SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Placeshifter
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Placeshifter Discussion related to the SageTV Placeshifter application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Placeshifter software application should be posted here.

Old 05-31-2006, 05:42 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via Yahoo to cmaffia
Shhh at work I sneak in on either port 443 or 1080

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklezt
This client is great and works well. Granted you should expect problems over a corprorate VPN or firewall as ports are usually blocked, but on public connections mine works great.. so THANKS!

For those of you that don't want to pay the massive $30, get over it.. its new software, not the client, so you get what you pay for.

Lastly, I would love to see this on my Treo 650, or my future Windows Mobile device. Can't wait, but Im thirlled that I can pop open a TV when Im on the road - been waiting for this for a while!
Server: Dual Tuner: PVR-150MCE/PVR-250MCE/SageTV v5.02/Asus Pundit-R 2.4GHZ/512MB DDR RAM/250 GB Maxtor HD (8MB Buffer) External Seagate 400GB HD via USB 2.0/Onboard ATI 9100 using SVIDEO TV-Out/Nvidia DVD decoder/Actisys 200L IR Blaster (Dish receiver) USBUIRT (DirectTV receiver)/Lite-On 4X DVD-R/RW/Windows XP Pro SP2/Adesso Mini IR Keyboard w/integrated mouse/Tivo "Peanut" Remote via USBUIRT/Dish Network Model 301/DirectTV subscriber/Webserver Plugin v2.8
Old 05-31-2006, 08:21 PM
Sage Aficionado

I would LOVE to see this on my Windows Mobile phone... I think this would be the killer app that would take Sage from great to phenomenal.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:26 PM
SageTVaholic

We should see this feature when the picture-in-picture feature is available.

***RIP SageTV***
Old 06-01-2006, 09:11 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet
We should see this feature when the picture-in-picture feature is available.

1 HDHomeRun
4TB Storage, GB Network
2 MVPs, 1 HD100 & 1 HD300
Old 06-03-2006, 03:12 PM
Sage Aficionado

Like has beenmentioned many times in other threads, the developers don't spend much if any time on these boards, so if you want to put in a feature suggestion, email it to them. I did, and if more and more of us do... it might get something started,
Old 06-03-2006, 04:36 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooves12
Like has beenmentioned many times in other threads, the developers don't spend much if any time on these boards, so if you want to put in a feature suggestion, email it to them. I did, and if more and more of us do... it might get something started,
If you have a look on the first page, Jeff himself added a comment.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:23 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex
If there's anybody seriously interested in writing a port, send me a PM.
I know someone who knows someone... what can you provide him? (SDK? DDK? Win32 Code?)

If I can get a good price on his time, maybe we could pass the hat and take up a collection? Who's up for chipping in to make this happen?
Old 06-06-2006, 04:28 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Bahama
I know someone who knows someone... what can you provide him? (SDK? DDK? Win32 Code?)
Did you PM Narflex?
Old 06-07-2006, 09:01 AM
Sage Aficionado

A neat extension of the "Placeshifter on PocketPC" idea would be a Placeshifter To Go implementation as well. I may not always have network connectivity via my PocketPC but it would be nice to indicate a subset of shows/favourites that I would like synched to my device and have Sage automatically transcode those shows as or after they are recorded to a folder somewhere. This folder would then be synched to my PocketPC at regular intervals (or whenever I happen to connect my PocketPC to my Sage Server). Thus, on the road, I could always tote around a subset of my favourites to watch whenever I got the chance using the familiar Sage UI (excepting Live TV capabilities when netwrok connectivity is not available). This way if I am connected I can use Placeshifter as per normal but if I'm not connected (on a plane for instance) I can still watch whatever shows were synched to my device.

Cheers
Lester
English Proverb. Collected in: George Herbert, Jacula Prudentum (1651).
Old 06-09-2006, 09:09 AM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via AIM to chrysek Send a message via Yahoo to chrysek
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryp24
Yeah.

I third it.

Since the placeshifting code looks like it uses JAVA...
Couldn't it be modified to work with smartphones (Nokia, Treo 650, ...) also?
I'd be happy to beta any versions (I have one of each ).

Kerry
yeah why stop there maybe placeshifter on Sun Solaris box could be also available? I would love that since I have solaris box at work an dnot linux
Intel Pentium 4 3.0ghz 800mhz FSB, D.VINE 4 w/VFD display Case, GIGABYTE "GA-8IPE1000 PRO-G" i865PE Chipset Motherboard, Dual DDR 400 1024mb RAM (2x512mb), Windows XP Pro SP2 + SageTV 4.1.12 + Java j2re-1.5._02, ATI 9600 128mb DVI out, 200gb OS Drive, 2x160gb EIDE and 7x400gb SATA Video storage hard drives, Hauppauge PVR-250 to Time Warner HD Digital Cable Receiver, Hauppauge PVR-250 to Dish Network Receiver, Hauppauge PVR-350 to Time Warner Cable redy input, ATI HDTV card, USB-UIRT w/Hauppauge remote.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:48 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester Jacobs
A neat extension of the "Placeshifter on PocketPC" idea would be a Placeshifter To Go implementation as well. I may not always have network connectivity via my PocketPC but it would be nice to indicate a subset of shows/favourites that I would like synched to my device and have Sage automatically transcode those shows as or after they are recorded to a folder somewhere. This folder would then be synched to my PocketPC at regular intervals (or whenever I happen to connect my PocketPC to my Sage Server). Thus, on the road, I could always tote around a subset of my favourites to watch whenever I got the chance using the familiar Sage UI (excepting Live TV capabilities when netwrok connectivity is not available). This way if I am connected I can use Placeshifter as per normal but if I'm not connected (on a plane for instance) I can still watch whatever shows were synched to my device.

Cheers
Lester
If you use the Sage2iPod program (elsewhere on the forums), you can achieve this. I was even able to schedule the transcoding of the Channel 6 news each night and have it copied to my SD card so long as it was in the card reader. It works great on my XV6600 w/ WME2003SP2.

One comment, though -- at least on this device the battery life really sucks! The cell-phone placeshifter would only be usefull if you were at a place where you could plug your phone into a power source. So airplanes are out :-( But for those long car drives across country where I have a cigarette lighter....
Old 07-23-2006, 09:24 AM
Sage Advanced User

having bought a htc wizard not more than a few months ago and wondering how i ever got by without one before. sagetv on my pda would own. until then i think i'll look into setting up a vpn or something to play around with. i might come up with a workable solution for the short term.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:07 PM

I'd add my support for this as well. In fact, this is my first first post here, and something that would push me over the edge into purchasing this software package. I haven't even setup a HTPC yet...just gathering up the pertinent info to make those informed decisions.

I vote for a Windows Mobile placeshifting app as well. It would be absolutely fantastic to have such capability esp with unlimited data plans becoming all the rage. It would be like carrying around a little of "home" with you at all times.

I'm wondering though for you sage users...are any of you using orb to tide you over in the meanwhile? Does orb in any way compete for resources with Sage (i.e. tuner card, etc.)? Someone earlier was knocking Orb for its lack of stability. I've only heard great things about orb so far.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:01 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by floepie
are any of you using orb to tide you over in the meanwhile? Does orb in any way compete for resources with Sage (i.e. tuner card, etc.).
I'm using Orb to get by for now, but it has it's limitations. I'm using a Verizon XV6600 in an EVDO area. Orb has been flawless streaming audio and serving jpegs. While its working its great, but I don't think I've ever made it through a full show without Orb causing some kind of media player error.

Orb uses around 60mb of RAM on my system while sitting idle. It probably uses a lot more memory and CPU while compressing/streaming video, but I've never checked.

A Sage client would kill Orb by hopefully providing more stability and the entire Sage UI including stv's (comskip). Being able to view shows the same way Sage organizes them would also be a big plus (grouped by title, watched status, etc.). Orb only offers an alphabetical listing.

Orb is the best I've found for now, but I'd buy a license for a Windows Mobile 2003 Placeshifter in a heartbeat.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:30 AM
SageTVaholic

Just acquired a XV6700 (Windows Mobile 5 Smartphone) Tried the miniclient with MysaifuJVM, no luck. Really wanting a client, even if it doesn;t have the mediaplayer first, just to get to the sage interface would be awesome. Would let me add programs at the last minute from the road or something.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:43 AM
Sage Fanatic

Yep, I would love to see something like this for my Treo when the next release makes it's appearance...

http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...0&d=1157819255
Old 09-17-2006, 12:54 PM
SageTVaholic

Geez.. this thread is STILL here? LOL! Coincidentally, today my brother just got his slingbox+PocketPC to work.

***RIP SageTV***
Old 10-11-2006, 07:53 PM
Sage User

Smile I want it

I have one of those Miami Vice cell phones with the huge brick and external handset that looks like a Ma Bell phone... Having a mobile client for Sage would seriously cause me to rethink purchasing a smart-phone... Although my current cell phone saves me money since I don't have to have a gym membership from carrying it around. Decisions!
Old 10-12-2006, 01:48 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy
Just acquired a XV6700 (Windows Mobile 5 Smartphone) Tried the miniclient with MysaifuJVM, no luck. Really wanting a client, even if it doesn;t have the mediaplayer first, just to get to the sage interface would be awesome. Would let me add programs at the last minute from the road or something.
You can already do that, by running the webserver on your Sage server. I can just connect using IE on my XDA and schedule recordings using the webserver. A bit clunky on the small screens, but setting up recordings is a breeze.
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Clients: 3 Nvidia Shields, 3 FireTV, 3 Win10 Pro PC Clients
Old 10-15-2006, 12:34 PM
Sage User

I'll throw myself into the group knocking Orb for its lack of stability. I tried it until Sling released their PocketPC client. Orb does have some stability problems which are very frustrating. In my experience, it works like it's supposed to 70% of the time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by floepie
I'm wondering though for you sage users...are any of you using orb to tide you over in the meanwhile? Does orb in any way compete for resources with Sage (i.e. tuner card, etc.)? Someone earlier was knocking Orb for its lack of stability. I've only heard great things about orb so far.