SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 02-03-2006, 04:26 PM

Can I Use a Dual Tuner TiVo with 2 PVR-150's and Sage

I have 2 PVR-150's installed in my HTPC and have purchased SageTV (not installed yet). I have been waiting to get an additional DirecTV box to hook up to the PVR-150's (I also plan to have OTA signals going to each one through the RF port). I was going to relocate 1 old DirecTV box to use as the input to one of the PVR-150's and replace that one with a newer box. DirecTV just offered a refurb'd DirecTiVo for ~$15 so I ordered one.

So my 1st question now is could I hook this TiVo to both of my PVR-150's so I could record 2 programs that air at the same time? The more I think about it, I don't think it would work, because I couldn't output both programs at once, correct?

If my assumption above is correct, would this be a possibility to give me the ability to record 2 different shows that are airing at the same time on 1 PVR-150 doing the following:
1. Use Sage to tune to the 1st show and record it at that time on the PVR-150.
2. Record the 2nd show on my DirecTiVo (I would have to set it up outside of Sage) and then when the PVR-150 was idle, have it play the recorded show from the TiVo and record it again on the PVR-150. Or would I not be able to automatically pick the show to play then record through Sage?

I guess my last option would be to hack the DirecTiVo and transfer 2nd show over to the same hard drive location where the Hauppauge files are stored.

One last question...If I have both OTA connected to the PVR-150 and s-video from the DirecTiVo will Sage be able to pick which source to use when a recording is scheduled?

thanks,

Murray
Old 02-03-2006, 04:47 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayW
So my 1st question now is could I hook this TiVo to both of my PVR-150's so I could record 2 programs that air at the same time? The more I think about it, I don't think it would work, because I couldn't output both programs at once, correct?
Correct

Quote:
If my assumption above is correct, would this be a possibility to give me the ability to record 2 different shows that are airing at the same time on 1 PVR-150 doing the following:
1. Use Sage to tune to the 1st show and record it at that time on the PVR-150.
2. Record the 2nd show on my DirecTiVo (I would have to set it up outside of Sage) and then when the PVR-150 was idle, have it play the recorded show from the TiVo and record it again on the PVR-150. Or would I not be able to automatically pick the show to play then record through Sage?
As it stands now, there's no way to have Sage "transfer" a recording from an external DVR. It's not impossible, but would probably require a good bit of custom STV work.

Quote:
I guess my last option would be to hack the DirecTiVo and transfer 2nd show over to the same hard drive location where the Hauppauge files are stored.
Or just use 2 boxes

Quote:
One last question...If I have both OTA connected to the PVR-150 and s-video from the DirecTiVo will Sage be able to pick which source to use when a recording is scheduled?
Yup, it will record from whatever is appropriate. You will have to run through the source setup twice, once for the tuner/OTA and once for the S-Video/DTV.