SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 03-25-2006, 12:36 PM
Sage User

Brand new MVP won't work with Sage TV

I just got my Hauppauge MVP yesterday. I've been using SageTV and client for about a year with no problem.

I've spent several hours at this point trying to get the thing working with Sage. It works fine with the Hauppauge software, which I have since uninstalled.

I have found several threads and have tried lots of things. Any new ideas?
Old 03-25-2006, 01:04 PM
Sage User

more info

By the way, the MVP gives me a "no streaming server found" error. The server is certainly running, because it is working fine on two laptops running the client.

I am up to version 4.1.10 of Sage TV.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:13 PM
Administrator

In Detailed Setup -> Advanced, did you enable the Media Extender Server? After you do that, toggle the SageTV Server option off & then back on to restart the Media Extender server.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:17 PM

Send a message via ICQ to _Demo_
What is the revision version under the unit?

_Demo_
Old 03-25-2006, 05:16 PM
Sage Advanced User

Do you have a working DHCP Server?

Marneb
Old 03-27-2006, 08:03 AM
Sage User

I'll try to sum up:

The unit revision is 2.04

I do have a working DHCP server; it is working fine for all my laptops (3) running Sage Client. The MVP works fine with the Hauppauge software, as well.

I do have extender enabled. I have toggled it off and on several times. I have rebooted several times. I have followed several threads herein and nothing has been successful.

I have tried reinstalling software both from scratch and on top of existing.

In the end, I have been unable to get the MVP to find the server.

I have been able to use Matt's plugin to get the thing working. I'm not really happy that it isn't working directly as it is supposed to, but at least I have the functionality. I consider Matt's plugin a stopgap until I can get the MVP working natively with the server.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:17 AM

The revision should be a letter, a number then possibly another letter, it is printed under the mvp (something like D3A). Also, did you disable/remove hauppauge software?

_Demo_
Old 03-27-2006, 10:56 AM
Sage User

2.04 must be the firmware version, then. I'll check that this evening when I get home.

I did disable the Hauppauge software. When that approach failed, I removed it altogether with no success.

I also tried the registry improvement for TCPIP from Hauppauge. From what I have read since, that improvement may actually be an unimprovement. I'll have to see if I can figure out how to undo it. But that won't fix my problem.

While I'm writing, let me also say that I am a thoroughly satisfied Sage TV user. Up to the time of the MVP last Friday, it has always performed better than I even expected.

Obviously, I would rather have gotten the extender from Sage. Since they are out of stock, I went to Hauppauge. I was backordered there a couple weeks. I was very surprised the thing didn't work as advertised. I have wondered if there was a hardware change that makes this unit incompatible with Sage. I don't know if there is any kind of battle going on between the two companies that could result in such a thing.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:29 AM

I'm also wondering if you have received a new mvp model. This could explain your problem. I didn't think they were shipping yet. We're still working on making them compatible.

_Demo_
Old 03-27-2006, 03:54 PM
Sage User

I ordered it two or three weeks ago and it was on backorder. I received it Friday. Model 86019 Rev H1.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:57 PM

It seems you received the updated model, does it have a spdif connector on the back? This model is not supported in the current version.

_Demo_
Old 03-27-2006, 05:25 PM
Sage User

It does have an extra black RCA connector between the audio connectors and the ethernet connector that isn't in the picture on front of the installation guide. There is no mention of it in the guide anywhere. Is that the spdif connector?

If this model isn't supported, that would explain why it doesn't work. I don't feel quite so stupid now.

What's the prognosis?
Old 03-27-2006, 06:07 PM

We're working on adding support for this model and it should work in one of the upcoming beta releases.

_Demo_
Old 03-27-2006, 06:38 PM
Sage User

Excellent. Thanks.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:35 PM
Sage User

That's a modified (or should I say a de-modified) wireless MVP. Hauppauge hasn't gotten the wireless support completely right and when people still demanded the wired units they pulled the wireless cards from a bunch of units and sold them as wired units but left the updated flash showing the 2.04 rev on the boot screen.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:14 AM
Sage Icon

so...the obvious questions....is that black connector a SPDIF output?!? And if so, is DVD support in the works!?!......and finally--what is the price of the new units...

details..details please!!!!
Server: Athlon 2000XP; 1GB Kingston Ram; 250GB Seagate; 160GB Seagate; 160GB Western Digital; Lite-on DVD player; Hauppauge Rosyln; Hauppauge PVR-150; ATI AIW 7500; Actisys 200L; running stock v5 .stv

Client: MVP Extender running SageMC
Old 03-28-2006, 09:15 AM
Sage Fanatic

Hi,

What JUC said!!

TIA

Jesse
Old 03-28-2006, 09:51 AM
Sage User

Well, I got mine for the regular price because, apparently, it is a quick way for Hauppauge to fulfil orders. I don't know if the extra black connector works or not. I'm relatively sure they didn't leave the wireless card in it, or it would have found my wireless network (although I'm going to check that out when I get a chance).

Now I kind of wish I had waited for the units to be restocked at Sage TV. I thought I would be jumping ahead, but it doesn't work right anyway.

I'm having some trouble using Matt's plugin. It works well when it works, but it is dropping the connection too much. That's frustrating, because it doesn't pick it back up too easily or too fast. I haven't yet been able to determine what is causing the dropped connection. I never have drops with my wireless network, and this ethernet connection is going through the same router. Oh, well.

I'm seriously thinking of just using the Hauppauge software while I wait for Sage TV to come up to speed with the new MVP. At least I could watch .mpg files recorded with Sage. Not what I expected to be able to do, but still pretty cool. I've purchased a Sage license for the MVP (which is wasted right now) and an additional license for Sage client to use Matt's plugin (which will be forever wasted unless I put it on another laptop, which I doubt), but that's ok.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:52 AM
Sage Icon

I (and others) had problems with matt's plugin and dropped networks. I had to drop my network speed to 10 half duplex for it to connect reliable. FWIW Sage's built in support however worked fine at 100 full duplex...

Also--that 'black connector' you speak of----any idea of what it is or maybe posting a pic? round or square? Anything in the documentation?

Thanks
JUC
Server: Athlon 2000XP; 1GB Kingston Ram; 250GB Seagate; 160GB Seagate; 160GB Western Digital; Lite-on DVD player; Hauppauge Rosyln; Hauppauge PVR-150; ATI AIW 7500; Actisys 200L; running stock v5 .stv

Client: MVP Extender running SageMC
Old 03-28-2006, 10:57 AM
Sage User

I'm at work, not home, now. If more info is needed, I'll post again later.

The connector is round. It looks to me like a standard RCA connector, just like the audio connectors, only black. It sits on the back of the MVP between the audio connectors and the ethernet connector.

There is nothing about it in the documentation, which is sparse anyway. It isn't even in the picture on the cover.