SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 02-07-2006, 02:23 AM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to Ryokurin Send a message via AIM to Ryokurin Send a message via Yahoo to Ryokurin
Anyone just have hauppauge devices just die?

I've been at the HTPC game for like two years and seriously I just seem to have bad luck at cards with hauppauge. In that two years time I've gone through like 4 cards. For a while I thought it was a bad mainboard that I was using most of the time but now that two are now dead on a completely different system im actually getting wary of them. Am I the only one or is this kind of common for people here? heres the list of failures.

1. PVR-250 died in a shuttle xpc. This was after I started leaving the pc on 24/7. died after about a month.

2. Replacement PVR-250. died again under the same circumstances but lasted about six months.

3. 250s are now out of retail. I now got two 150s and a new mainboard. They have been running fine for over a year but just about an hour ago the screen blinked and one started playing sound way late compared to the video. The other was fine, up until I decided to uninstall the drivers and upgrade. Now the one that plays the video late is displaying either white or red and the one that was running fine now only displays video with no sound.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:01 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryokurin
1. PVR-250 died in a shuttle xpc. This was after I started leaving the pc on 24/7. died after about a month.

2. Replacement PVR-250. died again under the same circumstances but lasted about six months.
Sounds like a heat problem to me.

Quote:
3. 250s are now out of retail. I now got two 150s and a new mainboard. They have been running fine for over a year but just about an hour ago the screen blinked and one started playing sound way late compared to the video. The other was fine, up until I decided to uninstall the drivers and upgrade. Now the one that plays the video late is displaying either white or red and the one that was running fine now only displays video with no sound.
Might just be a software/driver problem.

Marneb
Old 02-07-2006, 09:53 AM
Sage Fanatic

I had an old style pvr-250 with heat sink and a newer style without. They worked together for about a year and the new style pvr stopped working. I tried different slots and drivers, but never got it working again.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:13 AM
Sage Icon

Two old style pvr-250 working 24/7 for over two years now....no problems.
I had
1 Motherboard,............Very cheap one 30 bucks
1 Power supply, ................... No name, came with the case
3 Hard drives................ 2 maxtor's 1 seagate. all still under warranty and was replaced
1 Dual cooling fan
all went south on me in my sage box.

Hauppauge been running like a champ

Last edited by Fluffdaddy; 02-07-2006 at 10:16 AM.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:02 PM
Sage Icon

My old Sage system had three PVR-250s. The center one died because of thermal problems (corrupted recordings and then nothing). I replaced them with PVR-USB2s and have never had any problems since.

Quote:
I've been at the HTPC game for like two years and seriously I just seem to have bad luck at cards with hauppauge. In that two years time I've gone through like 4 cards. For a while I thought it was a bad mainboard that I was using most of the time but now that two are now dead on a completely different system im actually getting wary of them. Am I the only one or is this kind of common for people here? heres the list of failures.