly, remove video dirs d & e; unmap those letters. If you've already done this, then disregard & pretend you didn't see this.

- Andy
Old 02-01-2006, 11:55 AM
Sage Fanatic

Hmm come to think of it only D: was an active drive letter (DVD-ROM), when I was trying to use Y and Z. I suppose sage looked at the cd rom and determined that there were no recordings there and then looked to one but not both of the drives Y and Z. Drive E was not found however, so Sage just thought those files were missing. When they were found on drive Z they were imported to the imported files folder. I guess that may be why only half the programs showed up in the recordings menu.