SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-19-2006, 12:12 PM
Sage Icon

Memory leaks?

SageTV as an application. Windows Task Manager showed 180,000KB memory use by the app. I told Sage to restart the media player and the memory number reduced by 2,000KB. I exited Sage then ran it again, then viewed one recorded show. Now the memory use said 76,000K, a reduction of what, more than half?

Because Sage had been running several weeks when it arrived at 180,000KB, is this normal? Is it indicative of memory leak problems?
Old 03-19-2006, 03:27 PM
Sage

This is normal. It's fluctuations in the Java heap usage due to garbage collection.

If you want to see the 'real' usage then go into System Information. You can use the 'Delete' or 'Don't Like' commands in there to force a full garbage collection.

SageTV also does a lot of caching of certain kinds of data and graphics, so that's the other reason it's so much less upon a restart.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:43 PM
Sage Icon

So the amount of RAM in use by that application and its processes that Windows' Task Manager displays is *incorrect* ?
Old 03-20-2006, 09:42 AM
Sage Advanced User

It's just the way that Java works, and it also depends on what SageTV is doing.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:20 AM
SageTVaholic

If there is a real memory leak you will sooner or later get a java OutOfMemoryException. Java will not use more memory than what is configured for the max JVM heap size at startup (unless of course it's leaking in native JNI calls ..).

Just curious Narflex, what is the max java heap size SageTV is started with ?

Dirk
Old 03-20-2006, 01:30 PM
Sage Icon

So, for the intellectually challenged (me): Task Manager is telling me that Java's VM is retaining a 180MB+ allocation of RAM for its heap. This makes this memory unavailable to other processes, right? JVM is allowed to grow the heap to that size, eh?

So anyway, the question arose becuase Sage Tech Support asked about the memory use for the sageTV application - in answer to my (and others') recurring problem of slo-mo or high dropped frame+no-audio playbacks, where the cure is to reload the Media Player via a Sage Menu Choice. Cures it every time.