SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 02-06-2006, 09:59 AM
Sage Fanatic

Question Asking too much of my HDD?

Hello,

This weekend I had a very rare thing happen (at least at our house). Sage crashed on us. Granted I am running the latest beta and at first I chalked it up to that. But after thinking about it, maybe it was not just a beta issue.

It happened like this. My son had just finished watching a recording using our main sage box. I deleted it. Sage locked up hard with a never ending spinning logo. Turns out that at pretty much the same time my wife was trying to delete a recording on the bedroom client. She also got a lockup with the spinning logo. While this was going on sage was also recording two high def shows using my vbox usb tuners.

I had installed the beta the day before because of problems I am pretty sure are linked to the vbox tuners. So I am thinking, great, I will get no WAF with this thing giving me trouble with HD and now crashing on us. Then it occured to me that sage is set up to use only one HDD. Maybe recording two HD shows and attemting to delete two shows, all at the same time was a little too much for one HDD.

Should this have been no problem, or am I right in guessing that this was too much for one HDD to do all at once?

TIA

Jesse
Old 02-06-2006, 11:25 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse
Should this have been no problem, or am I right in guessing that this was too much for one HDD to do all at once?
I doubt the HDD was being taxed beyond it's capabilities. When you look at what some people (myself included) are doing here with their SageTV boxes it's hard to believe two HD shows and trying to delete a couple others would tax a modern HDD beyond it's capabilities.
Pegasus - SageTV/HomeSeer Server: Core2Duo 1.8GHz, 1GB, 1.5TB RAID5, 2.25TB RAID5, Radeon X1050, (2) Hauppauge PVR250 (only used for security cameras now), SiliconDust HDHomeRun, Hauppauge HD-PVR, WinXP Pro
Prometheus - SageTV Client: Core2Duo 2.66GHz, 1GB, 500GB, GeForce 8400GS, WinXP Pro, 848x480 to InFocus SP4805 projector on a 78" screen
HD Theater (HD200) connected via HDMI to Panasonic TH-42PX60U 42" plasma
web server plugin | 2 MediaMVP Extenders | FiOS TV