SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-08-2006, 10:52 PM
Sage User

SageTV Unresponsive During EPG Update

Tonight SageTV missed the first 7 minutes of a favorite (Lost) at 8:00 PM. I checked the settings screen, and this corresponded with the last EPG update that also took place at exactly 8:00 PM. I haven't had this happen before but I have seen SageTV completely lock up (not respond to commands) during other EPG updates, seemingly due to increased disk activity. I'm running version 4.1.3.67 in service mode, though I've seen the same problem with previous versions as well. Has anyone else had this problem and does anyone know of a solution? Thanks.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:31 AM
Sage Aficionado

easy fix is trigger the epg to occur when nothing good is on. For me that's 6-9am. you can manually set the epg update time, i believe info is in the faq....just be aware that if you accidentally trigger one again, it will continue on at that new time; which is annoying. You can do it easily and remotely using the webserver from work....very convenient.

The resource problem with epg updates has been a problem for me as well, though I don't think mine has ever missed 7min like that. More like stuttering during playback.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:11 PM
Sage Expert

Yeah, this is one of my pet peeves about SageTV (and there aren't many). I don't understand why I can't just go in and say to have my updates happen at a certain time, I have to go through some contorted mess to change it. Just give me an option in the setup screens that lists my active EPG's and when they are set to fire so I can change it more easily.
Old 02-09-2006, 03:20 PM
Sage User

Given that recording shows is most important and updating the EPG is secondary, shouldn't the EPG process be throttled so it doesn't cripple the entire system? I don't run my computer 24/7 so updating in the middle of the night isn't the best solution for me.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:39 AM

I dealt with this problem for a while. Adding RAM to the server definitely helped, and then I picked up a cheap SCSI 15K drive on eBay. No more problems. How much RAM does your server have?
Old 02-10-2006, 08:04 AM
Sage Aficionado

Considering this should run on a p3 600 with 256MB ram, $$$ hardware shouldn't be the fix for a software issue such as this (assuming you have a decent system). Either way, sagetv MAY already be throttling it in a way by setting it as idle priority....I've tried to get info on this, but to no avail. Mine is working fine now, so I don't worry too much anymore.

But I find it funny that showanalyzer can be set to throttle to XX% CPU and that is a smaller endeavour then sagetv.

anyway, this is one of my pet peeves with sagetv; cpu usage and how it is controlled. It doesn't seem right to me.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:52 PM
Administrator

Is an EPG plugin being used? I'm told that the internal EPG update code should be throttling itself to prevent such issues.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:14 AM
Sage User

Thanks for all the replies.

The machine is a 1 GHz P3 with 768 MB of RAM.

I am not using an EPG plugin.

I also saw a strange behavior the following night during the EPG update at 8:00 PM. I know that previously there were 3 favorites scheduled to record at 9:00, 9:30, and 10:00 PM. During the EPG update, however, the schedule disappeared entirely. After the update completed, the favorites reappeared on the schedule. Could it be this behavior that caused the problem with the missing minutes on the recording of Lost?
Old 02-11-2006, 10:58 AM

I would definitely try upping the RAM. How many channels are in your lineup? Are you using IR?
Old 02-11-2006, 06:12 PM
Sage Aficionado

> 512mb of ram is fine IMO. I had no issues with 256mb.

have you changed your epg update to a different time?
Old 02-13-2006, 05:35 PM
Sage User

There are about 70 channels in my lineup. I'm not using IR.

No, I haven't changed the EPG update time yet.