SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 02-24-2006, 02:18 PM

MediaPortal Themes

Could someone please explain to me why this page contains copies of skins which have been blatently ripped off from MediaPortal?

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/down...?do=file&id=36

How can I tell they're blatent rip offs? THE MEDIAPORTAL LOGO IS STILL ON THEM!!!!!

Last edited by Khris; 02-24-2006 at 02:34 PM.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:23 PM
Sage Icon

Uhh, this was a user contributed skin, not an official SageTV skin. Also, see the release post: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10715

Quote:
The images included were all done by the MediaPortal guys. Want to thank in particular Samsonite and Elow. If either of you guys don't want your work used for this purpose just let me know and I will yank it. I don't want to mess up anything you guys are tyring to do.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:26 PM

I understand that it's a user submitted skin......however the MediaPortal logo has been left on the skins!! Pretty lame!
Old 02-24-2006, 02:27 PM
Sage User

Maybe you would be better off asking the person who created the STV, are the skins under copy right?
Old 02-24-2006, 02:31 PM
Sage Icon

Khris, Mlbdude fully acknowleges that he didn't create the images. What is the point of removing the logo? To me, that would look like he's trying to hide something, which he is not.

Do you represent the MediaPortal project? If not, move on, you're not proving anything.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJake
What is the point of removing the logo?
So I guess Microsoft won't mind if I start putting their Logo on whatever I want too right?
Old 02-24-2006, 02:36 PM
Sage Icon

Khris, the MediaPortal Project is Open Source, released under the GNU/GPL license. Mlbdude can do whatever he wants with those images so long as he isn't trying to take credit for them. He is not, so there is nothing wrong with it.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:38 PM
Sage Advanced User

OMG HAX0R!!! sage totally has ripped off microsoft! one of the main menu selections is called "Media Center"... and MS makes "Media Center Edition"!!! blatant! I'm going to tell my mom!
Old 02-24-2006, 02:49 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to teknubic Send a message via AIM to teknubic Send a message via MSN to teknubic Send a message via Yahoo to teknubic
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageTV Forum Rules
5. Spam, advertising, and troll posts will be deleted. (An interesting commentary on trolls can be found here.) Please do not argue with such posts. "For Sale" type posts will also be removed.
IB4TD
Old 02-24-2006, 03:58 PM
Sage Icon

If you'd actually look at the forums, you'd notice that people have always said that they would take it down if the theme designers wanted them to.

Plus, like KJake said, they are GPL'd, there's not a whole lot to argue about.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:26 PM
Sage Icon

Besides Samsonite, who is the creator of most of those themes, has already given us explicit permission to use them.

So don't worry about things that are not your concern, Khris.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:42 PM
Sage Fanatic

Seems to me that Khris just found out that a better app then Media Portal existed and was mad that he'd have to pay to use it! I've tried Media Portal (not recently though) and it sucked. Aside from crashing all the time, you had to open a different app to configure stuff.

I did see another post that he made trying to say that MP was the best PVR app. Free doesn't equal best - in fact it's probably not even in the top 10 (including linux apps).
Old 02-24-2006, 04:47 PM

The MP logo is there for many reasons. 1. It looks cool. 2. I in no way claim to have made the images and that makes it obvious. 3. The MediaPortal project, developers, and contributers deserve all the PR they can get for all the hard work that goes into it.

Don't forget the check out the SageMC16x9 Wiki if you have any configuration or general usage questions. New content is being added all the time!
Old 02-26-2006, 08:00 AM
Sage User

Yeah. I'm a big fan of the Media Portal project. I've always considered the Blue 2 MP skin to be far superior to any SageTV skin. I also highly prefer MP as a media center.

I highly prefer SageTV for PVR and especially ATSC support. I love the MP based Sage skins because they really help the WAF because she prefers MP too. I freely admit that as soon as MP gets the PVR aspect for ATSC to a point where I can use it as intuitively and easily as Sage, then I will probably migrate over to MP exclusively. Until then, I have no problem with the money I spent to purchase SageTV's fine product.

I am active in the MP community and am a member of the testing team for ATSC for the MP project with different ATSC cards. I do not have a problem with the MP themed skins. Imitiation is the sincerest form of flattery and all that...

Software: XP Pro SP2; SageTV 4; nVidia Video Decoder; nVidia Audio Decoder
Old 02-26-2006, 03:32 PM
Sage Aficionado

I wouldn't give Khris too much "air play."

It looks like this "member" has signed up to harass ppl about mediaportal.

Khris you need to move on!

Last edited by DynamoBen; 02-26-2006 at 03:34 PM.