SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Studio
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Studio Discussion related to the SageTV Studio application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the Studio software application should be posted here.

Old 03-03-2006, 07:35 AM
SageTVaholic

Start SageTV with java debugger enabled ?

Is there a way to pass in java options (e.g. -Xdebug etc.) to the virtual machine running the SageTV client ? I would like to debug custom java code that I call from the STV by attaching a debugger to the SageTV JVM...

Is this possible ?

Thanks,
Dirk
Old 03-05-2006, 09:49 AM
SageTVaholic

Anyone ?

Maybe some advice from the 'creators' ?

Thanks,

Dirk
Old 03-05-2006, 12:05 PM
SageTVaholic

I don't know the answer, but what I do for debugging is to enable the console window in the registry and sprinkle my Java code with a lot of calls to DebugLog. That's usually enough to follow the flow of execution and see where things are going wrong.

The registry setting I'm talking about (if you don't know already) is at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Frey Technologies\Common. Create a DWORD called "consolewin" and set it to 1 to display the debugging console when Sage starts up.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:32 PM
SageTVaholic

System.out is also sent to the console/logfile... easier than calling a Sage API func...
Old 03-05-2006, 01:46 PM
Sage

There's no way to enable the debugger in the JVM itself for SageTV (and we won't be changing this for various reasons). You can use the methods that others have brought up here.
Old 03-05-2006, 02:31 PM
SageTVaholic

I already use the debug logging extensively, and was aware about the console window thanks to a prior hint from Niel. It's just that debug logging is often missing at exactly the place in the code you would need it , and running it through a powerful yet easy-to-use debugger like the Eclipse one would sometimes be quicker than going through possibly multiple recompile cycles.

But thanks Jeffrey for the clarification, and I fully understand the reasoning. I have no problem with using the 'printf' technique, I just thought I ask in case it would be indeed possible somehow.

Thanks to everyone,

Dirk