SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 03-06-2006, 07:58 PM
Sage User

Media Extender Out of Stock

Hello,

After much reading and debate, I finally decided to get the SageTV Media Extender, only to find out that they're out of stock! I want to get the one from SageTV instead of getting the MVP + license - no sense in paying more when I can get the bundle, and I'm going to use it with SageTV anyway. Anyone know how long it usually takes for them to get these in stock? Is there another place online that I could get the bundle? I e-mailed asking them to notify me when they're in stock, but I'd like a ballpark date. I don't like uncertainty.

Thanks!
Xig
Old 03-06-2006, 08:13 PM
Sage Fanatic

It's out of their hands. There's a couple other threads like this - virtually everyone is sold out everywhere - not just SageTV. Best bet is contacting Hauppauge and finding out when they will start shipping them again. Another thread like this said that the MVP was being redesigned so that could explain the delay.

The other thing you can do is try some local radio shacks, it's hit or miss, but some radio shacks still have them and they are selling there for $39 each.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:35 PM
Sage User

But that doesn't help my need for instant gratification! I doubt my local Rat Shack has any, but I will check. The MVP's appear to be available at hauppauge.com - I can add it to my cart and begin checking out. I'd have to get the Sage license separately though. I guess I'll have to wait for a while. I just hope that the redesign doesn't come with a hefty price increase!

Xig
Old 03-06-2006, 10:58 PM
Sage User

I've been waiting about a month; Nice to see that Frey charged my credit card for the entire amount the day after I place the order...
Old 03-09-2006, 07:20 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlimon
I've been waiting about a month; Nice to see that Frey charged my credit card for the entire amount the day after I place the order...
AFAIK, this is illegal in the United States. Laws regarding mail order make it illegal to charge the credit card unless the item(s) will be shipped within 24 hours of the charge.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:25 PM
Sage Expert

No, it's not illegal, just not normally the way that companies in the U.S. do things...
Old 03-09-2006, 08:18 PM
Sage Advanced User

I do not know the exact wording of the law, but there is law(s) that protects the customer in long overdue orders. I use to work for a mail-order company where this was brought up multiple times. If an item is on back-order, a company has 30 days. After that amount of time they have to notify you of your options: wait longer, cancel order, or get your money back if you have been charged.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:53 PM
Sage Fanatic

I believe all that the 'law' states is that you have to be offered the opportunity for a refund if you aren't satisfied with the estimated time frame.

Next time I talk to my brother (an attorney) I'll ask him.

-PGPfan
Old 03-09-2006, 10:21 PM
Sage Icon

Regardless of what the law states, it is bad practice to charge without shipping.

You should contact Sage and get a refund, and possibly arrange for them to charge you if/when they get more stock.
Old 03-10-2006, 07:10 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGPfan
I believe all that the 'law' states is that you have to be offered the opportunity for a refund if you aren't satisfied with the estimated time frame.

Next time I talk to my brother (an attorney) I'll ask him.

-PGPfan

speaking as an attorney (general disclaimer: this does not constitute any legal advice on the part of myself...) you are correct--if a product is known to be on back-order and not available within the 'customary' shipping timeframe for that industry, the purchaser must be given the option to cancel order or extend date.

Then you get into the whole other area of companies putting 'holds' on your account for certain ammounts (i think 30 days is common but not sure on this).

JUC
Server: Athlon 2000XP; 1GB Kingston Ram; 250GB Seagate; 160GB Seagate; 160GB Western Digital; Lite-on DVD player; Hauppauge Rosyln; Hauppauge PVR-150; ATI AIW 7500; Actisys 200L; running stock v5 .stv

Client: MVP Extender running SageMC
Old 03-12-2006, 01:38 AM
Sage User

The "law" about not charging before shipping (or within 24 hours) is not a law but simply stardard policy that most every card service (Visa, Mastercard, etc.) asks that their merchants adhere to. I know that it is policy and not law because many custom order places like the one I program for ask that you agree to waive this "policy" (although this is also just good practice, not required) at the time of order because they will be _custom_ making a product for you. There are laws about what they can or can't do as far as backordering for extended periods as mentioned above.

Back on topic, I placed an order with Haug. about a week and half ago and they emailed me a few days later and said it would be a while. So I bought one on Ebay for $101 and it got here still new in box yesterday.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:50 AM
Sage User

Just to close out the thread; I've received my Media MVP yesterday and all is well. Incidentally, I had to use the Beta 4.1.11 as the server in order for the media extender to "see" the host. The 4.1.12 version didn't work. I'm a Happy Camper now!