SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-22-2006, 12:07 PM
Sage User

ASF and WMV files will not playback over network

Howdy all,

I posted in another topic (see "Problem with importing ASF files") about my issues with ASF files. I have been able to solve that problem. But now I am having a somewhat larger issue. Although the files will import just fine now, the video files will not play through the clients.

We have our one server. If you try to play the files on that server, they run fine. But if you try and play it through a client, you get this error:

sage.playbackexception: ERROR (-4,0x80040218) (I cannot type out the rest as I'm having to do it from memory)

I'm assuming it's got something to do with my video encoders. The video will play fine if you play it as a local file, but they will not play over the network.

I'm also noticing in my System Information this line:

media player asf plugin class: none

Could that have anything to do with it?

Any help is appreciated.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:13 PM
Sage User

Its me again. Might want to check and make sure you have an MPEG2 decoder installed on the client. Have you tried different decoders on your client? If you're not sure what you have installed you can always download and install this:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
Old 02-22-2006, 06:33 PM
Sage Icon

Windows media player should play ASF files fine, even across network.
I had a similair problem with ASP .mp4 files playing fine on the Sage server but not on Sage clients. My workaround was to use a custom STV that allows external video players. Now I use Zoomplayer to play my asf, mp4 and other obscure media files on my clients.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:31 PM
Administrator

A guess, but I'm wondering whether those file types just can't be streamed through the SageTV server. Perhaps try changing the import dir to use a UNC path & make sure the client has permission to access the location. If you use a UNC path & the client can get to the file directly, it will try to play it by itself rather than streaming the data through the server.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:24 PM
Sage User

Thanks for sticking with me Garcia. I checked the decoders, and they were working properly. I could "stream" mpeg files over the network just fine. But WMV or ASF files didn't play nice.

Dvd_maniac, thanks for the info on custom STV's, could you possibly link me to a doc or post so I could get some information?

Opus, you rock. That solution works perfectly. Here's my question, I read alot of things about using UNC's in SageTV, will this cause any issues that I should be aware of?

Thanks for all your help guys, you're great.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurgin
Here's my question, I read alot of things about using UNC's in SageTV, will this cause any issues that I should be aware of?
I don't think so... other than if you are using service mode for the server -- then the service will have to be logged in as a user w/a password, or else it can't access UNC paths.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:15 PM
Sage User

And we're using service mode. At least in our test mode we are. Thanks for pointing that out. We'll have to tweak that. Thanks!
Old 09-23-2006, 12:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
I don't think so... other than if you are using service mode for the server -- then the service will have to be logged in as a user w/a password, or else it can't access UNC paths.

- Andy
Is this still true? I reinstalled my system using unc paths this time. I haven't noticed an issue with recording, etc. I am logged on as localsystem using 5.0.4 and java 1.4.2_12.

TIA

B
Old 11-08-2007, 10:37 AM
Sage Icon

Your shares are probably world writeable then. If you lock them down to specific users you'll need to make the service run with a user account.