SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 03-18-2006, 05:11 PM
Sage Icon

Question My First Real Sage Sound Question

OK ... So I had a set of Cambridge Soundworks Megaworks 5.1 spoeakers hooked up to my office PC and decided to hook them up to my new Sage Server in my Family Room. My new ASUS motherboard supports up to 8 channel audio. All the audio drivers / software is installed and the ASUS audio tests proved that the speakers work fine ...

However, when I playback Sage Recordings or watch Live TV, I only hear sound out of the front speakers and subwoofer, no center or rear??

Any ideas on what I can do to male this work with Sage? BTW, I am on 4.1.6.

Thanks, T.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:56 PM
Sage Icon

SD recordings are stereo only. OTA HD and DVD's will be DD/DTS. Are you getting 5.1 for HD and DVD? For stereo, some sound drivers/receivers can clone to the rear speakers, or mix in the center channel...check the options in the software/hardware you use.

P
Old 03-18-2006, 11:42 PM
Sage Icon

Thanks P ... I don't have HD since I still don't have that flat screen yet ...

But, I did put a DVD Burner in the server ...

Hadn't thought to try one ... Will check it out.

I will also checkoput the software settings ...

Thanks for some great suggestions ...

I'll give'm a try and let you know ...

T.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:41 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro
SD recordings are stereo only. OTA HD and DVD's will be DD/DTS. Are you getting 5.1 for HD and DVD? For stereo, some sound drivers/receivers can clone to the rear speakers, or mix in the center channel...check the options in the software/hardware you use.

P
Well ... Guess I am destine to have some sound issues to work through ....
  • I seem to get no rear or center speaker playback on Recordings or LiveTV.
  • The Sound Effects Software doesn't seem to allow cloning the rear speakers or mix the center.
  • DVD Playback does not playback on rear or center speaker either.
  • DVD sound is muffled.
  • And, I noticed that on some recordings the sound is slightly out of synch with the video.

So, it looks like I may have to pull out 3 speakers and live with 2.1 ...

But, the DVD and Synch issues will not do at all ...

Anyway, I am picking all up all of these issues now because I have officially moved the server back in to the Family Room and am using it real world instead of in the config / test state ...

OH BOY ... And I announced to the fam that we have the Return of Sage! ... This may be painful if I don't get it fixed pronto ...

Thanks again ... T.
Old 03-19-2006, 03:10 AM
Sage Icon

Do the Creative speakers have a hardware decoder with optical/co-ax S/PDIF like the Logitech Z-680/5450/5500 series? If not, Since NVIDIA only decodes AC3 in WMP/MCE, and only with certain versions, I'd think you'd have to get AC3 Filter configured. Intervideo won't work outside of their player...don't know about Cyberlink. What sound codec do you have/what decoder are you using?

P
Old 03-19-2006, 07:53 AM
Sage Aficionado

My setup may be a bit different than yours, but does your speaker system accept analog and digital inputs? I use analog for Sage and digital for your DVDs.

I believe if you try to output dolby digital as analog it requires upgraded versions of DVD software to decode, however if your speakers have built in decoder your digital output on your mobo will pass it thru.

It is super easy to make your own spdif bracket, if your mobo did not come with a digital coax or optical output.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:48 AM
Sage Icon

Keep in mind I am an audio newbie so not up on all the connectivity options ... My Pioneer Receiver is about 12 years old ...

So, This is what I have ...

Megaworks 510D
http://www.digit-life.com/articles/creativemegaworks510d/"]

The rear panel on the subwoofer shows a Digital Input.

ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe Motherboard
http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/...0-e_deluxe.pdf

It looks like the Motherboard (Page 45) has (2) S/PDIF outputs.

The way I have it hooked up is using the Analog In (F, R & C/S on the web link above) on the Speakers and and the similar (5, 6 & 8 on the web link above).

My settings are;

Video / Audio Settings
Audio Rendering = Realtek AC97 Audio

Other options are ...
Default DirectSound Device
Default WaveOut Device and
DirectSound : Realtek AC97 Audio

MPEG2 Audeo Decoder = NVIDIA Audio Decoder

Other options are ...
AC3Filter
MPEG Audio Decoder and
SageTV MPEG Audio Decoder

DVD Settings
DVD Audio Renderer = Realtek AC97 Audio

Other options are ...
Default DirectSound Device
Default WaveOut Device and
DirectSound : Realtek AC97 Audio

DVD Audio Decoder Filter = NVIDIA Audio Decoder

Other options are ...
AC3Filter
MPEG Audio Decoder and
SageTV MPEG Audio Decoder

I have other Decoders from ATI (AIW Card), Hauppauge (PVR Card) and Intervideo (WinDVD), but have not installed them thinking I should use the Realtek for the motherboard and NVIDIA that I bought.

That's it ... Thanks for all of your help ... T.

Last edited by mightyt; 03-19-2006 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:31 PM
SageTVaholic

Give AC3 filter a try, it can expand stereo to 5.1.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:19 PM
Sage Aficionado

First I would say your setup is working "proper" for sage since sage TV is only stereo. I never messed with cloning or expanding to 5.1.

For DVDs I would recomend getting digital passthrough to work. Did your speakers come with the digital cable? Looks like you should use the RCA plug on the back of mobo for digital out (the round is RCA type, the square one is optical), you may need an adapter cable to connect between the RCA and the pc type plug on the speaker. I assume you would just need a mono PC type male connector to a female RCA connector. Then just use a good video quality composite cable to connect the two.

Also, I believe getting 5.1 to work via analog has a lot to do with what version of the decoder you are using. Seems like about any version will do pass through, but you need the gold or platinum version of nvidia to output digital via analog outputs.

You could still use your current analog connections for Sage viewing.

Make sure in your mobo setup both digital and analog output is selected.
Old 03-19-2006, 03:07 PM
Sage Icon

That Digital in is an 1/8" mini...like on the back of Audigy cards. Radio shack sells an 1/8" male to RCA female adapter (~$2.00) that would allow a digital coax connection to the subwoofer. If the motherboard has co-ax S/PDIF, you're set. Now, you still have to decode AC3, since it doesn't look like the Creative's decode anything. AC3 Filter is what you'd have to configure. This will give you one connection for all your sound.

P
Old 03-19-2006, 04:23 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
Give AC3 filter a try, it can expand stereo to 5.1.
I assume I only switch to the AC3 on just the MPEG2 Audio Decoder since the DVD Audio Decoder Filter will accept 5.1, correct?

Also, once I do that, where / how do I configure the AC3 to expand stereo to 5.1 for Recordings or Live TV (Video)?

Thanks! T.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:33 PM
SageTVaholic

If you're going to use AC3Filter, I'd just get the latest version and install it. That will give you a link in the Start Menu to adjust the settings.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:35 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakecrash
First I would say your setup is working "proper" for sage since sage TV is only stereo. I never messed with cloning or expanding to 5.1.

For DVDs I would recomend getting digital passthrough to work. Did your speakers come with the digital cable? Looks like you should use the RCA plug on the back of mobo for digital out (the round is RCA type, the square one is optical), you may need an adapter cable to connect between the RCA and the pc type plug on the speaker. I assume you would just need a mono PC type male connector to a female RCA connector. Then just use a good video quality composite cable to connect the two.

Also, I believe getting 5.1 to work via analog has a lot to do with what version of the decoder you are using. Seems like about any version will do pass through, but you need the gold or platinum version of nvidia to output digital via analog outputs.

You could still use your current analog connections for Sage viewing.

Make sure in your mobo setup both digital and analog output is selected.
Yep, I didn't think this was an issue with Sage itself, but more of an audio tweak ... I didn't expect 5.1 with TV, just was hoping sound out of all 5 speakers for TV.

Actually, I did buy the NVIDIA PureVideo Decoder Gold Software. I am not sure I know how to configure it, or if it can be since NVIDIA didn't isnatll any utility, just the software decoder.

Looks like my ASUS Audio software will allow me to output to both digital and analog, so we are good there.

Thanks, T.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:39 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
If you're going to use AC3Filter, I'd just get the latest version and install it. That will give you a link in the Start Menu to adjust the settings.
Where do I get the latest AC3Filter?

The ASUS mobo site allows me to download "ALC850 Avance AC'97 Driver" but not sure if the AC3Filter is part of that??

Like I said, as I am sure it is evident ... I am pretty dumb in this area.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:45 PM
SageTVaholic

This looks like the latest version:
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/AC3_Filter.htm
Old 03-19-2006, 04:50 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro
That Digital in is an 1/8" mini...like on the back of Audigy cards. Radio shack sells an 1/8" male to RCA female adapter (~$2.00) that would allow a digital coax connection to the subwoofer. If the motherboard has co-ax S/PDIF, you're set. Now, you still have to decode AC3, since it doesn't look like the Creative's decode anything. AC3 Filter is what you'd have to configure. This will give you one connection for all your sound.

P
Got it! Yes ... the Creative speakers came with a cable for the Digital in and it is a mini. So, it looks like if I get an 1/8" female to RCA female I can leverage the cable length Creative provided. Yes, the motherboard does have an S/PDIF coax output so, by connecting the two cables to the converter I should be OK ...

Finally, by reading all these recommendations I believe I am hearing I physically connect both Digital (S/PDIF) and Analog (mini) output to the Subwoofer.

I am still a bit confused onhow I wound configure the AC3Filter ...

Also, After connecting all these cables ... would the end result in Sage be ...

Video / Audio Settings
Audio Rendering = Realtek AC97 Audio (My Current Setting)
MPEG2 Audeo Decoder = AC3Filter (NEW Setting)

DVD Settings
DVD Audio Renderer = Realtek AC97 Audio (My Current Setting)
DVD Audio Decoder Filter = NVIDIA Audio Decoder (My Current Setting ro do I change this to AC3Filter as well??)

Thanks again, T.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:55 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
This looks like the latest version:
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/AC3_Filter.htm
Excellent! Thanks .... I'll try this as soon as I can ...

I am banned from the Family Room due to a bunch of ladies having a wedding shower

SO, I see the screen shots for the AC3Filter configuration ... On the "Mixer Tab" I see a "Expand Stereo" check box ... Is that what you are talking about or is there other settings changes you would recommend?

Thanks again! T.

Last edited by mightyt; 03-19-2006 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:02 PM
SageTVaholic

Nope that's about what I'm talking about, you set the output to whatever you've got (probably 3/2+SW) and then the expand stereo box.

As for digital/analog, you should only need one or the other. If your speakers offer stereo expansion (eg, Dolby Pro Logic) then digital connection with nVidia Audio decoder for everything should do what you want.

If not, you might just want to use analog for everything, sounds like that's working now, you're just trying to get surround expansion for stereo content, which AC3 filter should give you.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:09 PM
Sage Icon

But he already said he doesn't get 5.1 from dvds...
Old 03-19-2006, 10:21 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Nope that's about what I'm talking about, you set the output to whatever you've got (probably 3/2+SW) and then the expand stereo box.

As for digital/analog, you should only need one or the other. If your speakers offer stereo expansion (eg, Dolby Pro Logic) then digital connection with nVidia Audio decoder for everything should do what you want.

If not, you might just want to use analog for everything, sounds like that's working now, you're just trying to get surround expansion for stereo content, which AC3 filter should give you.
Got it ... I'll try the AC3Filter ....

Well, right now I only have the speakers hooked up via Analog ... I can however also hook up digitally, I just need to get a converter and cable from Radio Shack ...

I guess in the end, I was looking for the bestr of both worlds ...

- DVD using 5.1 ... and ... TV using Stereo with expnasion to 5 speakers!

Sounds like if I hook up digital and use my NVIDIA Gold Decoder I could get 5.1 for DVD playback ... and ... If I hook up analog and use AC3Filters with expansion I coiuld get stereo out all 5 speakers for TV playback ... Now that would be great!!

T.

Last edited by mightyt; 03-19-2006 at 10:23 PM.