SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 01-08-2007, 07:13 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby
I doubt it. Besides, who cares? There are no shortage of current satellite boxes that can be modified, so who cares if one comes out in a year with a firewire port?
What if they stopped activating the non-firewired boxes? I don't think such a thing is likely, and considering Dtv is supposed to be coming out with a Vista PC receiver, they obviously arn't worried about direct capture. I'm curious what sort of restrictions there will be though, assuming its not just vaporware.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:43 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelofDeth
What if they stopped activating the non-firewired boxes? I don't think such a thing is likely, and considering Dtv is supposed to be coming out with a Vista PC receiver, they obviously arn't worried about direct capture. I'm curious what sort of restrictions there will be though, assuming its not just vaporware.
If the device has a USB or any kind of digital interface then the providers can force a firmware update to make it 5C.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:54 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy99
If the device has a USB or any kind of digital interface then the providers can force a firmware update to make it 5C.
I dont think thats correct. Only if the device has 5C/DTCP circuitry built in is that possible. The existance of a USB port does not in any way mean that the necessary IC's are in the unit to support 5C/DTCP.

And furthermore, the R5000 USB port is not a normal USB port. I know of no way to disable it from the provider side of things, given how it works.

To be honest, all this is getting a bit off topic in regards to the R5000 modification and its integration with Sage. Its a non issue.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:21 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
To be honest, all this is getting a bit off topic in regards to the R5000 modification and its integration with Sage.
What he said. There are other active threads (including the one roxy linked) where you can debate the politics of DRM.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:34 AM
SageTVaholic

Back on topic, in light of DirecTV's announcement of 100 National HD channels coming in 2007, is there an R5000 option (ie a modable DTV box) that's fully "capable" with DirecTV (ie gets the new sats/MPEG-4)?
Old 01-09-2007, 08:39 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
Back on topic, in light of DirecTV's announcement of 100 National HD channels coming in 2007, is there an R5000 option (ie a modable DTV box) that's fully "capable" with DirecTV (ie gets the new sats/MPEG-4)?
Not at this time. There is an issue with DirecTV MPEG-4 modification. I get the feeling from my conversations that its not a physical issue, but maybe more of some sort of legal issue. But I dont really know.

Keep in mind, most of the channels that D* talked about in their press release dont exist, in fact some of the stations mentioned were shocked to even hear their name (i.e. Sci Fi). D* has pushed back their satellite launch until late summer from what I heard also, so there wont be any new HD launches from them til fall at least I would guess.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:53 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Not at this time. There is an issue with DirecTV MPEG-4 modification. I get the feeling from my conversations that its not a physical issue, but maybe more of some sort of legal issue. But I dont really know.
That's kind of what I thought, since they're limited to "legacy" boxes. But it wasn't clear if the E86 (I think that's right) was fully "up to date".

Quote:
Keep in mind, most of the channels that D* talked about in their press release dont exist, in fact some of the stations mentioned were shocked to even hear their name (i.e. Sci Fi).
Yeah, almost the whole list on Engadget (asside from the ones I get on Dish) surprised me. My hope is that this (like HD DVD PRGs announcement of Onkyo/Meridian players) is simultaneously an anouncement of DirecTV's new lineup, as well as an anouncement of new networks adding HD channels.

And yeah, me moving would be contingent, basically on that list actually coming to pass. Otherwise there's no reason for me to switch.

Quote:
D* has pushed back their satellite launch until late summer from what I heard also, so there wont be any new HD launches from them til fall at least I would guess.
Like most things from CES, I'm eagerly awaiting the important, lacking, details.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:04 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
That's kind of what I thought, since they're limited to "legacy" boxes. But it wasn't clear if the E86 (I think that's right) was fully "up to date".
Yup, E86, E8, DTC-100, few other variants, all MPEG-2.

Quote:
Yeah, almost the whole list on Engadget (asside from the ones I get on Dish) surprised me. My hope is that this (like HD DVD PRGs announcement of Onkyo/Meridian players) is simultaneously an anouncement of DirecTV's new lineup, as well as an anouncement of new networks adding HD channels.
I think Dish still has the advantage, as they have from what I understand, 10 satellites to launch in the next 5 years at various oribital slots for the new DBS Expansion Band. Key locations include 110, 114.5, 119, 129 and 61.5. 32 addtional transponders at each of those locations, plus spot beaming, means lots more HD!

Quote:
And yeah, me moving would be contingent, basically on that list actually coming to pass. Otherwise there's no reason for me to switch.
At this point, I am sticking with Dish until something concrete happens just like you. It was laughable yesterday in the D* conference when they stated their HD was better looking than their competitors.

Quote:
Like most things from CES, I'm eagerly awaiting the important, lacking, details.
Yeah like that new HD extender!! I need one yesterday! Actually, if it works as advertised, bye bye HTPC too possibly.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:43 AM
Sage Expert

That article states DirecTV currently offers 49 channels in HD... where exactly are they coming up with that?? Are they counting every single FSN feed or something?
Old 01-09-2007, 09:59 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul
That article states DirecTV currently offers 49 channels in HD... where exactly are they coming up with that?? Are they counting every single FSN feed or something?
You have realize that right now, D* is in damage control mode. They have been losing customers to E* for months now, because they dont have as many HD channels, and this trend isnt likely to stop soon, especially with the delay in launch of their satellites that will supposedly offer all these new, vapor-ware HD channels.

Also keep in mind that D* wants to share bandwidth with E* to offer a single HD platform. When you look at it from the outside, its pretty apparent why they would want this.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:58 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Also keep in mind that D* wants to share bandwidth with E* to offer a single HD platform.
Sounds good but how would that even be possible. D* uses DSS, E* uses DVB-S2 turbo.

Thats what you get for not using standards.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:02 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Yeah like that new HD extender!! I need one yesterday! Actually, if it works as advertised, bye bye HTPC too possibly.
I hear ya.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:05 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul
Sounds good but how would that even be possible. D* uses DSS, E* uses DVB-S2 turbo.

Thats what you get for not using standards.
Trust me, they have a way. In fact, from what I was told by a E* senior tech before he left, it could be done very quickly (software flash). Whether that holds true for all new receivers out there I dont know, but I do know that the D* and E* mpeg 4 boxes are very similar inside

Last edited by Kirby; 01-09-2007 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:50 AM
Sage Expert

Interesting background. I'm learning alot. It seems like we might be off topic again though.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:28 PM
Sage Advanced User

Some other oddities and questions (posting here since I assume it's the R5000-HD gathering spot)... I'm using an E86 for DirecTV

Some of my HD local channels cause SageTVclient to crash. Anyone else ?

I typically edit and nullstrip my ts files (and save the strip info for later rejoining if a decoder ever requires that). I don't mind running some scripts to do this, but what are the requirements to retain all the original detailed information ? Edit, strip and rename back to the original file ? Is there a way to have the interface present detailed info on ts files ? I noticed an IMDB plug-in that might relieve the need to figure out how to remap ts files to movie information.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 01-12-2007, 10:27 PM
Sage Advanced User

Silly question...

Well, I received my modified cable box. Just wondering: am I supposed to get anything else apart from just the box? I ordered the SageTV software (obviously), which requires a software key, but I didn't receive the key. Since I ordered both at the same time, I was hoping that the key would be sent along with the box. So I am supposed to email them the serial number of the box that they had just finished modifying?

Also, which serial number am I supposed to send? There are a number of stickers that have numbers on them, including a green sticker that I don't recall being there when I sent in the box. Is that the serial number that I am supposed to send in?

I know these are basic questions. I emailed nextcomm and hoping that they respond quickly. I really want to get this set up before the season premiere of 24.
Old 01-13-2007, 03:06 AM
SageTVaholic

When they shipped the STB back to you, they would have sent you an email with the license key and the UPS tracking number. Check your spam bucket to make sure it didn't get eaten.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:36 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyar15
Well, I received my modified cable box. Just wondering: am I supposed to get anything else apart from just the box? I ordered the SageTV software (obviously), which requires a software key, but I didn't receive the key. Since I ordered both at the same time, I was hoping that the key would be sent along with the box. So I am supposed to email them the serial number of the box that they had just finished modifying?
Ok, right up front, I don't wish to read 23 pages of posts to find the answer to this: ButThe above posts #456 and #457
threw me off big time.

Question:
Does the sage v6.19 I have installed now, work with the R5000 mod or do I have to buy new software and license key for a "R5000 version" of sagetv? The R5K site was not really clear to me on this.

Just bought a new dishnet vip211 ird in preparation of getting the R5K mod done, once I saved up 500 bucks without my wife noticing. I'm over my agreed too big boy toy budget.

Thanks to anyone kind enuff to answer

Last edited by Fluffdaddy; 01-13-2007 at 08:41 AM.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:39 PM
SageTVaholic

No, you don't need a special R5000 version of SageTV. The standard 6.0.19 release works just fine.

You do however need the special SageTV version of the R5000 software. This software makes the R5000 device appear as a network encoder to SageTV. Without this software, Sage can't see the device at all. This special version will cost you an extra $50 over the price of the R5000 hardware mod.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:35 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick
When they shipped the STB back to you, they would have sent you an email with the license key and the UPS tracking number. Check your spam bucket to make sure it didn't get eaten.
That's odd. Haven't received an email when it was shipped. My spam filter shouldn't have blocked it since I have received emails from them before I ordered.