SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 02-22-2006, 07:53 PM
Sage Aficionado

Norton Ghost 10.0 what gives?

I just installed Norton Ghost 10.0 on my HTPC. My system is configured to about 95% and stable. I wanted a backup in case I changed something and had to revert back. The Ghost and .net framework install totally screwed up my system. After installing ghost STV will not load, CPU usage goes to 100% and stays there. I get a blank screen with STV trying to load in the background I think, and the processor running at 100%. I removed Ghost and all is good. Is there some conflict with STV and Ghost?

Central Sage Server Win 10 64 Bit, Two HD200, Three HD300, & One PC Client 21 TB storage. SageTv 64 Bit
Old 02-22-2006, 08:03 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve52
I just installed Norton Ghost 10.0 on my HTPC. My system is configured to about 95% and stable. I wanted a backup in case I changed something and had to revert back. The Ghost and .net framework install totally screwed up my system. After installing ghost STV will not load, CPU usage goes to 100% and stays there. I get a blank screen with STV trying to load in the background I think, and the processor running at 100%. I removed Ghost and all is good. Is there some conflict with STV and Ghost?
I can't help on Ghost. I can tell you I shy away from it because of those types of things (Really Symantec products in general). You might want to check out Acronis, I use it on my Sage box.

B
Old 02-22-2006, 09:35 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via AIM to AboveUnrefined Send a message via MSN to AboveUnrefined
Use ghost in DOS via a bootdisk of some kind to do image backups of drives to avoid these problems.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:11 AM
Sage Expert

I too have found Symantec products to be overly invasive to the point of breaking things or a constant drag on resources.

I use Acronis for backing up to DVD-RW disks and has worked well for me; and no .NET needed.

DFA
Old 02-23-2006, 07:23 AM
Sage Advanced User

I'll have to echo the Acronis endorsement. You can even buy a fully licensed (download) copy from newegg for quite a large discount over retail. True Image has saved my bacon three times, since my laptop seems to destroy hard drives on a regular basis. I've never lost a single byte of data, except the one time I hadn't let the incremental backup run for a week.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:32 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFA
I too have found Symantec products to be overly invasive to the point of breaking things or a constant drag on resources.

I use Acronis for backing up to DVD-RW disks and has worked well for me; and no .NET needed.
Funny, I have the same problem with Mcafee products dragging my systems down.

And Symantec's drag-factor really doesn't have anything to do with .NET IMHO. .NET is not really any different than running something that uses Java. Their products have been a "drag on resources" long before .NET came into the picture.

I have several programs that use .NET on my system (to include the ATI Radeon drivers configuration), and no problems to speak of.

That all being said, I too will put in an endorsement for Acronis True Image.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:42 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by AboveUnrefined
Use ghost in DOS via a bootdisk of some kind to do image backups of drives to avoid these problems.
I would like to be able to get some use out of this product since I have already purchased it. Can you give me some help as to how I would do what you suggest? I have my operating system on a seperate hard drive from the video files, so what I need is to be able to backup and have some plan for restoring everything on my C:/ drive which would be all of Windows and STV. It is about 3 GB of data I think on a 40GB drive. I don't use the drive for anything else.

Central Sage Server Win 10 64 Bit, Two HD200, Three HD300, & One PC Client 21 TB storage. SageTv 64 Bit
Old 02-23-2006, 09:45 AM
Sage User

I would recommend using it in DOS mode as the earlier user suggested. I use Ghost Corporate to make images of all my systems in that mode and there is no interference at all. Nothing actually instals on the client side. You will have to read the docs and figure out how to do what you want I.E. network image DVD / CD image etc.

Good luck,

John
Old 02-23-2006, 09:57 AM
Sage Aficionado

Not to vear from the topic .. but I have Ghost and TrueImage... If someone can tell me a way to move a system partition to another drive (not all partitions on the drive) in TrueImage, I would ditch Ghost in a heartbeat.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:16 AM
SageTVaholic

I've been using Ghost 2003 without any problems on both of my Sage systems.

http://ghost.radified.com/

According to this site, the Ghost 10 includes a copy of the older, less intrusive, more reliable Ghost 2003 so maybe you should try that.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:52 AM
Sage Icon

try to get your money back on Ghost.
I switched to Acronis TruImage a year ago and it's flawless and they have great tech support.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:10 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevech
try to get your money back on Ghost.
I switched to Acronis TruImage a year ago and it's flawless and they have great tech support.
Unfortunately I purchased it from an EBAY seller. I usually check things out pretty good before I buy. I read many good comments about Norton Ghost on the AVS forum before I bought it. I guess all those users were using an older version and not 10.0. I have not seen any software this bad. Notron Ghost does not even have to be running to completely ruin your HTPC. Just having it installed will keep STV from loading, and lock up your computer where ctl/alt/del is your only option.

Old 02-23-2006, 12:28 PM
Sage Icon

time to list Ghost on eBay!
Old 02-23-2006, 01:25 PM
Sage Advanced User

I would recommend Image from the guys who make BootItNG:

http://www.bootitng.com/imagew.html

I've used pretty much all the other tools out there, and if you haven't used their stuff before - it's great, hands down. They usually have a deal where you can get both BootItNG and Image for like $70; while you may not want to use the multi-boot part of BootIt, it also has a great partition manager that can resize NTFS partitions for you, which also has come in handy for me on many occasions.

What I typically do is make a hidden partition on my system that's like 4 or 5 gigs, and just boot into DOS and image to it, when I have a clean system, a working config'd one, whatever.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:35 PM
Sage User

I was a long-time user of Ghost without any significant issues until I upgraded to 10.0 version (don't ask me why..). Anyway, after installation, I could not even make the first backup. The whole system would hang and become totally unresponsive to a point where I had to turn system off physically. I had multiple installation of 9.0 and 2003 versions without any problem. But, 10.0 seems buggy.

Anyway, I did the switch to Arconis Truge Image and could not be happier. Feature rich and MUCH faster than Ghost 10.0.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:48 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by shhas
I was a long-time user of Ghost without any significant issues until I upgraded to 10.0 version (don't ask me why..). Anyway, after installation, I could not even make the first backup. The whole system would hang and become totally unresponsive to a point where I had to turn system off physically. I had multiple installation of 9.0 and 2003 versions without any problem. But, 10.0 seems buggy.

Anyway, I did the switch to Arconis Truge Image and could not be happier. Feature rich and MUCH faster than Ghost 10.0.
Today I decided to try the old Ghost 2003 since I already have a license for Ghost, I am trying to understand the best way to run it now. If I had it to do over again I would buy Arconos; however if you look long enough on the internet you will find people who do not like this program either. I did a lot of research today on this. Some say there have been no good backup programs in the last couple of years because of the way they have changed them. I don't have a burner in my HTPC so I will either have to backup to the same c: drive or over my LAN to another computer. Not sure of the best way to do it with Ghost 2003 or if even the LAN option is possible.

Old 02-24-2006, 08:23 PM
Sage Advanced User

I am in the biz (repair computers for a living) and the word is do not use any ghost past 8.0 (what I use). The company was sold and since 8.0 has been screwed up.

Also a tip. If trying to Ghost HD to another HD. Do Disk>To Image and Then Image>To Disk. Trying to go from Disk to Disk causes problems.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:28 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb
I am in the biz (repair computers for a living) and the word is do not use any ghost past 8.0 (what I use). The company was sold and since 8.0 has been screwed up.

Also a tip. If trying to Ghost HD to another HD. Do Disk>To Image and Then Image>To Disk. Trying to go from Disk to Disk causes problems.
Just curious. Is 8 and 2003 the same version?

Old 02-24-2006, 08:47 PM
Sage Advanced User

Don't think so. My copies only say Ghost 8. Did a quick Google and shows Symantec Ghost 8.0 and Norton Ghost 2003 as 2 seperate products.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:14 AM
Sage User

don't despair, 2003 works fine, as does 9.0 and 8.0 and under.... 10.0 is another story... 8.0 was the last of the true "Ghost" products, I believe, and 9.0 was a rebadge of PowerQuest's product.... the advantage being it will do live backups of the boot partition from within windows, and yes, it DOES work... I use it all the time... I used 2003 for a while, and I believe it's just a varient of the 8.0 product.... had no issues.... and unlike NAV, ghost does not load down your system apreciably, though I can't speak for 10.0...