SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 04-08-2006, 07:40 AM
Sage Aficionado

HOW-TO: Using SageTV w/ XP MCE & IR Remote (or IR Keyboard/Mouse/Remote)

This is a summary post; it is meant to make it possible for people using the "search" function to more easily find information. It is basically a summary of my experiences when installing and using SageTV on XP MCE and using it with the special mouse and special keyboard of XP MCE.

Keywords: SageTV, Sage TV, Microsoft, Windows, MCE, Media Center Edition, Remote, Buttons, Configure, Change, Modify

Q: Will SageTV work on Windows XP MCE?

A: Yes. It works perfectly; no changes required. You should be aware, however, that you cannot use SageTV while the Media Center (or its services) are active.

Q: I have a feeling you are about to tell me to make changes. Will MCE still work if I make these changes?

A: No. Not at all. Don't make these changes if you plan on using MCE for anything at all. The changes are easy enough to reverse, though.

Q: How do I disable the Media Center services so that I can use SageTV without getting strange error messages when I try to watch live TV or record a show?

A: Click "Start --> Run", type "services.msc", and press <enter>. Disable the following two services (do not set them to manual; that is not sufficient):

Media Center Receiver
Media Center Scheduler
Media Center Extender (this last service may not need to be disabled; it might even be required if you want to stream to an XBOX 360; not sure at this time)

Q: Can I use my MCE remote with SageTV?

A: Yes. As of SageTV v. 4.1.13, it seems to work perfectly out of the box. If you have not already done so, you will need to load the default SageTV3.XML STV, and go to "Setup --> Detailed Setup --> Commands --> Remote Config" and choose "MCE Remote". After that, you can switch back to the STV of your choice.

Q: Can I use my MCE keyboard/mouse/remote with SageTV?

A: Yes. As with the remote control, it seems to work perfectly out of the box as of SaveTV v. 4.1.13. If you have not already done so, you will need to load the default SageTV3.XML STV, and go to "Setup --> Detailed Setup --> Commands --> Remote Config" and choose "MCE Remote". After that, you can switch back to the STV of your choice.

Q: There has to be a catch. There is always a catch. Tell me?

A: There is. Both the mouse and keyboard are designed for MCE, so they will cheerfully launch the MCE interface any time you press one of the special buttons like "guide". To prevent this, use "msconfig" (click "Start --> Run", type "msconfig", press <enter>, select the startup tab) to remove the "ehtray" application from the startup. Apparently this program listens for certain keystrokes and then takes what it considers to be the appropriate action.

Q: Can SageTV use the MCE IR blaster to control my satellite/cable box?

A: Unknown at this time.

Q: Is there anything else to watch out for?

A: I'm not sure. I'll update this post if I discover anything else.

Last edited by deria; 04-20-2006 at 04:05 PM.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:56 PM
Sage Icon

For regular XP, install this:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

...then connect the USB receiver. Configure Sage as above. This allows XP Pro to be able to use the MCE Keyboard/Remote. If you have a Harmony remote, load up the MCE codes and you're golden.

P
Old 12-17-2006, 09:55 AM

using Sage TV with an hp sensor and a MCE remote

I dislike Windows MCE that came with my HP Pavillion and I want to change to XP Pro
does anyone know if my HP mce sensor will work under XP Pro and an HP sensor unit.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:54 PM
Sage Fanatic

There's no reason why it shouldn't. I was doing that with the 'original' MCE systems from HP (not the MCE 2005 ones) and they worked fine.

The hardware (internally) should all be the same 'standardized' stuff, just the cases are what is supposed to be different.

-PGPfan
Sage Server: Gigabyte 690AMD m-ATX, Athlon II X4 620 Propus, 3.0 GB ram, (1) VistaView dual analog PCI-e tuner, (2) Avermedia Purity 3D MCE 250's, (1) HD-Homerun, 1.5 TB of hard drives in a Windows Home Server drive pool, Western Digital 300GB 'scratch' disk outside the pool, Gigabit LAN
Sage Clients: MSI DIVA m-ATX, 5.1 channel 100w/channel amplifier card, 2 GB ram, , (1) Hauppauge MVP, (1) SageTV HD-100 Media Storage: unRAID 3.6TB server
Old 01-13-2007, 09:01 PM
Sage User

Green Start button... solutions found.

Having Intellipoint software installed (logitech mouse/keyboard drivers/software) disables the green "start" button on the remote. Don't know why, but it does.

Apparently so does having Fast User switching disabled. (Control Panel > User Accounts > Change the way users log on and off)

Files for starting SageTV with the green button and using the Blaster with stock XP drivers in this thread for SageTV and MCE remotes... Props to Matrix35 for making this happen. http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22718
Old 08-20-2007, 10:10 AM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via AIM to opy01 Send a message via MSN to opy01
Great news! I have been working with Aaron over at the Media Portal forums on some new software he is writing called IR Server Suite. It supports the MCE IR keyboard & mouse and MCE remote with the replacement drivers. I am using the MCE IR keyboard now and it is awesome. I am using the software with my SageMC and it is so much better than HIP. It comes with several pre-programed ir commands for some of the popular STBs. If anyone wants to try this and needs help just PM me and I will do my best to help you get it working.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:16 PM
Sage Advanced User

So does this work on XP or just XP pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
For regular XP, install this:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

...then connect the USB receiver. Configure Sage as above. This allows XP Pro to be able to use the MCE Keyboard/Remote. If you have a Harmony remote, load up the MCE codes and you're golden.

P
It is not clear to me if the MCE remote will work on Sage if I am running XP standard or is XP Pro/MCE required.
I have been using the firefly remote but hate loading beyond media basic just to use it and want a better alternative. Like others I am not looking for any middleware or kludgy workarounds. I just want a plug and play solution that works.
Dave
Seasonic S-12 380w, NEC 3520a Onboard SoundStorm S/PDIF out
WD-Caviar 120GB IDE (System) Seagate (3) Baracuda 250GB sata (Pooled)
GF-7600gs Forceware 93.71 Nvida-Decoder V.4.02.223HDHR-Prime 3-Digital Fios ,HDhomeRun-Qam/FIOS
Clients:GA-MA78GM-S2H -AMD 4800- Sage TV Client-FireFly Remote - Amd x2 Turino LAPTOP - HD-100 + MVP Client DVR Verizon Fios/ B]
Old 08-28-2007, 11:15 AM
Sage Advanced User

Anybody use and MCE remote with XP standard

Bump
GF-7600gs Forceware 93.71 Nvida-Decoder V.4.02.223HDHR-Prime 3-Digital Fios ,HDhomeRun-Qam/FIOS
Clients:GA-MA78GM-S2H -AMD 4800- Sage TV Client-FireFly Remote - Amd x2 Turino LAPTOP - HD-100 + MVP Client DVR Verizon Fios/ B]
Old 08-28-2007, 02:24 PM
Sage Icon

If Update Rollup2 installs, it may work on XP Home...I don't think it would hurt anything. (It may not even install if Pro is required).

P
Old 08-28-2007, 08:13 PM
Sage Advanced User

It seems to install just fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
If Update Rollup2 installs, it may work on XP Home...I don't think it would hurt anything. (It may not even install if Pro is required).

P
Just for kicks I tried installing The rollup 2 update on one of my XP home PC's and it seemed to install just like any other update.
Since I do not own an MCE remote or Ir reciever I can not try it out though. I would feel a lot more comfortable if someone else has tried this and could confirm it works with SageTv native support using XP home.
Surely someone must have tested this already?
Dave
Old 08-31-2007, 07:35 AM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via AIM to opy01 Send a message via MSN to opy01
Quote:
Originally Posted by davefred99 View Post
Like others I am not looking for any middleware or kludgy workarounds. I just want a plug and play solution that works.
Dave
The software I am using is great. I have not missed a show and my blaster has not sent the wrong channel since I have been using it with my MCE ir device. Not to mention it was pretty darn easy to set up.
http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/ir...on-t24849.html
Old 09-06-2007, 11:03 PM
Sage Advanced User

Following up on MCE remote on Xp Home

I went ahead and ordered an MCE Oem Remote and Blaster from Pc Alchemy just for kicks. It only costs $30.00 so what the hay.
Got it unpacked and plugged it in and Win Xp sp2 recognized it right away as an eHome Ir receiver but since I did not yet have the irbus driver files it didn't completely install so I deleted it . Next copied the two IRBUS files (irbus.sys & Irbus.inf) that I had previously extracted from my laptop that has MCE 2005 already on it to a temp folder. Then I simply rebooted and plugged in the IR Blaster and waited till it asked me for the drivers and pointed it to the folder and I was done.
I went into Sage and told it I was using an MCE remote and it worked like it was supposed too. So yes the MCE remote and Blaster will work on XP Home sp2.
One thing that I sort of happened on to was a little program called LM Remote KeyMap written by StephanM that allows you to remap many of the keys and loads profiles for other apps . Its easy to use and is free but if you donate they will give you access to many custom profiles written by users and uploaded.
On thing that it does that will be of use for Firefly Remote users ( I have one of those too) who want to dump BM basic is you can download the base FF drivers and you dont need BM anymore. Cool little program and I am surprised it is not talked about more.
Dave
Old 09-24-2007, 12:14 AM
Sage Icon

You should try EventGhost too, it's free and FireFly and SageTV are directly supported. Works awesome also talks to other clients via TCP. I have an MVP thats controlled via an RF remote. No more IR for me!

I never responded due to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefred99 View Post
Like others I am not looking for any middleware or kludgy workarounds. I just want a plug and play solution that works.
Dave
A comment like that made me think you wouldn't even consider the software specifically designed to deal with remotes. Hopefully some others will at least try getting this working as it is very slick.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:20 PM
Sage User

im kindda confused with this BIG topic.

I just received a HVR-1800 with the MCE kit which has 1 emmiter and the USB blaster and remote. The remote works for selecting menus in Sage but will simply not change the channels of my set-top box.

Is this what you guys are talking about?

I run Vista Ultimate 32bit...

Thanks
Old 08-11-2008, 06:46 PM

id like to try it. Cant get anything to change channels in sage.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:21 PM
SageTVaholic

Thought I would just post this here. If there is a better place please move it.

Here are some instructions for stopping the ehtray in both Vista and MCE 2005.

Disable ehtray.exe Application for MCE Remote
By default when you press the Green Button on your MCE Remote or the Pictures button and a few more buttons on your remote it starts up Windows Media Center application. If you would prefer that nothing is started and that you let the MCE Remote (or a remote that uses those commands like a Harmony) completely control those buttons in Sage then you need to disable the ehtray.exe application. This application is the one that listening for the remote buttons to start the ehshell.exe application which is Windows Media Center.

Vista Media Center Edition ehtray.exe instructions
Even if you disable the task and delete the registry entry Vista will start it again the next time you start Windows Media Center. To disable this from happening you need to perform the following steps:
1. Delete the Registry entry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\ehTray.exe
2. Type cmd in the search box on the WIndows menu. Right click cmd (at the top) and click Run as administrator.
3. In command prompt, type takeown /f C:\Windows\ehome\ehtray.exe
4. A message will be displayed that this completed successfully. This will give you ownership of the file.
5. In same command prompt, type icacls C:\Windows\ehome\ehtray.exe /grant (your username):F NOTE: Substitute (your username) with your current username.
6. A message will be displayed that this completed successfully.
7. In the same command prompt, type cd C:\Windows\ehome to change to the ehome directory.
8. In same command prompt, type rename ehtray.exe ehtray.old
9. Now reboot and ehtray.exe will no longer start when you start Windows or when you start Windows Media Center.
NOTE: You will need to reboot for this setting to take effect.

MCE 2005 ehtray.exe instructions
If you are using MCE 2005 then disabling ehtray.exe is slightly different than Vista. You need to rename ehTray.exe in the Windows/system32/dllcache folder as well as in the eHome folder AFTER killing the ehTray process and removing the registry run entry.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.

Last edited by gplasky; 09-07-2008 at 09:27 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:02 PM
Sage User

Thanks for the info Gerry. Your process stopped ehtray from starting. I've noticed though, the guide button no longer brings up the guide in Sage like it used to. Has anyone else seen this after changing ehtray.exe?
Old 09-24-2008, 04:47 PM
SageTVaholic

Remap the guide button in Sage's Detailed Setup-Commands-Links. Maybe something happened but that should correct it.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:35 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
Thought I would just post this here. If there is a better place please move it.

Here are some instructions for stopping the ehtray in both Vista and MCE 2005.

Disable ehtray.exe Application for MCE Remote
By default when you press the Green Button on your MCE Remote or the Pictures button and a few more buttons on your remote it starts up Windows Media Center application. If you would prefer that nothing is started and that you let the MCE Remote (or a remote that uses those commands like a Harmony) completely control those buttons in Sage then you need to disable the ehtray.exe application. This application is the one that listening for the remote buttons to start the ehshell.exe application which is Windows Media Center.

Vista Media Center Edition ehtray.exe instructions
Even if you disable the task and delete the registry entry Vista will start it again the next time you start Windows Media Center. To disable this from happening you need to perform the following steps:
1. Delete the Registry entry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\ehTray.exe
2. Type cmd in the search box on the WIndows menu. Right click cmd (at the top) and click Run as administrator.
3. In command prompt, type takeown /f C:\Windows\ehome\ehtray.exe
4. A message will be displayed that this completed successfully. This will give you ownership of the file.
5. In same command prompt, type icacls C:\Windows\ehome\ehtray.exe /grant (your username):F NOTE: Substitute (your username) with your current username.
6. A message will be displayed that this completed successfully.
7. In the same command prompt, type cd C:\Windows\ehome to change to the ehome directory.
8. In same command prompt, type rename ehtray.exe ehtray.old
9. Now reboot and ehtray.exe will no longer start when you start Windows or when you start Windows Media Center.
NOTE: You will need to reboot for this setting to take effect.

MCE 2005 ehtray.exe instructions
If you are using MCE 2005 then disabling ehtray.exe is slightly different than Vista. You need to rename ehTray.exe in the Windows/system32/dllcache folder as well as in the eHome folder AFTER killing the ehTray process and removing the registry run entry.

Gerry
If I did this, and now wanted to re-insert ehtray.exe back into the registry, can you tell me the process please.

thanks

ck
Old 10-05-2008, 12:25 PM
SageTVaholic

After deleting ehtray from the registry, for some reason, if I do try and use Media Center now, it can't find a "tuner".

The Hauppauge WinTV app can find the tuner
Sage can find the tuner
But Media Center cannot.

any ideas?