SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 03-31-2006, 09:25 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via ICQ to pciccone Send a message via AIM to pciccone Send a message via MSN to pciccone Send a message via Yahoo to pciccone
Playback stutters (some files only)

I have the oddest problem with my SageTV setup. We usually don't use the direct video card output on our box, instead we use MVPs most of the time to watch video. Well now with the new HDTV setup I have been trying to bring up the main video card output to watch directly. I have the weirdest problem in doing so. Some files will stutter or "scramble" video while other video files play back just fine. The kicker is, I cannot find a pattern of what makes a bad file bad and a good file good. I have narrowed down two test files, one good and one bad, that both came from the same capture card, same quality recording and saved to the same HD and directory. So to me, nothing is different about them yet -- when played back on my main video output one will stutter terribly and the other will be perfect. Now, these same two files playedback via placeshifter or via an MVP are BOTH just fine.

BTW, I am talking about SD playback. HD playback will do the same stuttering consistantly but its far minor in comparison. Could be releated but maybe not. SD recordings are done via dual PVR-150s and HD is done OTA via Fusion lite.

Also the same stuttering can be recreated via Windows media player on the bad file but the good file plays back fine. So, this leads me to believe that for some reason the recordings themselves have a problem not the playback. And, for some reason MVP playback ignores whatever the problem is with the recordings.

I am copying both MPGs to my local PC for WMP testing like it was done on the server, but it will take a while to do the copy as they are each 3.2GB in size for two 1 hour shows.

Odd indeed. Any ideas?
Old 04-01-2006, 09:22 AM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via ICQ to pciccone Send a message via AIM to pciccone Send a message via MSN to pciccone Send a message via Yahoo to pciccone
The copy to my laptop finished. It seems the recorded files are flawed. It also occures during live TV.... I am going to start to investigate the capture cards...
Old 04-01-2006, 10:40 AM
Sage User

Hi,

have the same problem with 4.11 over LAN and MVP Clients.
The recordings, music and live TV stutters.
Under 4.10 everything is fine.
Funny is, that 4.11 Server with 4.10 Client is fine but 4.11 Server with 4.11 Client stutters.
Hope in 4.12 the stuttering (and daylight saving) is solved.

Greetings from Frankfurt/Germany
Harry
Old 04-16-2006, 08:03 AM
Sage Advanced User

This has been RESOLVED. Turns out that an IRQ conflict of sorts existed between one of my PVR-150 cards and my FusionHDTV card causing some SD shows to be messed up, and others to be OK. Also was the reason why FusionHDTV shows were stuttering most of the time but not all the time (depending on if SD was recording at that time). Had to move the Fusion card to a new slot now making it share with the USB controllers (which does not seem to be a problem yet).

Also wanted to mention, if this helps others: Nvidia decords w/ Overlay seems to produce the smoothest HDTV playback available. Also make sure you have a strong HD signal or stuttering could be coming from a weak signal. If you have any ghosting on SD playback forget HD until you get it resolved (ghosting occurs from a signal bounce of a nearby structure).