SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Linux Discussion related to the SageTV Media Center for Linux. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Linux should be posted here.

Old 02-15-2006, 08:52 PM
Sage Advanced User

Activation failing

I had to install Sage Linux oem on a new server due to failing hardware. I'm running into the following error:

error with license activation: java.net unknown host exception:sage.tv

Any ideas what I can do to correct this to allow a successful activation. I've already done a reinstall.

I'm a newbie to linux so please make any explanations dummy proof!
Old 02-15-2006, 09:21 PM
Administrator

Check this thread: Activation Error. I don't know if you are getting the same error, but for activation issues, I would contact SageTV.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:47 PM
Sage Advanced User

No, its a different error. I have reviewed that thread already and the issue there seems to revolve around Sage needing to correct some internal issues. I'm thinking my issue is more a networking problem as it is reporting unknown host... Just a guess though.

How common is it to have to contact Sage tv for activation stuff?
Old 02-15-2006, 09:51 PM
Administrator

Don't know... I just pointed out that other thread in case you hadn't seen it. (Plus, you mentioned putting it onto a new server, so I thought the hardware change could still be an issue.)

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:50 AM
Sage Advanced User

I really appreciate haveing responses from Mods and Admins. I've poked around these forums quite a bit and all over the place I see well informed posts. Nice boards you are running here.

I just wish sage hadn't been such a beast to setup. I've been working on a stable sage install for a month now. The longest I've been stable is 48 hours. Granted, i started out with a defective server motherboard but now I'm dealing with this.

Why can't any of the good technology be stress free?
Old 02-16-2006, 12:58 PM
Sage Advanced User

Ok, i just sent in my support request. How long does it normally take to get an answer?
Old 02-16-2006, 02:48 PM
Administrator

BTW: I asked about that error msg too. I don't know if the hardware change will also cause an activation problem one the system can connect, but I was told that the error is most likely a DHCP/DNS issue (as you were thinking). I don't know a lot about networking, so I don't have a suggestion regarding gettings things configured on your system. Anyone know how to make sure the system is getting an IP address & can access the internet? Maybe you could describe your network configuration to what others have to say about it.

- Andy
Old 02-16-2006, 04:05 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
BTW: I asked about that error msg too. I don't know if the hardware change will also cause an activation problem one the system can connect, but I was told that the error is most likely a DHCP/DNS issue (as you were thinking). I don't know a lot about networking, so I don't have a suggestion regarding gettings things configured on your system. Anyone know how to make sure the system is getting an IP address & can access the internet? Maybe you could describe your network configuration to what others have to say about it.

- Andy

During the boot process it initializes eth0. While doing that it pulls an ip address. 192.168.1.199 was the last I saw. As far as checking connectivity beyond that I wouldn't know how to do that.

My network is a simple one, I've got residential cable high speed internet going into a Clark Connect linux router and from there to a couple of switches to distribute it. Under the previous install this system had worked without incident or configuration.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:39 PM
Sage User

Can you ping your router's IP address? (If you don't know this, it's the one with a "Destination" of 0.0.0.0 in the output of "netstat -rn")

Can you ping an IP outside your network?

Is DNS working properly? (Can you ping www.sagetv.com?)

-Ben
Old 02-16-2006, 11:26 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via AIM to laurenglenn Send a message via MSN to laurenglenn
I was having a problem with DHCP on my system and my router. It would work most of the time, but other times, it would sit and wait for DHCP to return something. If it timed out, Samba and networking wouldn't be installed.....

So, while Linux was booting and initalizing the hardware... (where it shows [OK] all the time), I hit Control-C, entered the root password as set during the install, and typed "net-setup eth0"

I gave it a fixed IP address. My router is set to 192.168.1.1, so I set my computer to 192.168.1.100, set the DNS to 192.168.1.1, and the gateway to 192.168.1.1

Typed "ifconfig" to see the network settings that you just set to see if it took.

Then, typed "ping 192.168.1.1" and see if you get any traffic back....

Lauren
Old 05-23-2006, 06:54 AM
Sage Advanced User

This problem was caused by the firewall on the clark connect router. I had port forwarded as needed but still wasn't getting it to work. I pulled to router and used a wrt54g since then and have had no further issues.