SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 02-21-2006, 12:19 AM
Sage Icon

Tweaked STV - How do you upgrade?

Since I have tweaked many little things in my 4.1.6 STV, I don't not want to loose them.

Is there and negative effects if I use this old STV with 4.1.7?

I do not care for placeshifting, so none of that really matters to me.

Also, it seems that this is going to continue to be a pain in the butt as newer versions are released. Is there an easy way to handle this?
Old 02-21-2006, 01:01 AM
Sage Icon

As far as I know there is only two ways to handle this. Keep replicating your tweaks over and over for each new change in the default STV or spend the time learning how to make proper STVi imports. Even then you would still have to upgrade your imports for many of the default STV changes.

If anyone has any better ideas, I'd like to hear them as much as Wheemer but I have a feeling this is really a core architecture issue.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:05 AM
SageTVaholic

I assume you've saved your changes to a separate file, and still have a copy of the standard 4.1.6 STV.

If so, you can use Studio's STV File Difference command in one of two ways:

1. Compare your customized STV with 4.1.6, and redo those changes to the 4.1.7 STV.

2. Compare 4.1.7 to 4.1.6, and apply those changes to your custom STV.

It helps a lot if you can do the compare on one machine and the editing on another. (This used to be a lot easier before they killed -multi. Grumble.)

It's still a manual process, but not as bad as having to remember everything you did. Plus you can try the compare both ways and choose to redo whichever set of changes is smaller.

Another approach, if you're comfortable with CVS or some other versioning tool, would be to set up a repository for the standard STV, and keep your custom changes as a local revision relative to that. Then you could use the diff/merge features of your versioning software to reapply your local changes automatically. In principle there's no reason why this shouldn't work, but I haven't actually tried it myself.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:06 AM
Sage Icon

Yeah, I'm sure you are right sleonard...

But I have no problem using the older STV. But am I missing anything, that's the real question.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:05 AM
Sage Fanatic

If you read through the release notes you'll see the updates are devided into different sections. (Core Updates, Media Extender Updates, Studio Updates, and STV Updates) So if you update and used an STV file based on the previous release you should get pretty much everything but what listed in the STV Updates.