SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 02-09-2006, 01:26 PM
Sage Aficionado

Feasability of porting MediaPortal plugins?

Question for all plugin coding gurus... given that MediaPortal is open source and has a VAST selection of very cool plugins, what is the feasibility of porting plugins from them to work with Sage?

Given that SageMC shares a few of its skins with MediaPortal could there even be the possibility of getting plugins that interact with the UI to work?

TIA
Old 02-24-2006, 02:21 PM

Why not just use the superior product and get the "cool" plugins without having to port them over!
Old 02-24-2006, 02:40 PM
Sage Advanced User

Who let the troll in?
Old 02-24-2006, 02:46 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khris
Why not just use the superior product and get the "cool" plugins without having to port them over!
I'm confused . I thought that was the point of wanting to port them over. To use the superior product .

BobP.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:58 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhoenix
...to use the superior product.
On a far more superior product. MediaPortal can be so buggy, why would I want to go there and use it.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:07 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jquinlan
On a far more superior product. MediaPortal can be so buggy, why would I want to go there and use it.

That's what I thought as well.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:41 PM
Sage Fanatic

Isn't this question about porting functionality, not arguing about which PVR software is more desirable?

Xred, If you have a specific request or desire for a feature, state your case in a separate thread specific to that topic. If there is enough interest then a developer type may just decide to replicate the functionality in a Sage specific import file. As far as a pre existing tool to port a plug-in from another product I doubt one exists.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by xred
Question for all plugin coding gurus... given that MediaPortal is open source and has a VAST selection of very cool plugins, what is the feasibility of porting plugins from them to work with Sage?

Given that SageMC shares a few of its skins with MediaPortal could there even be the possibility of getting plugins that interact with the UI to work?

TIA
Possible yes, trivial no. First a clarification, SageMC doesn't "share skins" with MediaPortal. What's "shared" is some images. The underlying architecture is vastly different.

Same with "plugins", SageTV is a vastly different architecture than MediaPortal (AFAIK), I'd say you could duplicate almost anything from any other PVR/Media Center software in SageTV, but odds are it would take a ground-up effort.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:49 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanzee
Isn't this question about porting functionality, not arguing about which PVR software is more desirable?
Sorry. I never should have responded to the troll but I couldn't resist.

BobP.
Old 02-25-2006, 12:39 PM
Sage

This should probably help you. It's a tutorial I wrote on how to integrate a C# component into SageTV using the Studio.

http://www.sagetv.com/IntegrateVBDot...udio_Curr.html
Old 02-26-2006, 03:34 PM
Sage Aficionado

I wouldn't give Khris too much "air play."

It looks like this "member" has signed up to harass ppl about mediaportal.

Khris you need to move on!
Old 02-27-2006, 01:48 PM
Sage Icon

I don't think it's practical to try and adopt mediaportal plugins in Sage. This is far more hassle than it's worth.

Still, mediaportal is very cool, and I am wondering about running it on the same system as Sage, but on a different video output. With 2 sounds cards and different IR controllers, it might be an interesting approach.

Has anyone had experience in running Sage with VMR9 FSE on one display and being able to run other software on a different display? With two DVI ports on many video cards like my XFX 6600GT, it could be interesting.

Thanks,
mike