SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 02-15-2006, 09:54 PM
Sage User

Sage Client on Windows MCE Computer

Can I run the Sage Client on a Windows MCE pc without any special tweaks? My Sage Server is in the basement, and currently serves 5 MVP clients in the bedrooms and office, and a computer-based client in the family room. I would like to try Windows MCE on a new (quieter audio rack-style) computer in the family room, but I also want to install and run the Sage client on the family room computer to access my Sage recordings. Initially (depending on how much we like/dislike MCE), I plan to use the tuners in the family pc (one hi-def OTA and one analog through cable) only to record through Windows MCE. Can I do that?
Old 02-15-2006, 10:15 PM
SageTVaholic

Should be able to, the only real "incompatibility" between Sage and MCE is that they can fight over tuners (if the MCE services are running), but since Client doesn't use any tuners directly, I can't see a problem.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:18 AM
Sage User

No problems

I installed Sage client as a trial on my WinMCE computer last night with no problems or tweaks at all.

I had the Media Centre app shut down when I started Sage Client and all worked well. Not sure what would happen if Media Centre is running, but as the recording process is seperate from the Media Centre app I can't see there being any conflicts even if a Media Centre sceduled recording needs to start in the middle of a Sage Client session. Media Centre will use its tuners in the PC, and Sage Client will always use the tuners in the Sage server.

You wont be able to play Windows Media Centre recording through Sage as Media Centre saves them in a windows propriatery MS-DVR file format. You should be able to play Sage recording through Media Centre though.

I was planning to ditch WinMCE in favour of Sage and wanted to "test drive" Sage before recycling the WinMCE computer components. So far so good!

Andrew.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:32 AM
Sage User

Thanks guys -- I am looking forward to trying it out.
Old 02-16-2006, 04:29 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
You wont be able to play Windows Media Centre recording through Sage as Media Centre saves them in a windows propriatery MS-DVR file format. You should be able to play Sage recording through Media Centre though.
You can if you use a custom STV that utilizes external media player capabilities.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:58 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd_maniac
You can if you use a custom STV that utilizes external media player capabilities.
That would be cool... Do you know what STVs do this ? I have 30GB or so of stuff recorded with WinMCE. I was going to transcode them to mpg with a converter app I found, but if I can use an STV to do the job on the fly, that would save a lot of work.