SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-06-2003, 12:38 AM
Sage User

Audio Sync

I'm having major problems getting my audio synched right. After two hours of fiddling around, the delay is currently set to 3750ms!

Although it now seems to be synched, the thing is, I don't think there is any way, unless I'm crazy, that the audio is actually delayed by 3750ms. The scale does not appear to be correct. It does seem that increasing the delay does in fact slow down the audio some, but not by nearly as much as it says. Is this possible, or have I lost my mind?

I mean, the lips were a little off when the delay was zero, but I'm pretty sure not by almost 4 seconds!

As an aside, what I could really use is a better way to set the sync rate. Either real time adjustment, and/or a separate sync setup tool. Perhaps with a looped video of someone saying the Peter Piper rhyme (letter P is good for synching lips : ) :P

I am using a PVR 350 with the latest 21199 drivers. I watch exclusively through the TV out via yet another computer (2Ghz NvGf4ti) with a capture card and Dscaler. I have left software video decoding enabled because of lockup bugs when disabling it. It's an older 500Mhz P2, 256Mb RAM, exlusively used for SageTV under WinXP (fully service packed). The audio is an Aureal 8810 with stock XPsp1 drivers. I am using the MPEG Audio decoder and Default renderer.
Old 09-06-2003, 12:29 PM
Sage

Since you're using the video output from the PVR350 card, you should also use the sound output from the PVR350 card...not the one from your sound card. That'll fix your audio delay.
Old 09-06-2003, 01:02 PM
Sage User

I *am* using the the audio out from the PVR350
Old 09-08-2003, 11:48 AM
Sage

For the PVR350's sound output, I don't have any control over the audio delay, so the setting doesn't affect that.

Is the audio/video synced if you watch it through your monitor/sound card?
Old 09-08-2003, 06:34 PM
Sage User

Heh, that figures. I knew the lip sync was off, so every time I saw the video fall behind, I would bump the audio delay setting up a bit. Eventually, things seemed better. I reset it back to 0 again, and things are still synced. Feh.

So, hrm, I guess it's probably not a Sage problem then. The question then is, is the sync problem I experienced on encoding (most likely I think) or decoding, and is it in hardware or software. Uhg.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:05 PM
Sage Advanced User

Out of interest, I found that if I play back using the audio output on the PVR-350, the audio sync starts OK, but over time gradually gets more and more out of sync. I didn't bother trying to set a delay because the amount of sync delay varied over time.

Switching the audio to my PC's sound output (built into the motherboard) fixed this.