SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 04-08-2006, 06:56 AM
Sage Expert

Send a message via Yahoo to cmaffia
SageTV Client for MAC?

I am sure this has been spoken of before but maybe not recently.
I know there are various supported and unsupported client versions for SageTV at this time. I was thinking about getting my first Mac recently and this question obviously popped in my head. Has there ever been any plan for SageTV to be accessed on a LAN from a Mac (and now placeshifting too)?
Server: Dual Tuner: PVR-150MCE/PVR-250MCE/SageTV v5.02/Asus Pundit-R 2.4GHZ/512MB DDR RAM/250 GB Maxtor HD (8MB Buffer) External Seagate 400GB HD via USB 2.0/Onboard ATI 9100 using SVIDEO TV-Out/Nvidia DVD decoder/Actisys 200L IR Blaster (Dish receiver) USBUIRT (DirectTV receiver)/Lite-On 4X DVD-R/RW/Windows XP Pro SP2/Adesso Mini IR Keyboard w/integrated mouse/Tivo "Peanut" Remote via USBUIRT/Dish Network Model 301/DirectTV subscriber/Webserver Plugin v2.8
Old 04-14-2006, 05:31 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaffia
I am sure this has been spoken of before but maybe not recently.
I know there are various supported and unsupported client versions for SageTV at this time. I was thinking about getting my first Mac recently and this question obviously popped in my head. Has there ever been any plan for SageTV to be accessed on a LAN from a Mac (and now placeshifting too)?

Wish someone from Sage would respond here. Andy -- Jeff? I think we would have a much better - and acceptable chance at getting support for the PlaceShifting client on the mac - as it relies on simply java and mplayer... which should be able to be compiled on the mac. For the interim - would love to see this work.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:43 PM
Sage Advanced User

With the new Intel Mac Mini's out there I wish they would have a full blown supported client. 600 bucks for a client that is small and quiet and can play HD is an awesome setup.

-Matthew
Old 04-14-2006, 06:46 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsm
With the new Intel Mac Mini's out there I wish they would have a full blown supported client. 600 bucks for a client that is small and quiet and can play HD is an awesome setup.

-Matthew
I would love Placeshifter for my PowerPC OS X laptop. I guess you can always boot into WinXP now with the Intel Mac Mini and run a full blown client.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:22 PM
Sage Fanatic

It would probably take a bunch of work, but I'd bet that the Linux version could be made to work on the Intel macs running OSX.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:19 PM
SageTVaholic

I don't know if it's a bunch of work...mplayer runs on Mac OSX now.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 04-15-2006, 05:33 AM
SageTVaholic

I would love this too. I have tried running place shifter inside Parallels on my MBP, I get audio no video. Since I travel with this machine, I will be using Boot Camp to access content while away, but it would sure be nice to not have to dual boot.

B
Old 04-18-2006, 10:25 AM
Sage Advanced User

Sign me up as well. Sage Client for the Mac would be the one thing stopping me from moving my main HTPC client over to the Mac - that Mini is just too sweet.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:39 PM
Sage User

Another Java OS X update.

Via Software Updates:
Java 2 Standard Edition (J2SE) 5.0 Release 4 delivers improved reliability and compatibility for Java 2 Platform Standard Edition 5.0 on Mac OS X v10.4.5 and later. This release includes J2SE version 1.5.0_06. With this update J2SE 5.0 becomes the preferred Java version, superseding Java 1.4.2. Java 1.4.2 is still installed on your machine, but applications will run with J2SE 5.0 unless they specifically request Java 1.4.2.

http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/18580
mplayer is already available for OS X in Universal Binary form for Intel/PPC.

Please make it happen. We've already got up to 6 OTA/QAM HDTV tuners for EyeTV, but I miss the smarter scheduling and scheduling via OSD.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:21 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nspindel
Sign me up as well. Sage Client for the Mac would be the one thing stopping me from moving my main HTPC client over to the Mac - that Mini is just too sweet.
Agree!!!!! If I can (with little effort) get a mac mini as a client then you can mark me down for 2 client licenses right away please.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:30 PM
Sage Advanced User

Well, you can make the Mac Mini your client right now - just run Windows on it
Old 04-18-2006, 04:03 PM
Sage User

you mean dual booting with boot camp? Hmmmm... I wonder if it would be better than a Sage Media extender?
Old 04-18-2006, 04:31 PM
Sage Advanced User

I would think so - as much as I love my mvp, it's still not an htpc. I do plenty on my htpc that I can't do with the mvp. But the Mac Mini looks like the ideal htpc client - dvi out, digital audio out, if I can run Windows on it, and therefore Sage, XLobby, Zoom Player, Foobar, connect to my Windows servers, it's awesome. But it would be interesting to see a Sage client for OSX, so maybe I wouldn't need to run Windows on it, I'd just use different (Mac) htpc software for the dvd end of it, in tandem with Sage for the Mac. All sorts of possibilities, though, now that the Mac runs Windows. The Mac may just prove to be the best Wintel box out there
Old 04-18-2006, 08:39 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Except Windows doesn't support recording from 6 HDTV tuners and Windows sucks.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:41 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nspindel
It also costs $150 bucks more....

-Matthew
Old 04-18-2006, 08:49 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph S
But it does run the Sage client

Seriously, how do you record 6 HDTV tuners on a Mac?
Old 04-18-2006, 08:55 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Seriously, how do you record 6 HDTV tuners on a Mac?
You use 3 EyeTV 500s, 3 MigliaHDMinis, and EyeTV 2.1.x. Schedule and enjoy. I've got 4 running now. (Technically up to 12 simultaneous recordings via QAM)

There's also D-VHS Cap for firewire for a 7th/13th recording.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:33 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
You must have better TV out where you are... I don't think I've ever recorded more than 3 shows at one time in my life... I used to have 4 capture cards in my Windows rig and I yanked one of them out since it never got used.

Well, get on the horn to your boy Steve and tell him to offer the Mac OS on hardware other than their over priced, locked down selection of Apple platforms then! Dell I'm sure would be more than too happy to offer it as an option. It's easy to get all upity about the stability of your platform when you only have to test 3 or 4 configurations in the known universe. He wants to wander out of the pretty-looking hardware boutique and kick it up a notch, I'm all ears and credit card...
Basement: HD Extender connected to Dell projector.
Back room: MVP 1000 hooked to 21" CRT TV.
Bedroom: MVP 1000 hooked to 27" CRT TV.

Last edited by jlindborg; 04-18-2006 at 11:38 PM.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:37 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
You use 3 EyeTV 500s, 3 MigliaHDMinis, and EyeTV 2.1.x. Schedule and enjoy. I've got 4 running now. (Technically up to 12 simultaneous recordings via QAM)

There's also D-VHS Cap for firewire for a 7th/13th recording.
But what is your source? Does it just capture over the air hdtv like Sage does? Or can you actually capture a component video source, e.g. a digital cable box?
Old 04-19-2006, 10:45 AM
Sage User

OTA/QAM with EyeTV2.

Virtual D-VHS/AVCCAP/iRecord can all do firewire cable non-5c/D-VHS and also control the cable box and D-VHS hardware.

Component capture cards are available for PCI-X and PCI-e, but they're expensive.

Last edited by Joseph S; 04-19-2006 at 10:47 AM.