SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 02-02-2006, 03:02 PM
Sage User

Lightbulb Elegant solution for hibernating with Hauppauge 150

Problem: After waking up the computer the IR component of Hauppauge 150 needs to be reinitialized in order to record.
Solution 1: install SageWake and create a few batch files.
Solution 2: install SageWake and use my program (restartir.exe)

My program will perform the following operations:
--will look to see if SageWake is active. If it`s not, it will activate it. Sagewake will be activated with --noir and --usehiber(Condition: SageWake needs to be in SageTV's folder: C:\Program Files\Frey Technologies\SageTV)
--it will wait 30 seconds (so the computer start-up routines will be over)
--closes the IR component (ir.exe)--> Condition: ir.exe needs to be in C:\Program Files\WinTV
--waits 5 seconds
--restarts the IR component
--program shuts down on its own

Installation notes:
- unpack archive and place the 3 files into SageTV folder
- create a shortcut for restartir.exe and place it into Startup folder. Also, delete the existing RestartIR link from the Start-up folder since it's not required anymore)
- run it -->look on the taskbar - if after 30 seconds the ir icon disappears and reappears it mean it was installed correctly
Attached Files
File Type: zip RestartIR.zip (395.2 KB, 167 views)
Old 02-02-2006, 03:53 PM
Sage Advanced User

I'm curious why you bother with SageWake if you've got a program to kill and restart the IR process. I find SageTV works fine for entering and resuming from hibernate. It is just the IR process that is problematic. Is your problem slightly different?

What I'm trying in the meantime is brute force. I run a bat file every 30 minute (just before the 1/2 hour) that restarts the IR. Today's my first day testing that.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:19 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by amac
I'm curious why you bother with SageWake if you've got a program to kill and restart the IR process. I find SageTV works fine for entering and resuming from hibernate. It is just the IR process that is problematic. Is your problem slightly different?

What I'm trying in the meantime is brute force. I run a bat file every 30 minute (just before the 1/2 hour) that restarts the IR. Today's my first day testing that.
SageWake is useful because it detects when the computer wakes up and runs my little program. Sure, I could use WinTask scheduler to run my program every 2 minutes, but I consider too much of a caveman approach (no offense).
I don't like the batch files since after executing they still remain active (you have to close them manually)
Old 02-02-2006, 06:09 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentmonolith
SageWake is useful because it detects when the computer wakes up and runs my little program. Sure, I could use WinTask scheduler to run my program every 2 minutes, but I consider too much of a caveman approach (no offense).
I don't like the batch files since after executing they still remain active (you have to close them manually)
Regarding the batch files, I use the start command in front of the commands run in the batch file and then I call the 'Exit' command. There is no window left open.

Caveman? No offense taken, that was my quick and dirty method today while enjoy a bout of the flu. Oddly, even this solution doesn't seem to work all the time. Even though the IR program is reset, SageTV still can't seem to talk to the blaster/transmitter. Bizarre.

As to Sagewake, I'm curious. If you're firing your program off from Sagewake, then why is it necessary for your program to check if Sagewake is running (seeing as Sagewake is the program that launches yours).

I gave up on Sagewake because of errant warnings. Sometimes when the computer wakes, Sagewake immediately issues a dialog stating the computer is going into standby/hibernate. I then miss my recording.

Admittedly, I haven't tried the lastest version yet to see if that bug has been fixed.

So bottom line, while it won't work for me (my programs aren't on the C drive), does your solution work flawlessly for you?

Last edited by amac; 02-02-2006 at 06:13 PM.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:05 PM
Sage User

Re: which program starts which:
1. let's say the computer hibernates and wakes up - Sagewake is already on and will run my program
2. let's say you restart the computer - Sagewake is off (nothing will launch it) so here is where my program kicks in to see if SageWake is running. Of course it's not, so it will activate it. But for this to work, you have to put a shortcut into Startup for restartir.exe.

I could modify my software to fit your paths if you`re interested.
This option seems to work for me without any problems.

SageWake has a feature to turn on/off applications on its own but I could never figure out exactly how it works. That's why I created this little helper.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:14 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Re: which program starts which:
1. let's say the computer hibernates and wakes up - Sagewake is already on and will run my program
2. let's say you restart the computer - Sagewake is off (nothing will launch it) so here is where my program kicks in to see if SageWake is running. Of course it's not, so it will activate it. But for this to work, you have to put a shortcut into Startup for restartir.exe.

I could modify my software to fit your paths if you`re interested.
This option seems to work for me without any problems.

SageWake has a feature to turn on/off applications on its own but I could never figure out exactly how it works. That's why I created this little helper.
So to summarize, you're using Sagewake to run RestartIr program when the computer awakes. And yet your RestartIr program is also in the Windows Startup folder. Why not just put Sagewake in the StartUp folder and have it run your program whenever it wakes up?

In any event since Sagewake doesn't reliably wake my computer this solution won't be viable.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:18 AM
Sage Advanced User

FYI:

I received an email from Sage today. I had submitted a bug regarding this issue of not resetting the IR program when it wakes. They said it is a bug and that they believe they have fixed it in SageTV 4.1.6 .

I responded that 4.1.6 does seem to change the channel correctly on the first (after a reboot) awakening from hibernate, but not on subsequent awakening cycles.

Based on their input, I will hold off on any custom solution and due more rigorous testing of 4.1.6 this weekend. I'll post my results asap.

(Adding these keywords for others searching: Hauppauge, remote, blaster, transmitter, standby, hibernate, channel change)
Old 02-03-2006, 11:54 AM
Sage User

I didn't want to put SageWake in the start-up folder because I didn't want to create a batch file - I wanted a single file for all (to start SageWake and reinitialize the IR)
Old 02-03-2006, 12:12 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
I didn't want to put SageWake in the start-up folder because I didn't want to create a batch file - I wanted a single file for all (to start SageWake and reinitialize the IR)
I know you indicated earlier that you experienced difficulties use the execute/terminate parameters of Sagewake.

I would have thought you could have just specified the short for Sagewake to be "<path>sagewake.exe --noir --hiber --execute="<path>RestartIr.exe"

On another note, I notice you wait 5 seconds after killing the IR process before restarting it again. I was going to add something similar because the restart doesn't seem to work quite right if I issue the restart immediately after the kill. Basically the remote would function but the blaster did not. Did you experience something similar?

Cheers!
Old 02-03-2006, 01:18 PM
Sage Advanced User

Unhappy

Hi,
I am having a similar (related) problem with my Haup. remote this last week after upgrading to latest Sage update. If I put Sage to sleep in system tray the remote looses focus or something and will not work anymore. I tried closing the IR symbol on tray and restarting it and it was giving a message to the extent "can not initilalize ir remote". Really weird. I tried shutting Sage down completely and restarting to no avail. Finally, if I reboot pc it will work again. I have a pvr-150 w/remote. Any ideas?
Randy

HD-200 extender, 37 in. lcd tv (HDMI)
Old 02-03-2006, 04:10 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by amac
I know you indicated earlier that you experienced difficulties use the execute/terminate parameters of Sagewake.

I would have thought you could have just specified the short for Sagewake to be "<path>sagewake.exe --noir --hiber --execute="<path>RestartIr.exe"

On another note, I notice you wait 5 seconds after killing the IR process before restarting it again. I was going to add something similar because the restart doesn't seem to work quite right if I issue the restart immediately after the kill. Basically the remote would function but the blaster did not. Did you experience something similar?

Cheers!
The command is as follows:
c:\Progra~1\FreyTe~1\SageTV\sagewake.exe--execute="C:\progra~1\freyt~1\sagetv\restartir.exe" --noir --usehiber
Sometimes If you close/restart the IR component too fast you'll be getting an error - that`s why is better to wait a little bit.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:41 AM
Sage Advanced User

Well I did do more testing last weekend and indeed, what I posted earlier seems to be true. If I just use Sage 4.1.6.75 and its built-in power management, the IR transmitter successfully changes the channel on the first hibernate/wake-up cycle (after a fresh reboot).

Subsequently the Sage loses synch in communicating with the IR transmitter and so what should take 2 seconds at most to issue a 3-digit channel change takes somewhere between 2-5 minutes with one digit issued to the STB at 1 minute intervals (or so). Obviously my STB times out trying to change the channel when the channel digits are issued so slowly.

I'll update when there is more news from Sage or when another version/beta of SageTV is released.

Meanwhile, back to Sagewake. I am posting a reply at its main thread regarding what I hope is a solution to the problem I've been experiencing trying to use it.