SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-28-2006, 07:24 AM
Sage User

Screen gets bigger when I exit from the full guide

When I adjust the screen size for my SDTV under setup and then go into the guide it looks good. But then if I go back to video the screen jumps to a bigger size and about an inch or so is covered up around the edges. Then I go back to setup and I have to adjust it again. I'm using the nvidia decoder & overlay, everything else is default. The main problem with this is that if I adjust it so I can see the video screen, the guide gets too small. I'm also using onboard 6150 graphics set to 64mb I think.

If I remember, I don't have this problem w/ VRM9 but then I have a strange line on top of my screen that's annoying, and it doesn't seem as smooth overall, hence I use overlay.

Any ideas?
Old 03-28-2006, 07:58 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by area123
When I adjust the screen size for my SDTV under setup and then go into the guide it looks good. But then if I go back to video the screen jumps to a bigger size and about an inch or so is covered up around the edges. Then I go back to setup and I have to adjust it again. I'm using the nvidia decoder & overlay, everything else is default. The main problem with this is that if I adjust it so I can see the video screen, the guide gets too small. I'm also using onboard 6150 graphics set to 64mb I think.

If I remember, I don't have this problem w/ VRM9 but then I have a strange line on top of my screen that's annoying, and it doesn't seem as smooth overall, hence I use overlay.

Any ideas?
While I can't say what's causing your problem in overlay, I'm going to bet the strange line you are having in VMR9 is the closed-captioning information. If you adjust your aspect ration settings in sage to 102% on vertical stretch, you should get rid of that annoying line. Also, if you are using VMR9, try it with FSE enabled, seems to help me out a bit now (not so much on later revisions, but the latest seems to work very well on my hardware).
Old 03-28-2006, 08:13 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

Any ideas?
I have the same exact problem with my MX4000, using nvidia decoder and overlay. I think I read somewhere that this is caused by the nvidia video driver, and someone suggested to use an older version...

So far I have dealt with it by adjusting the overscan in such a way that the OSD displays remain visible, but as you said everything is a little small once you stop playing a video. I have now taken a different approach and modified the sizes/positions of the OSD menus in Studio so that they still fit on the screen. If you feel like messing around with Studio a little, I'd be glad to share which widgets to change.

Dirk
Old 03-28-2006, 08:14 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Do you mean that the UI is what is changing sizes such the menus are correct, but the OSD is too large for the screen during playback & the video size is correct? If so, I remember hearing about this long ago, but I don't remember the solution. Maybe it was a video driver upgrade?

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:24 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
Maybe it was a video driver upgrade?

- Andy
If I remember correctly it was actually a driver downgrade ...
I am using the latest nvidia driver, and the issue is still present.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:17 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
Do you mean that the UI is what is changing sizes such the menus are correct, but the OSD is too large for the screen during playback & the video size is correct? If so, I remember hearing about this long ago, but I don't remember the solution. Maybe it was a video driver upgrade?

- Andy
Um, sorry if I don't know all the terminology yet. The live tv/video screen is what increases in size when I exit the guide. It's like the resolution is changing as I go from the guide to live tv and vice versa. If OSD is the default guide that comes up when you hit the info button, that guide is fully visible even when the video is too large. But the mini guide is not fully visible. The main default guide w/ the small video preview gets smaller when I hit the guide/menu button. So, if I adjust the overscan so that the guide displays properly, the live tv is too big and vice versa. But the only thing I can't see on the live tv screen is about an inch on each side and I can't see all of the mini guide.

I think I am using the latest Forceware. But I did downgrade at one point to get back the HD settings for the tv out, but I think that I changed back since I was using SDTV.

And I did try to adjust the overscan to try to get rid of the fuzzy line at the top but it seemed "stuck" at that location on the live tv screen. Can I manually adjust it to 102% vertical like you said & it will do something different than the interative overscan adjustment?
Old 03-28-2006, 09:29 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flachbar
I have the same exact problem with my MX4000, using nvidia decoder and overlay. I think I read somewhere that this is caused by the nvidia video driver, and someone suggested to use an older version...

So far I have dealt with it by adjusting the overscan in such a way that the OSD displays remain visible, but as you said everything is a little small once you stop playing a video. I have now taken a different approach and modified the sizes/positions of the OSD menus in Studio so that they still fit on the screen. If you feel like messing around with Studio a little, I'd be glad to share which widgets to change.

Dirk
Not positive what the OSD is, but if it is what I think then that is fully visible even when my live tv is too large (after I adjust the overscan to properly fit the guide (the guide with the mini video preview). Isn't the OSD the default guide that comes up when you hit info or channel up/down?

My miniguide however is not fully visible. If I change the overscan so I can see all the miniguide, then the regular guide is too small. I can't remember about the rest of the menus.

When you use the VRM9 do you have the same problem? I actually like the looks of the menus better w/ VRM9 but I get the fuzzy line at the top and video seems jumpy at times, probably a function of my lower end onboard video.

I still am not satisfied enough w/ video quality as compare to my dish dvr to replace it yet. It is close but probably only 80% of the quality of my dish. I have the recording quality set to whatever the default was ( I think "great"), but not sure if that effects the live tv quality or not.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:36 AM
SageTVaholic

This is an Nvidia problem with using the overlay with TV-out... In full screen video mode, all the TV-out overscan settings (in the device driver settings) get reset to some Nvidia defined defaults, and all the nicely set overscan settings are either too big or too small. ..

IIRC, I think its possible to workaround it by setting the video zoom % (in aspect ratio settings) to either 99% or 101%..

It does not occur when video is running in a small preview window, nor when the sage window is not full screen.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:42 AM
Sage Advanced User

You might also want to take a look at the settings for the nVidia video driver.

I no longer have a TV connected to my HTPC (which has a 6600 card), but I remember there were a bunch of settings for zoom etc. when using "full screen video" (I think that's how they described it) on the TV output.

Eric

Eric Law
Old 03-28-2006, 09:47 AM
Sage Advanced User

And here's another idea...

You might have luck combining some of the above suggestions. First switch to VMR9, then adjust your aspect ratio settings on the setup screen to get rid of the line at the top of the screen.

Eric

Eric Law
Old 03-28-2006, 02:52 PM
Sage Icon

I too have noticed this problem but ONLY when the graphics resolution is set really small or to a non-standard resolution. In other words - if I adjust the "overscan" and I have a standard resolution like 800x600 or 1024x768 then no problem. But, if I use something like 512x384 or something non-standard then yes, I have the same problem.

What resolution do you have your display settings set at?

Mike
Old 03-29-2006, 08:41 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaw
And here's another idea...

You might have luck combining some of the above suggestions. First switch to VMR9, then adjust your aspect ratio settings on the setup screen to get rid of the line at the top of the screen.

Eric
This actually worked great. I didn't realize the aspect ratio setting was different than the overscan, overscan didn't do anything to get rid of the bar at the top.

But I think I'm going to have to use overlay cause VRM9 causes other glitches I think. I guess my weak onboard video is not enough. I think VRM9 actually looks better on my tv so that's too bad.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:44 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1961
I too have noticed this problem but ONLY when the graphics resolution is set really small or to a non-standard resolution. In other words - if I adjust the "overscan" and I have a standard resolution like 800x600 or 1024x768 then no problem. But, if I use something like 512x384 or something non-standard then yes, I have the same problem.

Mike
It happens on my machine with the resolution set to 800x600 ...

Dirk
Old 03-29-2006, 11:13 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1961

Mike
My resolution is at 1024x768 with big fonts, I do this so I can see the desktop better for system stuff, I'll try some others to see if that fixes my problem with overlay.

Are you using overlay? What video processor are you using? Mine is nvidia 6150.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:19 PM
Sage Icon

I had the same problem using an nVidia card connected to the TV with an SVideo connector. When I changed to Component Video, problem went away.

I think the Video driver tries to adjust the overscan settings when it detects a Video Overlay is operating and you are connected to a standard TV. The Overlay only operates when you are watching video, so the Sage Menus aren't affected, but when you are watching TV, the pop-up show description and progress bar get pushed off the edges of the screen.

I never found a real fix, just a workaround.