SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 04-05-2006, 08:23 PM
Sage User

Comskip works on server, not on client. Ideas?

Since I upgraded to 4.1x from 4.0, my sagetv client no longer works properly with comskip .txt files. The server does work, however.

I even tried reinstalling both the server and client, and upgrading both to the latest beta build, 4.1.12. I have the server drive as T:, and mapped as a network T: drive on the client. I also tried changing the media path to \\server\tv, which is what the T: drive is mapped as.

Is there something I'm missing?

I don't want to go back to 4.0, because of the stability issues I was having.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:36 PM
Sage User

I've tried both the malore3.13 and comskip_import.stvi, same result with both... works on server, not on client.

Feedback? Anyone have comskip working properly on client with ver 4.1x? Anyone having issues with it?
Old 04-06-2006, 06:49 AM
SageTVaholic

Do the skips show up in the timeline? The comskip.stvi will just give you the auto-skips. All my clients and servers use unc mapping. Change them all and restart the Sage server before trying again. The comskip.stvi might also need to be enabled when you're viewing the video. Bring up Options and enable it.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:21 AM
Sage User

I changed the client to unc pathing, \\server\tv (I have a dedicated HD for the TV, so the files are in the root drive), and the server changed as well, automatically. It didn't change anything tho. All sage needs is identically matching paths, unc or drivemapping, to function. It's the comskip .txt files that aren't being read properly on the client for some reason. The skips do not show up on the timeline on the client, but do on the server.

I do have Com. Auto Skip: Enabled selected in the right-click menu during video playback.

I have the same version of java on both systems, the latest 5.0_06.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:25 AM
SageTVaholic

You didn't import both the malore AND the comskip.stvi into the same STV? You installed each one into a clean copy of your STV?

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:38 AM
Sage User

HAH! Fixed it. Didn't have anything to do with SageTV or comskip. Go figure. Since I kept getting the messages about using a larger block size for a dedicated HD for SageTV, I closed the service, moved the files, reformatted T: with 64k blocks, copied the files back to the drive and started up the service.

What I didn't do was unshare the drive and reshare it. <doh!> It still showed the icon as being shared, and I could still map the drive as a network share, but I just didn't have access to any of the files, including the .txt files, from the client machine. Oddly, the video files still played from sagetv client, even though I couldn't manually open them.

In summary: Network mapping works as well as unc. Windows sharing is bugged if you format the drive.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:15 PM
Sage Aficionado

I seem to be having the same problem. When I imported the comskip.stvi into my client machine I dont see the comskip button when I select the options. On my server it seems to work, I at least see that button.

I have tried importing the stvi a couple of times (each time creating a new copy of the original STV). I have enabled the special options, upgraded to the latest Java on both computers (They are the same). I have tried removing the sharing on the server and putting it back on with a different name, still no go. Does anybody have anything else? Thanks,
Old 04-10-2006, 09:12 PM
Sage User

Hmm... the stvi should display the comskip option whether or not the sharing is setup correctly.

The check I used to ensure it was installed was to start a video playing, and then bring up the menu options (right click). The last option should be "Commercial Autoskip: Enabled" if the .stvi is installed.

If that isn't displaying, try uninstalling the client completely, delete or move the c:\program files\SageTV directory, and reinstall.

If it is displaying that option, ensure that both the server and client system have identical pathing (ie if your server directory is T:\TV then network map it as T: on the client machine as well)

Then check that you can actually open the .txt files that comskip or showanalyser are generating, and there is frame points listed in the file

ie
2405 3450
12043 13421
etc

if it still doesn't work, write back.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:21 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardN
The check I used to ensure it was installed was to start a video playing, and then bring up the menu options (right click). The last option should be "Commercial Autoskip: Enabled" if the .stvi is installed.
Not always true. You should have the option; however, I've found that other imports can cause you to lose the option on the menu you mentioned. I've heard of others also losing the option on that menu. I have to go into detailed setup now to enable and disable comskip.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:52 AM
Sage Aficionado

I have not tried openning up the txt file from my client machine, I will do that tonight. Both the server and client are using UNC, I tried changing the share name to get it to work, no go. I was able to import the IMDB stvi last night after giving up on the comskip and it imported no problem.

I will try and reinstall sage tonight on the client. Maybe that will work. The only place I see anything related to comskip is by going into the detailed setup under advanced (I think). I have not seen it anywhere during video playback.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:03 AM
SageTVaholic

Bring up options while you are in the video playback screen.

Gerry
Old 04-11-2006, 09:28 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky
Bring up options while you are in the video playback screen.

Gerry

I tried that, there are no comskip options there, on the server they are there but the client does not have that option.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:41 AM
SageTVaholic

What STV are you using on your client? Something is not installed right.

Gerry
Old 04-11-2006, 01:20 PM
Sage Aficionado

I am using the standard STV that comes with Sage, I am going to try and reinstall Sage tonight, hopefully that will clear things up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky
What STV are you using on your client? Something is not installed right.

Gerry
Old 04-11-2006, 03:01 PM
Sage Aficionado

Could be completely unrelated but thought I'd mention I had the exact same problem on my client XP box I use in the living room. I was using shares, though, and even though the drive names were the same it was not working. The comskip extension was installed right and it did not offere the comskip options in the playback menu. I went around and around with it even reinstalling the sage client along the way. No go.

I was loading the client at startup and it comes up pretty quick - Turned out that if I opened up the shares in XP prior to starting the client, all was well. Very, very odd... sounds like you're using UNC now which would not end up having the same problem I did but thought I'd not it anyway if you're still banging on it.
Basement: HD Extender connected to Dell projector.
Back room: MVP 1000 hooked to 21" CRT TV.
Bedroom: MVP 1000 hooked to 27" CRT TV.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:32 PM
Sage Aficionado

OK got it working. Here is what happened.

I tried reinstalling Sage, re-downloading the stvi (just in case) and then trying it again. No go. In an act of frustration I decided to go with Mapped network drives. I changed Sage server to use the Drive letter, and then mapped the drive on the client. It worked.

So it turns out that UNC was the problem, mapping the drives worked. Thank you for everybody's help. Now I just need to reorganize my server. Thanks again.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:41 PM
Sage Advanced User

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardN
... my sagetv client no longer works properly with comskip .txt files. The server does work, however.
I'm having the same issue. I just installed the SageTV Windows client. I'm running comskip on the server and both my MediaMVP boxes work correctly with commercial skipping.

My Windows client does not work. I read this thread, but I still can't tell what to do. I'm missing the basics.

What are the basic steps for setting up comskip on a Windows client?

I assume I have to log in to my client with a Windows acct that has permissions to access the share where my video recordings exist on the server. I'm doing that.

Do I have to set up the Video Recording Directories in a special way? I've tried changing the client setting, but it keeps asking me if I want to create a new directory even when that directory exists.

Under setup, which media folders should I change/map, and should I go with unc or drive mapping?

What part of this needs to be the same on both the client and server? Thanks
Old 05-06-2006, 04:00 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshields
What are the basic steps for setting up comskip on a Windows client?
I'm assuming you've already properly installed the comskip stvi on your client and enabled it. If so that's all you need to do within Sage.

The only other thing you need to do is map the drive in windows. The client must be able to see the files from the exact same path the server does for comskip to work.

For example:
If you're recordings are on your Server in D:\Recordings. For comskip to work you'd need be able to see those recordings from the client at D:\Recordings as well. To do this go into -my computer- and click on -tools- and then -map network drive-. Select the same drive letter the server is using and then browse to the desired location. For this example you'd select one directory above Recordings so the path would be correct. If you've done it correctly when you go into my computer on the client you should be able to go to D:\Recordings just like you do on the server.

I think most people prefer UNC paths. If you use them you'll need to change the server's recording directory to a UNC path. Just like with mapped drives, the client must be able to see the recording directory at the exact same path the server does. If your recordings are in C:\ on the server (not a good thing), then you will have to use UNC paths.

I originally set mine up using mapped drives because they were easier for me to understand. Now I plan to switch over to UNC paths when I get time. If UNC paths are too confusing, just use mapped drives.

Last edited by blade; 05-06-2006 at 04:03 AM.
Old 05-06-2006, 11:56 AM
Sage Advanced User

Interesting... I got comskip working on my client using mapped drives, then I switched to unc paths and comskip stopped working again on the win client. (Comskip still works on my MediaMVP clients even with the unc paths set up on my server.)

I work with unc paths a lot on my home LAN, so I prefer to use them. I guess I still need to do some troubleshooting...
Old 05-07-2006, 01:01 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshields
Interesting... I got comskip working on my client using mapped drives, then I switched to unc paths and comskip stopped working again on the win client. (Comskip still works on my MediaMVP clients even with the unc paths set up on my server.)

I work with unc paths a lot on my home LAN, so I prefer to use them. I guess I still need to do some troubleshooting...
Please post the path you use, there may be a problem in Comskip, I never tested with UNC.