SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Placeshifter
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Placeshifter Discussion related to the SageTV Placeshifter application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Placeshifter software application should be posted here.

Old 03-23-2006, 12:29 PM
Sage Advanced User

Well I've found that most of the carriers tech support staff are pretty clueless. The HTC jasjar/universal/kjam and a few others windows mobile 5 devices all have java. My sprint and verizon 6600's, 6700 and treo 700 didn't but it can be added. I see that slingbox has released their software for windows mobile devices, I think that sage would be much better at this especially with multiple tuners. I'm available to test if anyone needs me......
Old 03-23-2006, 02:01 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by that_kid
I see that slingbox has released their software for windows mobile devices, I think that sage would be much better at this especially with multiple tuners.
I just checked it out and it looks like SlingPlayer Mobile runs on Windows Mobile 2003, 2003 Smartphone Edition, or Windows Mobile 5 (instead of java). Looks like with all the flavors of mobile java out there this might be the best solution for windows mobile devices. I fully agree that Sage would do a better job than Slingbox, but its probably a much more complicated port to go from Java to Windows Mobile. Anyone know what it would take?
Old 03-23-2006, 02:54 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
http://mobilitytoday.com/news/006316...oday_video_003

Heres a link to a person demonstrating the Slingbox UI on the Treo 700w with Verizon and a crappy connection at the time. Not bad at all. I am impressed with the quality.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:41 PM
Sage Advanced User

I guess if we can get a standard java install that'll work on the various devices that would be a good start. I'm thinking that we can use Tcpmp to handle the streams from sage. What's funny is 4 years ago I was doing this with snapstream but I had to use a software card and you didn't have all the features of sage.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:52 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by that_kid
I'm thinking that we can use Tcpmp to handle the streams from sage.
Doesn't the Placeshifting Sage client use its own media player like Sage server does?
Old 05-01-2006, 04:57 PM
Sage Advanced User

Yes, I would REALLY like to see this. A friend of mine at work has the Verizon XV6700 pda with unlimited data, and uses Slingbox at home. I was telling him about placeshifting, and he replied "Well can it do this?" He pulled out his pda/phone, clicked the stylus a few times, and up came ESPN from his home cable box. Quality was awesome. It's not a pvr, it's purely a streamer, but it runs perfectly on a cell phone. If Sage could do this, it would be unstoppable. This is must-have functionality in my opinion, because there are competing technologies out there doing this already. Sage MUST do this to remain competitive in this space.....
Old 05-02-2006, 10:29 AM
Sage Aficionado

Smile TRUE placeshifting!

I have a slingbox as a stopgap measure, and its pretty cool but nothing would beat the sage ui directly on my cingular 8125 (htc wizard) windows mobile 2005 device!!

I know that not everyone thinks that this is the best way to spend precious development time, but think of it as advertising. When Slingbox released their winmobile 05 client, I even saw as story on CNN about it. I think that if Sage were the first software pvr/media center/blah blah blah to have a client to work on a mobile phone they could ride that to some free publicity and more paying users. What's good for Sage is good for us!!

Nick
Old 05-02-2006, 02:04 PM
Sage Advanced User

Think of it this way - how many people are wasting time doing this on their ipod? Either paying to download shows from iTunes (expensive), or grabbing them with a pvr and converting to ipod format (pain in the neck). If you could just stream Sage over your cell phone, that would absolutely, positively generate sales.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:45 AM
Sage Aficionado

Guys, i am sure Sage programmers are working on something and they will NOT reveal this to us. This is a must have especially since they can do client/placeshift. I am sure in about couple months we would have a beta version
Old 05-03-2006, 11:19 AM
SageTVaholic

Man, this sure would be nice to have!

***RIP SageTV***
Old 05-04-2006, 07:48 AM
Sage Advanced User

May I offer encouragement to anyone thinking about or actually implementing a client. I would love to see it on Java/Symbian based devices so when I get my hands on an Nokia E70 I can have it stream video from the PVR into the kitchen.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:43 PM
Sage User

Just chiming in...another Treo 700w user here who would love (a.k.a. pay) to see this!
Old 05-24-2006, 01:04 AM
Sage Advanced User

It can be done. Check out ORB.

But it if i could get this with a sage i/f that would make it easy. I buy to licenses , one for me and one for my wife. We have PPC-6700, if that matters.
-pez
Old 05-24-2006, 03:32 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via AIM to laurenglenn Send a message via MSN to laurenglenn
Quote:
Originally Posted by nspindel
Think of it this way - how many people are wasting time doing this on their ipod? Either paying to download shows from iTunes (expensive), or grabbing them with a pvr and converting to ipod format (pain in the neck). If you could just stream Sage over your cell phone, that would absolutely, positively generate sales.
1 ..... (me)

With Videora, you can set it to automatically convert all MPG files that Sage creates and convert them to MP4 for the iPod. (I've actually done it). In the morning, just add the MP4 folder to iTunes and it syncs to the iPod Video. No real work required.

The only bad thing is that you can't see it in real-time, of course, which streaming would be nice for. But since I don't have EVDO, I couldn't probably get good use out of the stream anyway.

Lauren
Old 05-24-2006, 04:34 PM
Sage Advanced User

Anyone know a programmer?

It looks like we all agree a mobile placeshifting client would be a big hit.
Narflex has already extended an invite to anyone willing to write a port for mobile devices. Do any of us know anyone that can write programming for mobile devices?
Old 05-25-2006, 04:14 PM
Sage Advanced User

I don't code but if someone at Sage needs a device to allow them to port the client over then I have one I can loan for that purpose.

I picked up a slingbox just to try it out, it's nice but no where near as nice as Sage. I'm going to return the slingbox and use that money to buy some placeshifting clients. Hopefiully we can get this mobile version going.

Last edited by that_kid; 05-25-2006 at 05:04 PM.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:42 AM
SageTVaholic

Does anybody know if there's ANY solution at all to make this work on ANY mobile device other than WinCR/PocketPC/Smartphone? Such as a PSP? Surely, there's gotta be something. Dragging a laptop around (even a relatively small one) isn't fesible for when I commute.

Maybe there's some kind of emulator/virtual machine I could install to fool the placeshifter client tbat it's running on WinXP or Linux.

***RIP SageTV***

Last edited by mkanet; 05-27-2006 at 03:08 PM.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:47 AM
Sage User

SlingBox is in beta as we ponder this.
See...

http://www.smartphonetoday.com/artic...-Media-to.html

If you have a registered SlingBox you can download the beta software for your Windows Mobile phone.
nVidia FX5200, AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 1Gb DDR 400, Windows XP Pro, PVR-150MCE. 160GB IDE, DL DVD +-RW, Snapstream, Girder 4.0.1, USB-UIRT, CrystalFonz 631 LCD
Toys:
MediaMVP, Roku 1000, SA HD PVR, ReplayTV, MediaServer (1Tb SATA drives), Gigabit Switch
Old 05-31-2006, 08:53 AM
Sage Advanced User

The Smartphone client is in beta, the windows mobile version has already been released.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:54 AM

Placeshifter is the balls

This client is great and works well. Granted you should expect problems over a corprorate VPN or firewall as ports are usually blocked, but on public connections mine works great.. so THANKS!

For those of you that don't want to pay the massive $30, get over it.. its new software, not the client, so you get what you pay for.

Lastly, I would love to see this on my Treo 650, or my future Windows Mobile device. Can't wait, but Im thirlled that I can pop open a TV when Im on the road - been waiting for this for a while!