SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 03-21-2006, 07:50 AM
Sage User

MediaMVP vs. Network storage for SageTV

I just set up a MediaMVP box on our bedroom TV, and have run into an issue.

I have a computer in our living room running SageTV with the media extender. That computer has some local storage for video files (about 100gb), and also is configured to use a network drive on a computer in my basement (200gb there). SageTV always seems to use the network drive space first.

The issue I'm running into is that when playing back recorded shows on the MediaMVP, I get horrible stuttering on video/audio if watching a show that was recorded onto the network drive (basement). If I'm watching a show that SageTV recorded onto its local drive, playback is fine.

Has anyone else run into this? Do I need to go to all local storage on SageTV?

Network is all 100mb, switched (no hubs). The MediaMVP is the wired version, not wireless.

Thanks,
Old 03-21-2006, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Is the networked drive formatted using 64K cluster sizes?

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:17 AM
Sage Icon

when you say "I have a computer in our living room running SageTV with the media extender" I am assuming that is the media center you have in the Bedroom running off the server in the living room? If so, good. If not-i'm confused. Anyway, you 'should' have no problems using a networked drive as storage and then streaming it back to other clients or mvp's throughout your house. Most likely something with your network setup.. Are your NIC's setup for full duplex? I would start with that. FWIW-sage will always record to the drive that has more available space-so that is why it is recording to the 200gb drive and not your local one.
JUC

andy--64k clusters--good thought!

edit: to remove my question about hub's/switches after rereading the post...
Server: Athlon 2000XP; 1GB Kingston Ram; 250GB Seagate; 160GB Seagate; 160GB Western Digital; Lite-on DVD player; Hauppauge Rosyln; Hauppauge PVR-150; ATI AIW 7500; Actisys 200L; running stock v5 .stv

Client: MVP Extender running SageMC
Old 03-21-2006, 08:53 AM
Sage Aficionado

Yes, I had this problem too. I installed a second drive in my sage server and stopped using my network drive for recordings. I use my network drive now only for imported video, ripped DVD's, and music. I would love to go back to the network drive, but the stuttering was too much.

Also, my network is a gb network.
1 HDHomeRun
4TB Storage, GB Network
2 MVPs, 1 HD100 & 1 HD300
Old 03-21-2006, 09:40 AM
Sage User

Just to clear things up:

Living Room Computer: Runs SageTV, has 100gb local drive storage (64K clusters)
Basement Computer: 200gb storage, formatted with 64K clusters.

Both are defragged every night.

Network is 100mb, all NICs are full duplex. I have no stuttering when I watch programs recorded on the network drive. I have other computers in the house with the SageTVClient software - they do not see stuttering when I watch programs recorded on the network drive.

I only see stuttering when I watch via MediaMVP a program that was recorded on the network drive.

When SageTVClient views a recorded show, is it still going "thru" the SageTV server, or it is in effect streaming directly from the source (in my case, the basement computer)? I'm wondering if MediaMVP results in the data stream in effect making two hops (basement to sagetv to mediamvp) and that's causing the stuttering.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:04 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJC
When SageTVClient views a recorded show, is it still going "thru" the SageTV server, or it is in effect streaming directly from the source (in my case, the basement computer)?
It is streaming through the server, unless you are using UNC paths or mapped drive letters so that the client can see the file directly -- if the client has direct access to a file, it plays it w/o going through the server.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:02 PM
Sage Advanced User

Try changing the duplex to "half-duplex' on your basement server and see if that helps. The MVP use to have an issue talking to certain onboard NICs if they were set to full duplex.

HChucky