SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-27-2006, 06:31 PM
Sage Advanced User

Problems since upgrading to latest version...

I recently upgraded to the latest version...on a side note, where do you guys usually download the latest, I just download the trial version posted.

I'm just downloading the latest sage 4, used first version 4 released until now. I have to use the nVideo decoder to have any chance of good playback, so I've always used that. The only thing I've changed is installing this Sage.

It runs great, probably even better than previous versions, except when I try to record 2 shows and watch a show. I used to do this all the time with no problems, but now it is impossible. When I first started using sage I used the task manager to select options to minimize CPU during playback (I had to to get it to work correctly while recording two shows), so I've been watching that and it definitely maxes out the CPU when this occurs. The problem is I can't find a setting that works now. Is there some new option that is causing recording to require more CPU? I always ran sage as a service, so I tried the other way and it seemed the same, any thoughts on that?

Finally, in the past I would toggle to normal screen to use windows media play for music, which I'd maximize the screen while playing mp3 in media player. Then, when done, I'd close media plage and full screen sage. When I do that now, the window doesn't resize correctly unless I close and reopen sage, kind of weird...

thanks!
Old 03-27-2006, 06:36 PM
Sage Icon

Have you considered a separate server to do the work? I have a separate computer that runs nothing but Sage Server and I can record 4 shows all at the same time with not even 5% of the CPU resources used. The problem could be "blips" or other issues in your computer and then the recordings can get all messed up.

If you don't want to use a separate server which I strongly recommend - consider a disk defrag and also make sure your disk drive you are saving Sage recordings on is partitioned to 64k clusters.

Mike
Old 03-27-2006, 06:40 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for the quick response

Thought about it (server), but don't really want to buy anything...plus, the setup has been awesome for the last year, this is something new

Disk is formatted to 64 kb and recently reformatted, so it isn't fragged

It just seems that something with the new version is taking up more CPU while recording. I've read some posts about searching library import directories, I'll try turning that off...
Old 03-27-2006, 06:53 PM
Sage Icon

Otto - why not try reinstalling your video sources? What tuner cards do you use? Do they do hardware encoding?

Mike
Old 03-27-2006, 06:55 PM
Sage Icon

In fact - maybe you should try backing up and deleting your properties file and recreate it from scratch. I did that to get rid of wierd files in my media directories. I still haven't rectified the problem with wierd files in the sound folder but the others were corrected.

Kind of a pain - but it may fix the problem.

Mike
Old 03-27-2006, 07:05 PM
Sage Advanced User

Everything was newly installed (in fact from a drive image). I used the same drivers for everything. The capture cards are supposed to be hardware haugpage pvr500, I've done this process whever I install a new release of sage. I format the drive and reimage it to right before sage was installed. Then I install sage and I'm off, this is the first time I've had a problem. I tried the previoius version I still had and the problem was gone, something new with sage and recording. I though maybe the first install was a fluke, so i just installed the old version over it and now the problem is back. I did end up loser the older version though, are they posted somewhere in case I want to revert back? I think is was 4.1 or something like that.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:11 PM
Sage Icon

Did you check the default recording quality to make sure it is the same as the prior version (probably is but worth checking).

Mike
Old 03-28-2006, 08:11 AM
Sage Advanced User

Yeah, that's the same as well. It think I will try the latest beta release and then go back to the one that worked well. I don't know why I always like to have the most updated version....drives the girlfriend mad...

I just need to find how to get a copy of it.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

I installed the latest beta and now I can't even get passed the first menu. It takes about 30 seconds for the menu to fade to the selection I have the mouse on and then when I select it it just fades back the same menu....

I really need to get a past version!!
Old 03-28-2006, 05:18 PM
SageTVaholic

You can turn the menu fading off. I had to because I couldn't stand the lag.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:58 PM
Sage Advanced User

I can't since I can't get past the setup menu. Can't even select my country