SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-11-2006, 02:28 PM
SageTVaholic

Help ! Can't get wma files to show up in music library

I want to import music files encoded in lossless WMA into the music library, but they simply won't show up. I know that the library refresh in Sage has problems, so I removed all files (including my old MP3s) from the directory and rebooted the machine. Ok, I ended up with a clean and empty library, but when I add a the new WMA files to the import directory, only the playlist shows up, but no album, no artist, and playing the playlist doesnt work either. If I go to "Musis Song By Title" and select a song, it plays fine. In contrast, when I add back one of my old MP3 albums, it shows up right away, including cover art, and all functions work fine. I tried to use FLAC files initially, but this didn't work either...

I thought that all I had to change was to add ".wma" to the seeker/music_library_import_filename_extensions property... Is there something else I have to set ? Right now I am really frustrated, I already spent hours on this without any luck ...

Thanks for any help,

Dirk
Old 03-11-2006, 06:33 PM
Sage

Enable debug_logging=TRUE and then check your log file after it does the imports. It'll list the information that it parsed out of the WMA file. (it doesn't extract album art from WMA files currently) but it should get the song title, album name and artist.
Old 03-12-2006, 12:08 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex
Enable debug_logging=TRUE and then check your log file after it does the imports. It'll list the information that it parsed out of the WMA file. (it doesn't extract album art from WMA files currently) but it should get the song title, album name and artist.
Thanks Jeffrey for the hint. Ok, after looking at the debug log I have to admit that it was my fault that the music files weren't showing up. Here's what happened: I am importing wmv video files on a regular basis, and they never showed up correctly in the Video Library, they either had empty file names or cryptic ones like "~1, "~2", etc ... When I searched for a solution I stumbled upon this
thread in the forum, and after I removed the WMATagParser class from the JAR file the video files showed up fine, and the problem was gone. I forgot about it, and now of course the parsing of the wma files can't work any more. After I restored the original Sage.jar, the WMA audio files get imported correctly ...

Ok, so am I screwed now ? Either being able to use WMA audio, but not having filenames for WMV video, or the other way around ? Is there any other fix for the WMV file name problem which does not involve removing the WMATagParserClass ?

Thanks for any suggestions,
Dirk

Edit:
I wouldn't even mind to encode in FLAC for the time being, but as I said before, the import for those files fails too:

Code:
Sun 3/12 10:49:12.006 testFile=01 - Love Everybody.flac
Sun 3/12 10:49:12.020 Couldn't find MPEG audio syncword
Sun 3/12 10:49:12.049 Error parsing metadata in file:java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Cannot add airing of zero duration, Show[Title=Love Everybody, Episode=Love Everybody, Cat=Rock, People=[The Presidents of the United States of America, ], Year=2004, id=540364, extID=MP3540363] chan=0 time=1142044869013
Sun 3/12 10:49:12.050 VF GetFileDuration:\\lauralein1\wma\The Presidents of the United States of America\Love Everybody\01 - Love Everybody.flac
Sun 3/12 10:49:12.069 File is not a valid MPEG-2 PS/TS file...using standard file duration detection
Sun 3/12 10:49:15.140 Added:MediaFile[id=540363 A[540369,540367,"The Presidents of the United States of America/Love Everybody/01 - Love Everybody",0@0310.21:41,0] host=mediapc encodedBy= \\lauralein1\wma\The Presidents of the United States of America\Love Everybody\01 - Love Everybody.flac, Seg0[Fri 3/10 21:41:09.012-Fri 3/10 21:41:09.013]]
Sun 3/12 10:49:15.234 New Library Video File MediaFile[id=540363 A[540369,540367,"The Presidents of the United States of America/Love Everybody/01 - Love Everybody",0@0310.21:41,0] host=mediapc encodedBy= \\lauralein1\wma\The Presidents of the United States of America\Love Everybody\01 - Love Everybody.flac, Seg0[Fri 3/10 21:41:09.012-Fri 3/10 21:41:09.013]]
Sun 3/12 10:49:15.235 Converting Video MediaFile into Audio because it was in the music import path: MediaFile[id=540363 A[540369,540367,"The Presidents of the United States of America/Love Everybody/01 - Love Everybody",0@0310.21:41,0] host=mediapc encodedBy= \\lauralein1\wma\The Presidents of the United States of America\Love Everybody\01 - Love Everybody.flac, Seg0[Fri 3/10 21:41:09.012-Fri 3/10 21:41:09.013]]

Last edited by dflachbart; 03-12-2006 at 03:35 PM.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:42 PM
SageTVaholic

No ideas, anyone ?

On another note, I noticed that even with the original JAR file some of the albums did not get imported. The log files (which I unfortunately dont have any more) showed that Sage parsed all the filenames in those albums as "". I am trying now for hours to reproduce this, but I haven't even got back to the point of reimporting yet... After an endless time of trial and error I was able to get the music library (almost) empty (I had to remove all import directories, and not only the music ones, which usually worked in the past), but now after the directories are back Sage does not import a single music file any more, even after several service restarts and even rebooting the machine...

Also (and that's why I said 'almost' before) one file is stuck in the music library. Ironically this entry is from a former imported WMF file. Ok, probably again my fault in the first place, since I used Niel's webserver to edit the name info of the file (because Sage named it "~1"). It worked fine, but after I deleted it it showed up in the music library ... Anyway, I tried everything, but I cant get rid of it. I even tried to write some code to delete it with the available APIs, but I dont see how I could do it since the 'GetAlbumTracks' API returns nothing, and I couldnt find anything that could delete an album meta object. Is there any way ???

I am at the point where I am ready to give up on Sage for music playback altogether. Does anyone know if the library refresh and WMA/WMF issues are fixed in the beta ? Although I have been hesitant to try the beta yet, I might take the plunge if this would solve all those problems ...

Thanks,
Dirk
Old 03-14-2006, 06:56 AM
SageTVaholic

Well, Sage finally imported the albums again, and the same album as before was missing. Now I was able to have a detailed look at the log files, and it showed that Sage was parsing a lot less WMA tags on those tracks than on the successful ones. I double checked, and the music files of this paricular album had indeed some of the id tags missing (WMP must have screwed this up when I generated the album art).

So all this teaches me that Sage is only able to import files where it can parse some header info ? I thought that it would simply use the filenames if it cant find anything. Ok, wrong assumption on my part. This probably also explains why the FLAC files didnt show up ...

To get back to the point, is there anyone who could answer me

- how can I get rid of this one phantom entry in the music library
- how can I solve the empty name problem for wmv files, is this maybe fixed in the beta

Thanks,
Dirk