SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 02-18-2006, 12:40 AM
Sage Advanced User

Exclamation Hard drive size with Sage

I'm placing my order soon for my parts but I'm still stuck on what size drive would be best.

I don't want it to be too small is 300GB good enough?
Old 02-18-2006, 01:14 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
Unless your recording alot of HD content, or storing entire seasons of shows or movies, you should be just fine with 300GB
Old 02-18-2006, 06:32 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruWRX
I'm placing my order soon for my parts but I'm still stuck on what size drive would be best.

I don't want it to be too small is 300GB good enough?
300 x 2 and you will be a happy camper
Old 02-18-2006, 09:48 AM
Sage Aficionado

To paraphrase, you can never have enough hard drive space. Get the biggest one you can afford and prepare for future expansion. These PVR's are addictive. I've got 600 gb with only about 150 gb free, and I'm only talking about TV shows. If you start talking about ripping DVD's, start thinking about NAS. I've always wondered if Sage wasn't really owned by Seagate or Maxtor !!

Ken C
Old 02-18-2006, 10:09 AM
Sage Advanced User

My issue is running out of Space... Like I'm doing the Olympics and I had to stop short I'm hoping I can get the HTPC running before the closing Like Just the opening was some 10 or 15GB at 3500GB per hour File so Large I can't find a way to put it on DVD after getting the file size down.

I'm not that Huge of a Tv watcher, but some shows like th Olympics come on while i'm in class.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:07 AM
Sage Fanatic

What is big enough for you may not be big enough for someone else. It all depends how much you record. It also matters if you plan on archiving shows or deleting them after you've watched them. My suggestion would be to go with 1 for now and when you start running out of space then add another. By the time you need another you may even be able to get a 500gb for what you pay for that 300gb today.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:19 AM
Sage Advanced User

lol Funny thing is I will be buying 2 500GB drives for my Main PC.. Reason is I'm running 4 hard drives in one Case, and the temps get pretty warm. The largest of the 4 is 160GB and after that is 40GB.

So if I can move 4 into 2 that would be great. Most in part I play games and do Video Editing.

However the HTPC is not going to be so much the same, Smaller Space in a SSF format, So space is a issue as well as cooling

But right now I'm looking at a 300GB now.

going into this case.