SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-17-2006, 11:37 AM
Sage Advanced User

Feature Request: Zoom format additions

Right now SageTV currently has 3 zoom formats: source, 4x3, and 16x9. I was wondering if it would be possible to add some more formats to this list.

My panasonic widescreen has a "zoom" option, that zooms in on a 4x3 picture, cutting off the top and bottom, and making it a 16x9 picture. For example when a channel transmits a 16x9 image inside a 4x3 image. For instance, Smallville on the WB. Hopefully this picture describes it better:

Basically, it zooms in on to blue part, allowing the show to be watched full screen in 16x9 ratio without any stretching and without losing any of the image. This zoom option would also work great when watching a widescreen DVD within SageTV.

Another format that my panasonic has is called "justified". This option stretches the 4x3 images to the 16x9 format, however it is not a linear stretch. It's best described as a parabolic stretch. The middle of the image is stretched minimally, and the amount of stretch increases toward the edge of the screen.

You would be surprised how much less distortion this causes when watching a 4x3 source stretched to a 16x9 ratio.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:29 PM
SageTVaholic

First, I'd like to note that I'd love to see more zoom/AR options , especially support for non-square pixels, but alas...

I can help you though, you can do most of what you want right now with what's available.

For the record there are 4 modes, Source (which basically picks 4x3 or 16x9 based on flags in the content), 4x3, 16x9, and Fill. I find that for 90% of things, source works perfect. Now for the 16x9 letterbox shows, there's a simple solution:
Change the zoom settings for the 16x9 mode to 133% (approximately, you'll have to play to get it just right) vertical zoom. This will stretch the image to fit a 16x9 area, and will stretch extra vertically, effectively cropping the bars off the picture.

As for non-linear stretch, no such luck (there are ways with ffdshow though), if you want it, email support and request it
Old 02-17-2006, 01:54 PM
SageTVaholic

see also:
http://www.sage-community.org/index....i/AspectRatios -- The example config is what I use on my system. I am lucky in that the majority of shows I watch are 16x9.,
and
http://www.sage-community.org/index....duleAutoAspect
Old 02-26-2006, 05:36 AM
Sage Aficionado

The plugin is a nice start, but I think a couple of different stretch options should be added into Sage for handling 4x3 content on a 16x9 screen. A straight linear zoom to completely fill the screen takes away a little too much real estate from the content IMO.

My Dishnet 211 receiver has an option which I like... it is called partial zoom. It is a combination zoom/stretch. So, it zooms it part way so that about half as much of the top and bottom are cut off as in a full zoom, and then stretches it horizontally to fill the screen. This looks a lot better than a full zoom and you don't have as many scenes where someones face gets cropped in the middle of their forehead and the "fatness" of a full linear stretch isn't as obvious.

I also like the non-linear stretch modes that are offered on most modern TV's, but the fishbowl effect is distracting to some people.

I think a partial zoom with a non-linear stretch would be the best of both worlds and would be a great option that I haven't seen anywhere else.

If we could have a few different options for zoom/stretch modes in combination with the AR plugin, that would make the viewing experience soooo much better.

Last edited by grooves12; 02-26-2006 at 05:39 AM.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:44 AM
SageTVaholic

Partial zoom would be realy easy with the current options, just set 16x9 to something like 116% Vertical Zoom, 100% Horizontal.