SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 03-19-2006, 10:24 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheemer
But he already said he doesn't get 5.1 from dvds...
Yes, That is correct ... DVD is only coming out 2.1 and the quality is not too good ... kinda muffled ... Got me ??

Thanks, T.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:02 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyt
Got it ... I'll try the AC3Filter ....

I guess in the end, I was looking for the bestr of both worlds ...

- DVD using 5.1 ... and ... TV using Stereo with expnasion to 5 speakers!

Sounds like if I hook up digital and use my NVIDIA Gold Decoder I could get 5.1 for DVD playback ... and ... If I hook up analog and use AC3Filters with expansion I coiuld get stereo out all 5 speakers for TV playback ... Now that would be great!!

T.
Here's how I see it: For DVD and HD 5.1 *Something* needs to decode it. That could be either:

1. A hardware decoder like Logitech has, or a receiver.

2. Software, such as the NVIDIA decoders...*IF* you were using WMP/MCE (and had whatever precious metal version that was needed).

Since you're not using WMP/MCE and don't have a hardware decoder, AC3 Filter is what you need to configure to get DVD/HD 5.1 and stereo expansion. NVIDIA will not decode AC3 outside of the above apps. AC3 Filter is your answer. Analog .vs digital? I never messed with analog, digital was too easy.

P

Last edited by Polypro; 03-20-2006 at 01:04 AM.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:48 PM
Sage Icon

So ... I guess my task is to;
  • Get an 1/8" to S/PDIF Converter ...
  • Get and S/PDIF Coax Cable ....
  • Download and install the AC3Filter Software
  • Configure AC3Filter to use 5.1 and Expand Stereo

Then I will have;
  • Sage Recordings and Live TV out of all 5 speakers and Subwoofer!!! ... and ...
  • True digital 5.1 DVD playback on all speaker!!!
Thanks for all the GREAT advice everyone ...

I will have to head over to Radio Shack and get started!!

T.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:03 PM
Sage Aficionado

Ignore everything I said in this thread, just listen to the good advise of others. After seeing polypro post I read your link vs just looking at the jacks. Per your link,
"Well, the MegaWorks 510D 5.1 system lacks for a decoder typical of Creative, but it still has a multichannel digital-in (a 4-pin minijack) and an internal 6-channel DAC. That is why 510 means that this is a 5.1 system and D stands for digital."

The motherboard coax is just data and gnd, I have no idea how this could work with a 4-pin minijack.
Sorry
Old 03-20-2006, 09:45 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakecrash
Ignore everything I said in this thread, just listen to the good advise of others. After seeing polypro post I read your link vs just looking at the jacks. Per your link,
"Well, the MegaWorks 510D 5.1 system lacks for a decoder typical of Creative, but it still has a multichannel digital-in (a 4-pin minijack) and an internal 6-channel DAC. That is why 510 means that this is a 5.1 system and D stands for digital."

The motherboard coax is just data and gnd, I have no idea how this could work with a 4-pin minijack.
Sorry
Oh boy ... just when I thought I knew what I was talking about ...

Now I am confused (doesn't take much) again ...

Does this mean my trip to RS is a waste ... ? Do I not convert the S/PDIF on my Mobo over to my Digital In on the Maynotwork, I mean Megaworks?

Don't sweat it ... I always appreciate the help ...

T.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:48 PM
Sage Icon

I'm not a Creative expert I assumed the mini-jack IN would accept the MB S/PIDIF Out. If it doesn't work, he's (you're) only out ~$2.00 and can go analog. mightyt: Put a post up on AVSforum in the HTPC section, just to be sure I'm giving you good gouge. You can use a composite video cable for Coax S/PIDIF BTW.

P
Old 03-20-2006, 11:17 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro
I'm not a Creative expert I assumed the mini-jack IN would accept the MB S/PIDIF Out. If it doesn't work, he's (you're) only out ~$2.00 and can go analog. mightyt: Put a post up on AVSforum in the HTPC section, just to be sure I'm giving you good gouge. You can use a composite video cable for Coax S/PIDIF BTW.

P
Thanks P ... Good point ... I guess I could take the "digital" cable that came with the Creative to Radio Shack and see if that canmatch the connector.

So using a standard "composite video cable" (with the yellow RCA conectors) will work for the S/PDIF !!! Cool ... That will save a few dollars ...

I'll head over to AVS Forum and see what help I can get there as well ...

T.