SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 03-25-2006, 08:19 PM
Sage Advanced User

Success

Just thought I would take a minute to post my trials and tribulations with my new (used off Ebay) MVP.

Worked first time out of the box (after setting router to DHCP). No brightness issues watching LiveTv, in fact I am very pleased with the quality going into my 61" rear projection RCA using s-video.

Started slowly loading some STVI's, tried to set IP to static address and loaded the TCPIP fix from Hauppauge to further improve.

Started to breakdown. Jerking motion in video (actor would take 3 steps, stop, take 3 steps, stop .. so on). Sound would snap and pop and be out of sync. Since it worked fine fresh, I started backing things out. No help. Erased IP settings (since it does not work anyway) thinking it might be looking for IP creating the sluggishness. No help.

Started reading the forums and the NIC card seemed to be the problem, but I was doubtfull. Was ready to buy a new card instead of using the on board NIC. Finally out of desperation I removed the registry settings from the TCPIP improvement and viola ... back in business. Now I was having occassional hick-ups in video / sound when watching Live but all is well in Recorded and was still stumped.

I have surmised that when watching LiveTv it must be recording so we can do pause and repeat. I then started lowering record quality from Standard 3.2gb and finally have NO problems at LongPlay DVD quality. Not pleased with the lack of quality when I wish to record but can live with the great viewing quality I now have. I am actually using the MVP to watch TV AND forget I am using it (trying to change channels with wrong remote LOL).

As for the network "fix" from Hauppauge, I thought it would make what I had better but did the opposite. If it ain't broke .. don't fix it.

I hope this helps some with similiar problems.