SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-20-2006, 01:21 AM
Sage Icon

Question Sage Storage Usage Question ...

OK ... Let's say ...

You have a Server the family shares in the Family room ... Then you have a son who wants to record everything and never delete it, then watchit from his client ...

I know, I am alone with this problem ...

Was wondering ... Is there a way to set aside some storage ... say partition 50 gig for use only with certain recordings ... thus his shows would go there and he would have to manage (watch / delte) them and they would not encroach on the space avialable for everyone else's shows??

If so, how would you set this up in Sage ... ?

Thanks ... T.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:36 AM
Sage Expert

Nope you are not alone, though I have no children. I think many people have similar situations and not a single PVR product really addresses it (not Tivo, not MCE, etc). Anyway, what I did was to use another box. I know, its not what you want but there is no support for users in Sage so there is no way to designate a set of favorites for different users (or to quota a user). I bought another SageTV and installed it on a client, so I have two Sage servers running on my network. Then I have client licenses for every computer and use the -connect <server> (that may not be the exact syntax, I know Opus will correct it if its wrong) argument via a Meedio command module to launch the client and connect to the desired server. After I had set this up, I later discovered that you can also use the -connect <server> argument with sagetv's gui to connect to another Sagetv whie the service would still record stuff independantly of the gui. Would've saved me the cost of another client license if I knew ahead of time, but I like the way it is setup with both sagetv and sage client on the same box so I don't mind the extra expense.

For you, you might be able to hack a way to run two instances of Sagetv on the same box using a virtual IP addresses to assign each sagetv installation a different IP (or, more likely, different Windows machine names). I am not expert enough to give instructions on how to do that, but I think it is possible. I know its possible with MS's virtual server software but that is a pain in the butt, there must be an easier way. Alternatively, there might be a way to designate a quota for archived recordings and tell your son to archive everything he wants to keep.

Last edited by silkshadow; 02-20-2006 at 06:52 AM.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:05 AM
SageTVaholic

Wouldn't the "Keep at most"/auto delete settings deal with that?
Old 02-20-2006, 09:00 AM
Sage Icon

With the new Sage versions, you have the ability to make a network encoder use it's own local storage for recordings. Just stick a PVR board in his PC, run it as a network encoder, adjust that particular tuner's channels to be the only ones in the house that have the channels he watches, then limit it to record to his local drive. His shows would still show up in the main list, and play from any PC, but it's limited ot his storage only.

(The main trick would be to bascially remove the channels he records from from the main system's channels on the PVR boards that you're using. Might require you to use a nearby town's channel lineup, so you can just let him have the channels he wants to record from). I use something similar on my HD firewire tuner, so it won't record anything SD (since it sort of letterboxes it on our SD tv's, don't want the image any smaller than it has to be). I just don't limit it to recording to a specific drive/directory for storage.

(This would still require a 2nd license of SageTV server, since that's how you'd have to set up the network encoder)
Old 02-20-2006, 11:55 AM
Sage Icon

I saw the Hauppauge PVR USBs for $89 this weekend.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by heffe2001
With the new Sage versions, you have the ability to make a network encoder use it's own local storage for recordings. Just stick a PVR board in his PC, run it as a network encoder, adjust that particular tuner's channels to be the only ones in the house that have the channels he watches, then limit it to record to his local drive. His shows would still show up in the main list, and play from any PC, but it's limited ot his storage only.
It's not entirely clear if that will actually limit the space though, according to Jeff, Sage will use it's "intelligence" to deal with that, meaning it may be more of a priority thing.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:16 PM
Sage Advanced User

What property to set network recorder to record locally

Quote:
Originally Posted by heffe2001

(The main trick would be to bascially remove the channels he records from from the main system's channels on the PVR boards that you're using. Might require you to use a nearby town's channel lineup, so you can just let him have the channels he wants to record from). I use something similar on my HD firewire tuner, so it won't record anything SD (since it sort of letterboxes it on our SD tv's, don't want the image any smaller than it has to be). I just don't limit it to recording to a specific drive/directory for storage.

(This would still require a 2nd license of SageTV server, since that's how you'd have to set up the network encoder)
Can't seem to find this but remember seeing it discussed: what property needs to be set to get network recorder to store files on local (Client) pc?

Thanks, Randy

HD-200 extender, 37 in. lcd tv (HDMI)